Red Sox lineup: Mike Napoli, Will Middlebrooks sit; Mike Carp, Jose Iglesias start vs. Max Scherzer
|06.22.13 at 2:52 pm ET|
With one of the most dominant right-handers in the American League on the mound for the Tigers in Max Scherzer (10-0, 3.08, 10.8 strikeouts per nine), the Red Sox will sit a pair of right-handed hitters who are vulnerable to strikeouts in Will Middlebrooks and Mike Napoli. Mike Carp will get the start at first — his first start since suffering a groin cramp last Sunday in Baltimore — while Jose Iglesias will start for the fifth time in nine games at third base and the seventh time in nine games overall. (Middlebrooks is 0-for-3 with three strikeouts against Scherzer, while Napoli is 1-for-9 with three strikeouts.) David Ortiz is 6-for-10 with two homers against Scherzer. With right-hander Allen Webster on the hill for his third big league start, Jarrod Saltalamacchia will be behind the plate.
RED SOX LINEUP
Allen Webster, SP
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Updates on Red Sox Outfielder Chris Young Injury's
- Moncada Has a 'Following Everywhere We Go'
- AL ERA Leader Steven Wright Filling Red Sox's Need for Co-Ace
- Rusney Castillo Clears Waivers, Sent to Triple-A: Comments, Reaction
- Ted Williams 'Would Have Loved' Ortiz Hitting HR No. 521
- Prospect Profile for Red Sox's 1st-Round Pick Jason Groome
- Can Red Sox Make Real Run at 1,000 Runs in 2016?
- Weekly Notes: Promotions continue and scouting notes
- Cup of Coffee: Ball great again, Benintendi stays hot
- Cup of Coffee: Espinoza, O'Sullivan impress on the mound
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Sam Travis
- Cup of Coffee: GCL opens season, Washington, Moncada mash
- Scouting Scratch: Kevin Steen, Enmanuel De Jesus and more Lowell pitchers
- Cup of Coffee: Beeks, Dubon debut at Double-A, Lowell wins again
- Sources: Mauricio Dubon promoted to Portland
- Scouting Scratch: Michael Kopech
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada stays hot in Portland; Lowell improves to 6-0