Red Sox lineup: Mike Napoli, Will Middlebrooks sit; Mike Carp, Jose Iglesias start vs. Max Scherzer
|06.22.13 at 2:52 pm ET|
With one of the most dominant right-handers in the American League on the mound for the Tigers in Max Scherzer (10-0, 3.08, 10.8 strikeouts per nine), the Red Sox will sit a pair of right-handed hitters who are vulnerable to strikeouts in Will Middlebrooks and Mike Napoli. Mike Carp will get the start at first — his first start since suffering a groin cramp last Sunday in Baltimore — while Jose Iglesias will start for the fifth time in nine games at third base and the seventh time in nine games overall. (Middlebrooks is 0-for-3 with three strikeouts against Scherzer, while Napoli is 1-for-9 with three strikeouts.) David Ortiz is 6-for-10 with two homers against Scherzer. With right-hander Allen Webster on the hill for his third big league start, Jarrod Saltalamacchia will be behind the plate.
RED SOX LINEUP
Allen Webster, SP
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Scouting Scratch: Yoan Moncada
- Owens reassigned to minors in latest roster cuts; Boggs released
- The Write-Up: More reports from Fort Myers
- Karsten Whitson close to his old self in Red Sox system
- 2015 Spring Training Reports
- With injury behind him, Longhi honing selective approach this spring
- Podcast Ep. 71: Spring Training Reports!
- Scouting Scratch: Trey Ball
- Fort Report: SoxProspects crew arrives in Fort Myers
- The Write-Up: More from the Fort