With Pedro Beato up, Red Sox pitching plan comes into focus
|06.16.13 at 12:15 pm ET|
BALTIMORE — The Red Sox recalled righty reliever Pedro Beato prior to Sunday’s series finale against the Orioles, sending Rubby De La Rosa back to Triple-A Pawtucket. Beato was added to the Sox’ 40-man roster, which had stood at 39 players.
De La Rosa, who didn’t make an appearance in his two games with the Red Sox, will be scheduled to jump back into the PawSox’ starting rotation, with Monday serving as his next outing.
With De La Rosa making the start Monday, Alfredo Aceves officially becomes the scheduled starter for one of the games in the Red Sox’ day-night doubleheader with the Rays Tuesday. Aceves will join Felix Doubront to make up the Sox’ starters for Tuesday, although it has yet to be determined which pitcher will pitch in what game.
Some of the determination as to if Doubront or Aceves will pitch the first game depends on which Red Sox catcher might match up best with the Tampa Bay starter. The Rays are slated to throw righties Chris Archer and Jesus Colome. Aceves will be caught by Jarrod Saltalmacchia, who has been the right-hander’s battery-mate for his last two major league starts.
De La Rosa remains a candidate to rejoin the Red Sox for a Saturday start if Clay Buchholz isn’t ready to throw his scheduled bullpen Tuesday and is forced to the 15-day disabled list. Allen Webster, who is coming off a six-inning outing in which he gave up one hit, is also a possibility to get his third major league start, Saturday.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- What Chris Sale Can Learn from David Price's Letdown Red Sox Debut Season
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Key Questions That Need Answering in Spring Training
- Boston Red Sox: 4 Last-Minute Moves They Should Consider
- David Ortiz's No. 34 to Be Retired by Red Sox: Details and Reaction
- Boston Red Sox: Ranking the Top 10 Prospects Ahead of Spring Training
- Red Sox Spring Training 2017 Preview: Predictions, Players to Watch and...
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo and Puerto Rico capture Caribbean Series title
- Former top 20 prospect Acosta returns to camp with Red Sox in DR
- January Notes: Devers invited to camp; Benintendi gets press
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo leads Caguas to PR championship
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez impress in PR finals
- Scouting Report Update: Groome, Shawaryn lead first Lowell updates
- Scouting Report Updates: GCL updates from Fall Instructs
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez meet in PR finals
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Leon debuts, Elias strikes out seven
- SoxProspects.com's Top Posts of 2016