Red Sox notes: David Ross sidelined indefinitely by latest concussion
|06.21.13 at 8:15 pm ET|
Red Sox catcher David Ross, who was placed on the seven-day concussion DL on Tuesday, visited with Dr. Micky Collins, a concussion specialist at the University of Pittsburgh, on Thursday. Based on the visit, the catcher — who is dealing with a second concussion (after having already been placed on the seven-day concussion DL earlier this year for a separate incident) — has been sent home to recover, with no timetable for his return.
“Clearly, he’s got a concussion. The results were evident in those tests. The recommendation by Dr. Collins was to basically shut down for a period of time here. So he’s going to be away for the team,” manager John Farrell told reporters in Detroit. “He’ll return home to Tallahasee, until his next scheduled appointment with Dr. Collins, which is the first week of July. So the thing we have to really be cautious with here, it’s the second time he suffered one. That will take some additional time to get over his symptoms. There’s no timetable on his return. The only timetable we have is on that next appointment and where he’ll be until then.”
OTHER RED SOX NOTES
— With Ross sidelined, Farrell suggested that he expects call-up Ryan Lavarnway to serve the same complementary role to starter Jarrod Saltalamacchia that Ross had been playing — with his primary action coming on days when the opponent features a left-handed starter.
— With Will Middlebrooks out of the lineup for the fourth time in eight games, sitting in favor of Jose Iglesias in each of those instances, Farrell said that Iglesias simply has outperformed his counterpart to claim an increase in playing time. Prior to the series, the Sox had planned for Middlebrooks to play on Friday, but Iglesias’ steady play and Middlebrooks’ struggles led to a change of course.
“Through competition, Iggy’s playing well,” Farrell told reporters. “In talking with [Middlebrooks], I think he feels like he’s starting to see the ball better. And yet we’ve got that internal competition that I’m responding to, we’re responding to.”
Farrell said the Sox have not gotten to the point where they’d consider sending Middlebrooks to the minors to assure his playing time.
— David Ortiz entered Friday night with 54 RBI, most in the majors since his return from the DL on April 20.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Trade Analysis: Scouting Anthony Ranaudo
- Red Sox deal Anthony Ranaudo to Rangers for Robbie Ross Jr.
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Perth heads to the playoffs
- Rookie Dev Program notes: Ramos healthy, Swihart looks back
- Mookie Betts is prepared for whatever 2015 may bring
- Brian Johnson prepared to follow up stellar 2014 campaign
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Weeks helps Mayaguez advance to finals
- Rookie Development Program easing transition for young players
- Offseason Notes: Veterans Bianchi, Boggs highlight minor league signings
- Red Sox acquire Danny Rosenbaum from Nationals for Dan Butler