Red Sox lineup: Mike Napoli, Will Middlebrooks sit; Mike Carp, Jose Iglesias start vs. Max Scherzer
|06.22.13 at 2:52 pm ET|
With one of the most dominant right-handers in the American League on the mound for the Tigers in Max Scherzer (10-0, 3.08, 10.8 strikeouts per nine), the Red Sox will sit a pair of right-handed hitters who are vulnerable to strikeouts in Will Middlebrooks and Mike Napoli. Mike Carp will get the start at first — his first start since suffering a groin cramp last Sunday in Baltimore — while Jose Iglesias will start for the fifth time in nine games at third base and the seventh time in nine games overall. (Middlebrooks is 0-for-3 with three strikeouts against Scherzer, while Napoli is 1-for-9 with three strikeouts.) David Ortiz is 6-for-10 with two homers against Scherzer. With right-hander Allen Webster on the hill for his third big league start, Jarrod Saltalamacchia will be behind the plate.
RED SOX LINEUP
Allen Webster, SP
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Trade Analysis: Scouting Anthony Ranaudo
- Red Sox deal Anthony Ranaudo to Rangers for Robbie Ross Jr.
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Perth heads to the playoffs
- Rookie Dev Program notes: Ramos healthy, Swihart looks back
- Mookie Betts is prepared for whatever 2015 may bring
- Brian Johnson prepared to follow up stellar 2014 campaign
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Weeks helps Mayaguez advance to finals
- Rookie Development Program easing transition for young players
- Offseason Notes: Veterans Bianchi, Boggs highlight minor league signings
- Red Sox acquire Danny Rosenbaum from Nationals for Dan Butler