Red Sox sign fifth-rounder Corey Littrell, 19th-rounder Gabe Speier
|06.21.13 at 11:15 am ET|
The Red Sox officially have added a pair of left-handers to their system, with fifth-rounder Corey Littrell (out of the University of Kentucky) and 19th-rounder Gabe Speier (Dos Pueblos High School in California) both joining the system.
The 6-foot-3 Littrell went 6-5 with a 3.72 ERA in his junior year at Kentucky, but his stuff was particularly eye-opening in the Cape League following his sophomore year (12.0 strikeouts per nine innings despite a 5.11 ERA). Given his four-pitch mix (a fastball that was 89-93 mph on the Cape, but more typically around 88 mph as a junior this year; curveball; slider; changeup), the Sox plan on developing him as a starter.
“He’s a guy that can throw strikes,” Sox farm director Amiel Sawdaye said recently on “Down on the Farm.” “He presents an out pitch, he’s a left-hander with a four-pitch mix, he’s athletic, a guy we liked coming into the year and we were really excited to get him because we do feel that he has the potential to start.”
(Littrell tweeted a picture of his entry into pro ball after inking his contract yesterday.)
Speier, the nephew of Reds bench coach Chris Speier, was signed away from a commitment to UC Santa Barbara. Baseball America reported that he will receive a $200,000 signing bonus. According to this report, he punched out 87 in 57 2/3 innings as a senior, with a fastball that was clocked in the low- to mid-90s.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Fort Report: Moncada Madness
- Podcast Ep. 70: Moncada signs, Ben Badler talks, PawSox sold!
- PawSox sold to group including Lucchino; reports say move to Providence likely
- Fort Report: Top prospects prepare for biggest tests yet
- Report: Red Sox have agreement to sign Moncada for $31.5M
- Unveiling the updated SoxProspects scouting reports, stage one
- Owens, Johnson among eight invited to Red Sox spring training
- Chicago Cubs claim Drake Britton off waivers
- Offseason Notes: Red Sox continue to shape roster
- Drake Britton designated for assignment as Red Sox sign Ogando