Red Sox lineup: Mike Napoli, Will Middlebrooks sit; Mike Carp, Jose Iglesias start vs. Max Scherzer
|06.22.13 at 2:52 pm ET|
With one of the most dominant right-handers in the American League on the mound for the Tigers in Max Scherzer (10-0, 3.08, 10.8 strikeouts per nine), the Red Sox will sit a pair of right-handed hitters who are vulnerable to strikeouts in Will Middlebrooks and Mike Napoli. Mike Carp will get the start at first — his first start since suffering a groin cramp last Sunday in Baltimore — while Jose Iglesias will start for the fifth time in nine games at third base and the seventh time in nine games overall. (Middlebrooks is 0-for-3 with three strikeouts against Scherzer, while Napoli is 1-for-9 with three strikeouts.) David Ortiz is 6-for-10 with two homers against Scherzer. With right-hander Allen Webster on the hill for his third big league start, Jarrod Saltalamacchia will be behind the plate.
RED SOX LINEUP
Allen Webster, SP
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Boston Red Sox: Final Predictions for Each Key Spring Position Battle
- Boston Red Sox: The 5 Most Disappointing Players in Spring Training So...
- David Price Likely to Start Season on DL as He Recovers from Arm Injury
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Players Who Are in Serious Danger of Being Cut or...
- David Price Reportedly Won't Need Elbow Surgery, Will Be Out 7-10 Days
- David Price's Elbow Could Make or Break Red Sox's World Series Dreams
- David Price Underwent MRI on Elbow Injury, Scratched from Spring Training...
- Fort Report: Another round of cuts as Opening Day nears
- Podcast Ep. #114: Straight Outta A-Ball
- Fort Report: New scouting reports, Meyers motivational WBC experience
- Ockimey making adjustments after second-half swoon
- Notes from the Field: Mata, Anderson, Dalbec, Hill and more from Day Three
- Meyers' big WBC moment now his motivation in camp
- Fort Report: Staff spends the weekend at camp
- Notes from the Field: Devers, Tobias, Garcia and more from Days One and Two
- Fort Report: Owens, Johnson highlight first round of cuts
- Podcast Ep. #113: It's Hard to Develop Baseball Players