Red Sox starter Jon Lester exits in eighth inning due to injury
|06.27.13 at 9:32 pm ET|
Red Sox starter Jon Lester exited with nobody out in the eighth inning during his outing against the Blue Jays Thursday night due to what appeared to be a leg injury.
Both Red Sox manager John Farrell and the training staff were summoned to the mound by catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia after the lefty delivered a 2-0 pitch to Toronto second baseman Emilio Bonifacio. After a brief consultation on the mound, Farrell called for reliever Junichi Tazawa to come in, ending Lester’s night.
Lester walked to the dugout without any semblance of discomfort.
Prior to the injury, the Sox starter had turned in a solid outing. Lester, who didn’t give up a hit until Melky Cabrera‘s one-out single in the fifth inning, left with the Red Sox carrying a 7-2 lead, and a pair of Toronto runners on base. After Tazawa allowed both Rajai Davis and Maicer Izturis to score, Lester was charged with four runs over seven innings, striking out five and walking three. He finished throwing 94 pitches, allowing five hits.
It was Lester’s longest outing since May 25.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red-Hot Red Sox Emerging as Alpha Dog in AL
- David Ortiz Passes Dave Kingman for Most HRs by a Player in His Final...
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Knee and Return
- Price Starting to Become Clutch Ace at Crucial Time
- David Ortiz Comments on Donald Trump
- Yoan Moncada to Be Recalled from Double-A Portland by Red Sox
- Moncada Could Provide Red Sox with Spark
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins
- Podcast Ep. #106: AJ No-Teller
- Weekly Notes: Benintendi & Moncada among award winners
- SoxProspects.com 2016 season-end award winners
- Groome highlights 2016 Fall Instructional League roster
- Moncada named Baseball America's Minor League Player of the Year
- Weekly Notes: Minor league season ends, Moncada struggles in Bigs