Red Sox lineup: Jarrod Saltalamacchia gets day off (finally), Shane Victorino back in
|06.20.13 at 3:05 pm ET|
After catching 27 innings in two days, Jarrod Saltalamacchia gets a much needed day off as the Red Sox start a four-game series in Detroit again the Tigers. Ryan Lavarnway, who was recently recalled from Triple-A Pawtucket, will start behind the dish.
Shane Victorino returns to the Sox lineup tonight after sitting out Wednesday night’s game. Stephen Drew gets the night off against Tigers left-hander (and former Sox minor leaguer) Jose Alvarez while Jose Iglesias will start at shortstop for the Red Sox.
The series highlights some of the biggest bats in the game in sluggers such as Miguel Cabrera, Prince Fielder and David Ortiz. That being the case, perhaps unsurprisingly, the Tigers and Red Sox are also two of the top overall offensive teams in the league, as the Sox rank first in the AL with 5.04 runs per game with the Tigers just behind them at 4.94 runs per contest.
John Lackey (4-5, 3.08) gets the ball for the Red Sox, while Alvarez (1-0, 1.50) will get the start for the Tigers. Alvarez, making his second big league start, held the Cleveland Indians to just one run on three hits over six innings.
Here is the Sox lineup for Thursday’s game:
Shane Victorino RF
David Ortiz DH
Mike Napoli 1B
Jonny Gomes LF
Ryan Lavarnway C
Will Middlebrooks 3B
Jose Iglesias SS
John Lackey P
Latest from Bleacher Report
- David Ortiz Discusses Retirement from Baseball, Time with Red Sox
- Jackie Bradley Jr. Is Now a Red Sox Star
- Big Papi Cementing His Legend with a Bang
- Ortiz Passes Banks, Mathews for 22nd Place on MLB's HR List
- Red Sox's High-Octane Offense Fueling Rise Back to Prominence
- Red Sox Score Double-Digit Runs for 4th Consecutive Game
- Red Sox 1st Team Since 1999 to Score 13+ Runs in 3 Straight
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi, Devers record multi-hit games
- Cup of Coffee: Almonte throws six no-hit innings
- Cup of Coffee: Owens, others struggle on mound
- Cup of Coffee: Espinoza dominates in mid-week matinee
- Cup of Coffee: Rodriguez fires seven strong innings in rehab start
- Cup of Coffee: Raudes strikes out eight over six scoreless frames
- Weekly Notes: Rodriguez to start tomorrow for Pawtucket
- Cup of Coffee: Ball shines again for Salem
- The Write-Up: Eduardo Rodriguez
- Cup of Coffee: Kemp homers twice, Light hits 101