Red Sox lineup: Jose Iglesias starts, Will Middlebrooks sits
|06.21.13 at 3:05 pm ET|
When the Red Sox made the decision to keep Jose Iglesias on the roster, manager John Farrell suggested that he would get at least two to three starts a week in order to ensure that his big league utility role did not come at the expense of playing time necessary for his further development. But of late, it appears that Iglesias is actually getting quite a bit more time than that initial outline.
Iglesias is once again in the Sox starting lineup for Friday night’s contest against the Tigers, penned in at third base with Will Middlebrooks sitting for the third time in four games. This marks the seventh time in the last eight games in which Iglesias has started, with four starts at third, two at short and one at second. The lone game in which the 23-year-old has sat came in the first game of a day-night doubleheader on Tuesday. In these past six contests, Iglesias is hitting .316/.409/.474. Meanwhile, Friday will mark the fourth time in eight games that Middlebrooks has not been in the lineup. Over the Sox’ last eight games (Middlebrooks’ last four), he’s 1-for-14 with a homer and a walk (though just one strikeout).
Jarrod Saltalamacchia, who is 4-for-6 with two doubles and a homer against Tigers starter Doug Fister, will be behind the plate for Sox starter Jon Lester. For full batter vs. starting pitcher matchups, click here. For complete Red Sox coverage, visit weei.com/redsox.
RED SOX LINEUP
Jon Lester, SP
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Cup of Coffee: Travis, Owens continue hot stretches
- Cup of Coffee: Brian Johnson leads PawSox to shutout victory
- After slow start, Cecchini heating up at the plate, settling into left field
- Cup of Coffee: Watkins earns save after catching 14 innings
- Weekly Notes: Johnson makes Major League debut
- Cup of Coffee: Big offensive performances from Pawtucket, Greenville and Portland
- Cup of Coffee: Cuevas, Travis highlight tight Portland victory
- Cup of Coffee: Tejeda's big night pushes Portland past Fisher Cats
- 2015 Draft Recap: Benintendi a best-case scenario
- Podcast Ep. 81: Dropping in on the Drive, Darren Fenster interview