Red Sox notes: Allen Webster to start on Saturday
|06.20.13 at 9:01 pm ET|
With the Red Sox in need of a starter on Saturday and right-hander Rubby De La Rosa — barring another player landing on the DL — unable to be recalled, the team made official that right-hander Allen Webster will be recalled from Triple-A Pawtucket to make a start in Detroit on Saturday. Manager John Farrell told reporters that while both Webster and De La Rosa have been throwing well in recent outings — with both, by and large, making particularly noteworthy strides with their fastball command (a growing issue for Webster at various stages this season in Pawtucket) — the decision was made clear by the fact that Clay Buchholz was placed on the DL on Tuesday, with catcher Ryan Lavarnway getting called up in his place.
Had the Sox been able to hold off until Saturday to make a roster move, then De La Rosa would have been eligible to be called up, just seven days after his most recent summons to the big leagues. However, when the decision was made to call up Lavarnway and Alex Wilson on Tuesday — with both Buchholz and David Ross (7-day concussion list) landing on the DL — De La Rosa is ineligible for his next call-up (barring another player landing on the disabled list) for 10 days from the time of his most recent big league stint, meaning that the earliest he could be called up would be next week.
That made the decision to go with Webster — who had two starts in the big leagues earlier this year — an easy one. Still, it is an opportunity for which the pitcher was also well-positioned based on his most recent outing for Pawtucket, in which he allowed one hit and just one walk in six shutout innings, displaying what one scout called dominating stuff. It is worth noting that he also hit a pair of batters — giving him seven HBPs in his last three starts spanning 15 2/3 innings — but the Sox have seen progress from of late.
‘He’s worked deeper into games. He’s been a little bit more efficient,” Farrell told reporters in Detroit. “The stuff has been very consistent, similar to what we’ve seen here in the two starts and than what he showed us in spring training. We’re looking forward to seeing him here Saturday.’
OTHER RED SOX NOTES
— Clay Buchholz played catch out to 100 feet and threw some pitches on flat ground. Barring a setback, the Sox would like him to throw three simulated innings on Saturday in order to prepare for his return from the disabled list on Tuesday, the earliest possible date for his activation.
— Mike Carp, who hasn’t played since leaving Sunday’s game in Baltimore with a hamstring cramp, is healthy and ready to play. He was not in Thursday’s lineup with the Red Sox set to face left-hander Jose Alvarez of the Tigers, but he will be in the lineup at some point this weekend, Farrell told reporters.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Boston Red Sox: Final Predictions for Each Key Spring Position Battle
- Boston Red Sox: The 5 Most Disappointing Players in Spring Training So...
- David Price Likely to Start Season on DL as He Recovers from Arm Injury
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Players Who Are in Serious Danger of Being Cut or...
- David Price Reportedly Won't Need Elbow Surgery, Will Be Out 7-10 Days
- David Price's Elbow Could Make or Break Red Sox's World Series Dreams
- David Price Underwent MRI on Elbow Injury, Scratched from Spring Training...
- Podcast Ep. #114: Straight Outta A-Ball
- Fort Report: New scouting reports, Meyers motivational WBC experience
- Ockimey making adjustments after second-half swoon
- Notes from the Field: Mata, Anderson, Dalbec, Hill and more from Day Three
- Meyers' big WBC moment now his motivation in camp
- Fort Report: Staff spends the weekend at camp
- Notes from the Field: Devers, Tobias, Garcia and more from Days One and Two
- Fort Report: Owens, Johnson highlight first round of cuts
- Podcast Ep. #113: It's Hard to Develop Baseball Players
- Podcast Ep. #112: If He Dies, He Dies