Red Sox lineup: Jose Iglesias starts, Will Middlebrooks sits
|06.21.13 at 3:05 pm ET|
When the Red Sox made the decision to keep Jose Iglesias on the roster, manager John Farrell suggested that he would get at least two to three starts a week in order to ensure that his big league utility role did not come at the expense of playing time necessary for his further development. But of late, it appears that Iglesias is actually getting quite a bit more time than that initial outline.
Iglesias is once again in the Sox starting lineup for Friday night’s contest against the Tigers, penned in at third base with Will Middlebrooks sitting for the third time in four games. This marks the seventh time in the last eight games in which Iglesias has started, with four starts at third, two at short and one at second. The lone game in which the 23-year-old has sat came in the first game of a day-night doubleheader on Tuesday. In these past six contests, Iglesias is hitting .316/.409/.474. Meanwhile, Friday will mark the fourth time in eight games that Middlebrooks has not been in the lineup. Over the Sox’ last eight games (Middlebrooks’ last four), he’s 1-for-14 with a homer and a walk (though just one strikeout).
Jarrod Saltalamacchia, who is 4-for-6 with two doubles and a homer against Tigers starter Doug Fister, will be behind the plate for Sox starter Jon Lester. For full batter vs. starting pitcher matchups, click here. For complete Red Sox coverage, visit weei.com/redsox.
RED SOX LINEUP
Jon Lester, SP
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Staff Top 40 Rankings, 2014: Chris Hatfield
- SoxProspects.com 2014 season-end award winners
- SoxProspects.com Podcast #64: Playing Out the Stretch
- Weekly Notes: Prospects flock to Boston
- 2014 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- 2014 Fall Instructional League rosters and schedule
- Cup of Coffee: PawSox fall late in Gildan Championship Game
- The Write-Up: Rusney Castillo
- Cup of Coffee: Couch leads PawSox to Series win
- Cup of Coffee: Owens struggles, pushing PawSox to the brink