Wednesday’s Red Sox-Rays matchups: Ryan Dempster vs. Jeremy Hellickson
|06.19.13 at 11:23 am ET|
Dempster (4-7, 4.21 ERA) is coming off a strong outing against the Orioles, in which he only allowed two runs on five hits and five walks through 7 2/3 innings. However, Dempster did not get any run support and received the loss.
One thing Dempster has done well in recent starts is pitch deep into games. The right-hander has lasted at least six innings in his last four starts after pitching fewer than five innings in his previous three starts. He lasted 122 pitches in his last start in Baltimore, which is his second-highest total on the season.
‘Ryan did an outstanding job,’ John Farrell said after the game. ‘Obviously we pushed him a little bit hard in that eighth inning. Felt like that was his game.’
Dempster has struggled against Luke Scott in his career, allowing a triple and a double in seven career plate appearances. However, Dempster has done shut down James Loney throughout his career, holding him to a .105 batting average.
On the other side, Hellickson struggled in his last start, allowing eight runs on 10 hits through 5 2/3 innings. It was Hellickson’s worst start of the season, and he has not pitched six innings or more since May 22.
Hellickson has had good control of his pitches this season, though, especially as of late. The 26-year-old righty has not allowed more than one walk in any of his last seven starts, and has only walked 19 batters in his 14 starts. Since May 11, 67 percent of Hellickson’s pitches have been strikes.
Hellickson has dominated Will Middlebrooks, holding him to an .083 batting average with eight strikeouts in 12 plate appearances. David Ortiz has had a lot more success, hitting two home runs and a triple off the righty while maintaining a .520 on-base percentage.Rays vs. Dempster (RHP)
Kelly Johnson (19 plate appearances): .083 BA/.421 OBP/.167 SLG, 1 double, 1 RBI, 7 walks, 6 strikeouts
James Loney (19): .105/.105/.105, 2 strikeouts
Yunel Escobar (11): .091/.091/.091, 2 doubles
Luke Scott (7): .429/.429/.857, 1 triple, 1 double, 1 RBI, 2 strikeouts
Evan Longoria (5): .200/.200/.800, 1 home run, 1 RBI
Jamey Wright (5): .400/.400/.800, 2 doubles, 2 RBIs, 2 strikeouts
Desmond Jennings (3): .000/.000/.000, 2 strikeouts
Matthew Joyce (3): .333/.333/.333, 1 strikeout
Ben Zobrist (3): .000/.333/.000, 1 walk, 1 strikeout
Jose Lobaton (2): .000/.000/.000, 1 strikeout
Sam Fuld, Jose Molina and Sean Rodriguez have not faced Dempster.
Red Sox vs. Hellickson (RHP)
Dustin Pedroia (27 plate appearances): .200 BA/.259 OBP/.400 SLG, 1 home run, 1 triple, 1 RBI, 2 walks, 3 strikeouts
David Ortiz (25): .368/.520/.789, 2 home runs, 1 triple, 3 RBIs, 6 walks
Jarrod Saltalamacchia (24): .300/.417/.700, 2 home runs, 2 doubles, 4 RBIs, 4 walks, 5 strikeouts
Jacoby Ellsbury (21): .200/.238/.300, 1 triple, 1 RBI, 1 walk, 3 strikeouts
Will Middlebrooks (12): .083/.083/.083, 8 strikeouts
Daniel Nava (8): .143/.250/.143, 1 RBI, 1 walk, 2 strikeouts
Mike Carp (7): .286/.286/.286
Mike Napoli (6): .167/.167/.167, 3 strikeouts
Stephen Drew (5): .400/.400/.600, 1 double, 1 strikeout
Jonny Gomes (5): .200/.200/.800, 1 home run, 1 RBI, 3 strikeouts
Shane Victorino (3): .000/.000/.000, 1 RBI
Jose Iglesias (2): .000/.500/.000, 1 walk, 1 strikeout
Ryan Lavarnway (2): .000/.500/.000, 1 walk, 1 strikeout
Latest from Bleacher Report
- What Chris Sale Can Learn from David Price's Letdown Red Sox Debut Season
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Key Questions That Need Answering in Spring Training
- Boston Red Sox: 4 Last-Minute Moves They Should Consider
- David Ortiz's No. 34 to Be Retired by Red Sox: Details and Reaction
- Boston Red Sox: Ranking the Top 10 Prospects Ahead of Spring Training
- Red Sox Spring Training 2017 Preview: Predictions, Players to Watch and...
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo and Puerto Rico capture Caribbean Series title
- Former top 20 prospect Acosta returns to camp with Red Sox in DR
- January Notes: Devers invited to camp; Benintendi gets press
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo leads Caguas to PR championship
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez impress in PR finals
- Scouting Report Update: Groome, Shawaryn lead first Lowell updates
- Scouting Report Updates: GCL updates from Fall Instructs
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez meet in PR finals
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Leon debuts, Elias strikes out seven
- SoxProspects.com's Top Posts of 2016