Red Sox lineup: Jarrod Saltalamacchia gets day off (finally), Shane Victorino back in
|06.20.13 at 3:05 pm ET|
After catching 27 innings in two days, Jarrod Saltalamacchia gets a much needed day off as the Red Sox start a four-game series in Detroit again the Tigers. Ryan Lavarnway, who was recently recalled from Triple-A Pawtucket, will start behind the dish.
Shane Victorino returns to the Sox lineup tonight after sitting out Wednesday night’s game. Stephen Drew gets the night off against Tigers left-hander (and former Sox minor leaguer) Jose Alvarez while Jose Iglesias will start at shortstop for the Red Sox.
The series highlights some of the biggest bats in the game in sluggers such as Miguel Cabrera, Prince Fielder and David Ortiz. That being the case, perhaps unsurprisingly, the Tigers and Red Sox are also two of the top overall offensive teams in the league, as the Sox rank first in the AL with 5.04 runs per game with the Tigers just behind them at 4.94 runs per contest.
John Lackey (4-5, 3.08) gets the ball for the Red Sox, while Alvarez (1-0, 1.50) will get the start for the Tigers. Alvarez, making his second big league start, held the Cleveland Indians to just one run on three hits over six innings.
Here is the Sox lineup for Thursday’s game:
Shane Victorino RF
David Ortiz DH
Mike Napoli 1B
Jonny Gomes LF
Ryan Lavarnway C
Will Middlebrooks 3B
Jose Iglesias SS
John Lackey P
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Cup of Coffee: Rijo powers Salem, Lowell's hopes dashed in heartbreaking loss
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi walk-off bomb keeps Drive in hunt
- Updated: Espinoza to Greenville, Allen to Lowell highlight GCL promotions
- Scouting Scratch: Javier Guerra, Michael Chavis, Nick Longhi
- Cup of Coffee: GCL Red Sox capture second straight league title
- Notes from the Field: Spruill, Marrero, Hernandez in Allentown
- Cup of Coffee: Reign delay for the GCL Red Sox
- Sam Travis highlights six announced for Arizona Fall League
- Moncada's big year nets him multiple South Atlantic League honors
- Cup of Coffee: Perez leads GCL Sox to walk-off win in finals opener