With Pedro Beato up, Red Sox pitching plan comes into focus
|06.16.13 at 12:15 pm ET|
BALTIMORE — The Red Sox recalled righty reliever Pedro Beato prior to Sunday’s series finale against the Orioles, sending Rubby De La Rosa back to Triple-A Pawtucket. Beato was added to the Sox’ 40-man roster, which had stood at 39 players.
De La Rosa, who didn’t make an appearance in his two games with the Red Sox, will be scheduled to jump back into the PawSox’ starting rotation, with Monday serving as his next outing.
With De La Rosa making the start Monday, Alfredo Aceves officially becomes the scheduled starter for one of the games in the Red Sox’ day-night doubleheader with the Rays Tuesday. Aceves will join Felix Doubront to make up the Sox’ starters for Tuesday, although it has yet to be determined which pitcher will pitch in what game.
Some of the determination as to if Doubront or Aceves will pitch the first game depends on which Red Sox catcher might match up best with the Tampa Bay starter. The Rays are slated to throw righties Chris Archer and Jesus Colome. Aceves will be caught by Jarrod Saltalmacchia, who has been the right-hander’s battery-mate for his last two major league starts.
De La Rosa remains a candidate to rejoin the Red Sox for a Saturday start if Clay Buchholz isn’t ready to throw his scheduled bullpen Tuesday and is forced to the 15-day disabled list. Allen Webster, who is coming off a six-inning outing in which he gave up one hit, is also a possibility to get his third major league start, Saturday.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- The Write-Up: Henry Owens
- Cup of Coffee: Owens falters in Futures rematch; Shaw leads PawSox
- Cup of Coffee: Martinez, Heller, Weems lead Salem bats in win
- Cup of Coffee: Light shines bright for Salem
- Players of the Week, 7/14-20: Michael Almanzar & Trey Ball
- Cup of Coffee: Acosta scores four in GCL Sox sweep
- Weekly Notes: Betts returns to Pawtucket, Owens wins ninth straight
- 2014 Draft recap: Sox sign 31 players, with impact potential at the top
- Cup of Coffee: Ranaudo, Johnson impress, Stankiewicz fans nine
- SoxProspects.com Podcast #61: Wild Turkeys, July 2, and the Draft