Red Sox lineup: Jarrod Saltalamacchia gets day off (finally), Shane Victorino back in
|06.20.13 at 3:05 pm ET|
After catching 27 innings in two days, Jarrod Saltalamacchia gets a much needed day off as the Red Sox start a four-game series in Detroit again the Tigers. Ryan Lavarnway, who was recently recalled from Triple-A Pawtucket, will start behind the dish.
Shane Victorino returns to the Sox lineup tonight after sitting out Wednesday night’s game. Stephen Drew gets the night off against Tigers left-hander (and former Sox minor leaguer) Jose Alvarez while Jose Iglesias will start at shortstop for the Red Sox.
The series highlights some of the biggest bats in the game in sluggers such as Miguel Cabrera, Prince Fielder and David Ortiz. That being the case, perhaps unsurprisingly, the Tigers and Red Sox are also two of the top overall offensive teams in the league, as the Sox rank first in the AL with 5.04 runs per game with the Tigers just behind them at 4.94 runs per contest.
John Lackey (4-5, 3.08) gets the ball for the Red Sox, while Alvarez (1-0, 1.50) will get the start for the Tigers. Alvarez, making his second big league start, held the Cleveland Indians to just one run on three hits over six innings.
Here is the Sox lineup for Thursday’s game:
Shane Victorino RF
David Ortiz DH
Mike Napoli 1B
Jonny Gomes LF
Ryan Lavarnway C
Will Middlebrooks 3B
Jose Iglesias SS
John Lackey P
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Cup of Coffee: Spinners drop one in extras, timely hitting for Sea Dogs and Red Sox
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi blasts first professional home run
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi debuts, Stankiewicz shines for Salem
- Red Sox purchase contract of pitcher Noe Ramirez
- Johnson named to International League All-Star Team
- Cup of Coffee: Kopech goes six strong, Nava returns to Pawtucket
- Red Sox sign two as international signing period opens
- Cup of Coffee: Devers hits clutch homer, GCL Sox remain unbeaten
- Podcast Ep. 79: Promotions, Signings, Rankings, Fireworks?
- Five Sea Dogs chosen for Eastern League All-Star team