Red Sox lineup: Jarrod Saltalamacchia gets day off (finally), Shane Victorino back in
|06.20.13 at 3:05 pm ET|
After catching 27 innings in two days, Jarrod Saltalamacchia gets a much needed day off as the Red Sox start a four-game series in Detroit again the Tigers. Ryan Lavarnway, who was recently recalled from Triple-A Pawtucket, will start behind the dish.
Shane Victorino returns to the Sox lineup tonight after sitting out Wednesday night’s game. Stephen Drew gets the night off against Tigers left-hander (and former Sox minor leaguer) Jose Alvarez while Jose Iglesias will start at shortstop for the Red Sox.
The series highlights some of the biggest bats in the game in sluggers such as Miguel Cabrera, Prince Fielder and David Ortiz. That being the case, perhaps unsurprisingly, the Tigers and Red Sox are also two of the top overall offensive teams in the league, as the Sox rank first in the AL with 5.04 runs per game with the Tigers just behind them at 4.94 runs per contest.
John Lackey (4-5, 3.08) gets the ball for the Red Sox, while Alvarez (1-0, 1.50) will get the start for the Tigers. Alvarez, making his second big league start, held the Cleveland Indians to just one run on three hits over six innings.
Here is the Sox lineup for Thursday’s game:
Shane Victorino RF
David Ortiz DH
Mike Napoli 1B
Jonny Gomes LF
Ryan Lavarnway C
Will Middlebrooks 3B
Jose Iglesias SS
John Lackey P
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Updating the scouting reports - stage two complete
- Fort Report: Moncada Madness
- Podcast Ep. 70: Moncada signs, Ben Badler talks, PawSox sold!
- PawSox sold to group including Lucchino; reports say move to Providence likely
- Fort Report: Top prospects prepare for biggest tests yet
- Report: Red Sox have agreement to sign Moncada for $31.5M
- Unveiling the updated SoxProspects scouting reports, stage one
- Owens, Johnson among eight invited to Red Sox spring training
- Chicago Cubs claim Drake Britton off waivers
- Offseason Notes: Red Sox continue to shape roster