Saturday’s Red Sox-Tigers matchups: Allen Webster vs. Max Scherzer
|06.22.13 at 9:41 am ET|
The Red Sox are winless in the first two starts of Allen Webster‘s major league career, but the team and the 23-year-old right-hander hope the third time will be the charm. Webster will square off against Max Scherzer and the Tigers on Saturday night at Comerica Park, his third spot start in as many months for the big league club.
Webster (0-1), one of the two prized pitching prospects to come over in last August’s trade with the Dodgers, owns an 11.74 ERA and 1.96 WHIP in his two starts. He was effective against the Royals in his April 21 major league debut, limiting Kansas City to two runs on five hits in six innings, but had a clunker against the Twins May 8. He lasted just 1 2/3 frames while getting beat up for eight runs on six hits and three walks.
This time around, Webster and right-hander Rubby De La Rosa, the other former Dodgers prospect, were candidates to fill in for Clay Buchholz, who went on the DL this week with lingering neck discomfort.
The Red Sox optioned De La Rosa back to Triple-A Pawtucket Sunday after a brief major league stint in which he didn’t pitch in a single game, so the organization has to wait 10 days to call him up again (unless the Sox place another player on the DL).
That made giving Webster the nod a relatively easy decision.
‘He’s worked deeper into games. He’s been a little bit more efficient,’ John Farrell said Thursday. ‘The stuff has been very consistent, similar to what we’ve seen here in the two starts and then what he showed us in spring training. We’re looking forward to seeing him here Saturday.’
Since returning to the PawSox, Webster has a 3.16 ERA and an 8.62 K/9 rate. He most recently tossed six dominant innings of one-hit, shutout ball against Buffalo, the Blue Jays’ Triple-A affiliate.
As much of a wild card as Webster may be, the right-handed Scherzer (10-0) has been just the opposite for Detroit. He has maintained a 3.08 ERA and 0.91 WHIP and has not allowed more than three earned in a given start in more than a month. Since that game, a May 15 no decision vs. the Astros, Scherzer has posted a 1.93 ERA and averaged seven innings in his six outings.
He scattered seven hits and two walks against the Orioles his last time around, working six innings and allowing one run to register the win.
Scherzer has not seen nearly as much success against his Saturday opponent, however. In six starts, has come out victorious once and owns a 9.21 ERA. The Red Sox have touched him up for a .361/.419/.607 slash line and 15 extra-base hits in the half dozen games.
Red Sox vs. Scherzer (RHP)
David Ortiz (12 plate appearances): .600/.667/1.300, 1 double, 2 home runs, 5 RBIs, 2 walks, 1 strikeout
Dustin Pedroia (10): .300/.300/.900, 2 home runs, 5 RBIs, 1 strikeout
Jacoby Ellsbury (9): .500/.667/1.000, 1 home run, 5 RBIs, 3 walks, 1 strikeout
Mike Napoli (9): .111/.111/.111, 3 strikeouts
Jarrod Saltalamacchia (9): .556/.556/.889, 1 home run, 2 RBIs, 3 strikeouts
Stephen Drew (4): .000/.000/.000, 2 strikeouts
Mike Carp (3): .500/.667/.500, 1 walk, 1 strikeout
Jonny Gomes (3): .000/.000/.000, 2 strikeouts
Will Middlebrooks has struck out all three times he has faced Scherzer.
Daniel Nava (3): .333/.333/.333, 1 strikeout
Shane Victorino (3): .333/.333/.667, 1 double
Tigers vs. Webster (RHP)
No current Tigers batters have faced Webster.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- What Is Patriots' Day? Your Introduction to Boston's Greatest Holiday
- Stock Up, Stock Down for Boston Red Sox's Top 5 Prospects for Week 1
- Jackie Bradley Jr. to Be Placed on 10-Day DL with Knee Injury
- David Price's 1st Bullpen Session Since Elbow Injury Captured on Video
- Chris Sale Produces Dominant Debut Red Sox Needed to See
- 5 Bold Predictions for the Boston Red Sox's 2017 Season
- Boston Red Sox: Complete 2017 Season Preview, Predictions
- System Restart '17: Mid-level pitching
- Cup of Coffee: Boyd, Rei highlight quiet night in system
- System Restart '17: Upper-level pitching
- Cup of Coffee: Shawaryn strikes out nine as Drive cruise
- Minor Notes: Workman dominant in PawSox bullpen
- The Write-Up: Jalen Beeks
- Cup of Coffee: Olt leads Sea Dogs to walkoff win
- Cup of Coffee: Beeks tosses complete-game shutout
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Victor Garcia
- Cup of Coffee: Ockimey homers twice, Salem sweeps twin bill