Red Sox starter Jon Lester exits in eighth inning due to injury
|06.27.13 at 9:32 pm ET|
Red Sox starter Jon Lester exited with nobody out in the eighth inning during his outing against the Blue Jays Thursday night due to what appeared to be a leg injury.
Both Red Sox manager John Farrell and the training staff were summoned to the mound by catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia after the lefty delivered a 2-0 pitch to Toronto second baseman Emilio Bonifacio. After a brief consultation on the mound, Farrell called for reliever Junichi Tazawa to come in, ending Lester’s night.
Lester walked to the dugout without any semblance of discomfort.
Prior to the injury, the Sox starter had turned in a solid outing. Lester, who didn’t give up a hit until Melky Cabrera‘s one-out single in the fifth inning, left with the Red Sox carrying a 7-2 lead, and a pair of Toronto runners on base. After Tazawa allowed both Rajai Davis and Maicer Izturis to score, Lester was charged with four runs over seven innings, striking out five and walking three. He finished throwing 94 pitches, allowing five hits.
It was Lester’s longest outing since May 25.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- MLB Reportedly 'Looking Into' Ortiz's Comments for Tampering
- Red Sox Pay Heavy, but Necessary Price to Go for It with Pomeranz
- Moncada Primed to Make Phenom-Loaded Red Sox Even Richer
- Craig Kimbrel Injury Updates on Recovery from Knee Surgery
- Latest on Brad Ziegler to Red Sox
- Brewers Trade INF Aaron Hill to Red Sox
- Bradley, Betts, and Bogaerts Give MLB a New-Age 'Killer B's'
- Cup of Coffee: Sermo homers three times; Basabe keeps streaking
- Scouting Scratch: Luis Alexander Basabe and Michael Chavis
- Cup of Coffee: Procyshen homers, Benintendi triples in victories
- Podcast Ep. #103: Yes Devers loves me, the homers tell me so
- Weekly notes: Benintendi moves to left field
- Cup of Coffee: Dubon collects four hits, Kemp blasts two homers
- Cup of Coffee: Marrero and Devers homer, Dalbec debuts
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi debuts in left, Basabe stays hot
- Cup of Coffee: Boyd spins gem, Hill stays hot
- Cup of Coffee: Mendoza leads DSL 1 in lone affiliate victory