Red Sox starter Jon Lester exits in eighth inning due to injury
|06.27.13 at 9:32 pm ET|
Red Sox starter Jon Lester exited with nobody out in the eighth inning during his outing against the Blue Jays Thursday night due to what appeared to be a leg injury.
Both Red Sox manager John Farrell and the training staff were summoned to the mound by catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia after the lefty delivered a 2-0 pitch to Toronto second baseman Emilio Bonifacio. After a brief consultation on the mound, Farrell called for reliever Junichi Tazawa to come in, ending Lester’s night.
Lester walked to the dugout without any semblance of discomfort.
Prior to the injury, the Sox starter had turned in a solid outing. Lester, who didn’t give up a hit until Melky Cabrera‘s one-out single in the fifth inning, left with the Red Sox carrying a 7-2 lead, and a pair of Toronto runners on base. After Tazawa allowed both Rajai Davis and Maicer Izturis to score, Lester was charged with four runs over seven innings, striking out five and walking three. He finished throwing 94 pitches, allowing five hits.
It was Lester’s longest outing since May 25.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Betts Has Real Chance of Crashing AL MVP Party
- MLB Betting Preview: Red Sox vs. Orioles Odds, Analysis
- David Ortiz Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Foot
- Can Benintendi Be Pennant Race Difference-Maker?
- Updates on Red Sox Star Hanley Ramirez's Injury
- Andrew Benintendi Recalled from Double-a
- Fernando Abad to Red Sox
- Scouting Scratch: Mike Shawaryn and Shaun Anderson
- Cup of Coffee: LaMarre powers Pawtucket, Kopech whiffs 10
- After draft slide, Shawaryn regaining peak form in Lowell
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada shows off power and defense as he eyes the big leagues
- 2014 First-rounder Michael Chavis promoted to High A Salem
- Cup of Coffee: Jason Groome era begins with two scoreless innings
- Weekly Notes: Groome debuts, Kopech and Dalbec stay hot
- Cup of Coffee: Salem wins 10th straight, Hill, Tubbs carry Lowell
- Podcast Ep. #104: BeninBoston
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Luis Alexander Basabe