Red Sox lineup: Jose Iglesias starts, Will Middlebrooks sits
|06.21.13 at 3:05 pm ET|
When the Red Sox made the decision to keep Jose Iglesias on the roster, manager John Farrell suggested that he would get at least two to three starts a week in order to ensure that his big league utility role did not come at the expense of playing time necessary for his further development. But of late, it appears that Iglesias is actually getting quite a bit more time than that initial outline.
Iglesias is once again in the Sox starting lineup for Friday night’s contest against the Tigers, penned in at third base with Will Middlebrooks sitting for the third time in four games. This marks the seventh time in the last eight games in which Iglesias has started, with four starts at third, two at short and one at second. The lone game in which the 23-year-old has sat came in the first game of a day-night doubleheader on Tuesday. In these past six contests, Iglesias is hitting .316/.409/.474. Meanwhile, Friday will mark the fourth time in eight games that Middlebrooks has not been in the lineup. Over the Sox’ last eight games (Middlebrooks’ last four), he’s 1-for-14 with a homer and a walk (though just one strikeout).
Jarrod Saltalamacchia, who is 4-for-6 with two doubles and a homer against Tigers starter Doug Fister, will be behind the plate for Sox starter Jon Lester. For full batter vs. starting pitcher matchups, click here. For complete Red Sox coverage, visit weei.com/redsox.
RED SOX LINEUP
Jon Lester, SP
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Aaron Kurcz dealt to Atlanta for Anthony Varvaro
- Offseason Notes: Trades, signings, and awards
- Marco Hernandez received from Cubs to complete Doubront trade
- Podcast Ep. 69: Hot Stove on High
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo/Vazquez headline action in Puerto Rico
- Trade analysis: Scouting the players in the Wade Miley deal
- Sox acquire Zeke Spruill for Myles Smith in second D-Backs trade
- Justin Masterson: An unlikely All-Star reunites with the Red Sox
- Trade analysis: Scouting the prospects dealt for Porcello
- Astros select Jason Garcia in Rule 5 draft, trade him to Orioles