Red Sox sign fifth-rounder Corey Littrell, 19th-rounder Gabe Speier
|06.21.13 at 11:15 am ET|
The Red Sox officially have added a pair of left-handers to their system, with fifth-rounder Corey Littrell (out of the University of Kentucky) and 19th-rounder Gabe Speier (Dos Pueblos High School in California) both joining the system.
The 6-foot-3 Littrell went 6-5 with a 3.72 ERA in his junior year at Kentucky, but his stuff was particularly eye-opening in the Cape League following his sophomore year (12.0 strikeouts per nine innings despite a 5.11 ERA). Given his four-pitch mix (a fastball that was 89-93 mph on the Cape, but more typically around 88 mph as a junior this year; curveball; slider; changeup), the Sox plan on developing him as a starter.
“He’s a guy that can throw strikes,” Sox farm director Amiel Sawdaye said recently on “Down on the Farm.” “He presents an out pitch, he’s a left-hander with a four-pitch mix, he’s athletic, a guy we liked coming into the year and we were really excited to get him because we do feel that he has the potential to start.”
(Littrell tweeted a picture of his entry into pro ball after inking his contract yesterday.)
Speier, the nephew of Reds bench coach Chris Speier, was signed away from a commitment to UC Santa Barbara. Baseball America reported that he will receive a $200,000 signing bonus. According to this report, he punched out 87 in 57 2/3 innings as a senior, with a fastball that was clocked in the low- to mid-90s.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red-Hot Red Sox Emerging as Alpha Dog in AL
- David Ortiz Passes Dave Kingman for Most HRs by a Player in His Final...
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Knee and Return
- Price Starting to Become Clutch Ace at Crucial Time
- David Ortiz Comments on Donald Trump
- Yoan Moncada to Be Recalled from Double-A Portland by Red Sox
- Moncada Could Provide Red Sox with Spark
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins
- Podcast Ep. #106: AJ No-Teller
- Weekly Notes: Benintendi & Moncada among award winners
- SoxProspects.com 2016 season-end award winners
- Groome highlights 2016 Fall Instructional League roster
- Moncada named Baseball America's Minor League Player of the Year
- Weekly Notes: Minor league season ends, Moncada struggles in Bigs
- Cup of Coffee: Salem's narrow loss ends season for whole system
- Podcast Ep. #105: MoncadainBoston