Shane Victorino suffers another back injury
|06.23.13 at 11:17 pm ET|
Shane Victorino left Sunday’s game for pinch-hitter Daniel Nava in the top of the eighth inning after he experienced back stiffness after running into a while while catching a foul ball in right off the bat of Torii Hunter in the bottom of the fourth. He grounded out softly to short in a subsequent plate appearance before getting lifted.
Manager John Farrell told reporters that Victorino, who missed eight games in late-April due to an injured lower back and endured a 17-game stretch on the DL for an array of core injuries, was suffering from “general soreness, general tightness. He caught the ball and ran into the wall. That’s why he couldn’t swing the bat in his final at-bat.”
Farrell said that Victorino will be examined on Monday. The 32-year-old is hitting .285/.342/.380.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Staff Top 40 Rankings, 2014: Mike Andrews
- Staff Top 40 Rankings, 2014: Ian Cundall
- Staff Top 40 Rankings, 2014: Matt Huegel
- Sox have seventh pick in draft
- Staff Top 40 Rankings, 2014: Chris Hatfield
- SoxProspects.com 2014 season-end award winners
- SoxProspects.com Podcast #64: Playing Out the Stretch
- Weekly Notes: Prospects flock to Boston
- 2014 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- 2014 Fall Instructional League rosters and schedule