Red Sox sign fifth-rounder Corey Littrell, 19th-rounder Gabe Speier
|06.21.13 at 11:15 am ET|
The Red Sox officially have added a pair of left-handers to their system, with fifth-rounder Corey Littrell (out of the University of Kentucky) and 19th-rounder Gabe Speier (Dos Pueblos High School in California) both joining the system.
The 6-foot-3 Littrell went 6-5 with a 3.72 ERA in his junior year at Kentucky, but his stuff was particularly eye-opening in the Cape League following his sophomore year (12.0 strikeouts per nine innings despite a 5.11 ERA). Given his four-pitch mix (a fastball that was 89-93 mph on the Cape, but more typically around 88 mph as a junior this year; curveball; slider; changeup), the Sox plan on developing him as a starter.
“He’s a guy that can throw strikes,” Sox farm director Amiel Sawdaye said recently on “Down on the Farm.” “He presents an out pitch, he’s a left-hander with a four-pitch mix, he’s athletic, a guy we liked coming into the year and we were really excited to get him because we do feel that he has the potential to start.”
(Littrell tweeted a picture of his entry into pro ball after inking his contract yesterday.)
Speier, the nephew of Reds bench coach Chris Speier, was signed away from a commitment to UC Santa Barbara. Baseball America reported that he will receive a $200,000 signing bonus. According to this report, he punched out 87 in 57 2/3 innings as a senior, with a fastball that was clocked in the low- to mid-90s.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- MLB Reportedly 'Looking Into' Ortiz's Comments for Tampering
- Red Sox Pay Heavy, but Necessary Price to Go for It with Pomeranz
- Moncada Primed to Make Phenom-Loaded Red Sox Even Richer
- Craig Kimbrel Injury Updates on Recovery from Knee Surgery
- Latest on Brad Ziegler to Red Sox
- Brewers Trade INF Aaron Hill to Red Sox
- Bradley, Betts, and Bogaerts Give MLB a New-Age 'Killer B's'
- Scouting Scratch: Luis Alexander Basabe and Michael Chavis
- Cup of Coffee: Procyshen homers, Benintendi triples in victories
- Podcast Ep. #103: Yes Devers loves me, the homers tell me so
- Weekly notes: Benintendi moves to left field
- Cup of Coffee: Dubon collects four hits, Kemp blasts two homers
- Cup of Coffee: Marrero and Devers homer, Dalbec debuts
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi debuts in left, Basabe stays hot
- Cup of Coffee: Boyd spins gem, Hill stays hot
- Cup of Coffee: Mendoza leads DSL 1 in lone affiliate victory
- Scouting Scratch: Tate Matheny and Kyri Washington