Red Sox starter Jon Lester exits in eighth inning due to injury
|06.27.13 at 9:32 pm ET|
Red Sox starter Jon Lester exited with nobody out in the eighth inning during his outing against the Blue Jays Thursday night due to what appeared to be a leg injury.
Both Red Sox manager John Farrell and the training staff were summoned to the mound by catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia after the lefty delivered a 2-0 pitch to Toronto second baseman Emilio Bonifacio. After a brief consultation on the mound, Farrell called for reliever Junichi Tazawa to come in, ending Lester’s night.
Lester walked to the dugout without any semblance of discomfort.
Prior to the injury, the Sox starter had turned in a solid outing. Lester, who didn’t give up a hit until Melky Cabrera‘s one-out single in the fifth inning, left with the Red Sox carrying a 7-2 lead, and a pair of Toronto runners on base. After Tazawa allowed both Rajai Davis and Maicer Izturis to score, Lester was charged with four runs over seven innings, striking out five and walking three. He finished throwing 94 pitches, allowing five hits.
It was Lester’s longest outing since May 25.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Boston Red Sox: Final Predictions for Each Key Spring Position Battle
- Boston Red Sox: The 5 Most Disappointing Players in Spring Training So...
- David Price Likely to Start Season on DL as He Recovers from Arm Injury
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Players Who Are in Serious Danger of Being Cut or...
- David Price Reportedly Won't Need Elbow Surgery, Will Be Out 7-10 Days
- David Price's Elbow Could Make or Break Red Sox's World Series Dreams
- David Price Underwent MRI on Elbow Injury, Scratched from Spring Training...
- Podcast Ep. #114: Straight Outta A-Ball
- Fort Report: New scouting reports, Meyers motivational WBC experience
- Ockimey making adjustments after second-half swoon
- Notes from the Field: Mata, Anderson, Dalbec, Hill and more from Day Three
- Meyers' big WBC moment now his motivation in camp
- Fort Report: Staff spends the weekend at camp
- Notes from the Field: Devers, Tobias, Garcia and more from Days One and Two
- Fort Report: Owens, Johnson highlight first round of cuts
- Podcast Ep. #113: It's Hard to Develop Baseball Players
- Podcast Ep. #112: If He Dies, He Dies