Red Sox starter Jon Lester exits in eighth inning due to injury
|06.27.13 at 9:32 pm ET|
Red Sox starter Jon Lester exited with nobody out in the eighth inning during his outing against the Blue Jays Thursday night due to what appeared to be a leg injury.
Both Red Sox manager John Farrell and the training staff were summoned to the mound by catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia after the lefty delivered a 2-0 pitch to Toronto second baseman Emilio Bonifacio. After a brief consultation on the mound, Farrell called for reliever Junichi Tazawa to come in, ending Lester’s night.
Lester walked to the dugout without any semblance of discomfort.
Prior to the injury, the Sox starter had turned in a solid outing. Lester, who didn’t give up a hit until Melky Cabrera‘s one-out single in the fifth inning, left with the Red Sox carrying a 7-2 lead, and a pair of Toronto runners on base. After Tazawa allowed both Rajai Davis and Maicer Izturis to score, Lester was charged with four runs over seven innings, striking out five and walking three. He finished throwing 94 pitches, allowing five hits.
It was Lester’s longest outing since May 25.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Cup of Coffee: Swihart leads PawSox hit parade, Rodriguez earns first win
- Cup of Coffee: Ball stymies Mudcats, Brentz leads Pawtucket past Rochester
- Swihart learning to catch the knuckler in Pawtucket
- System Restart 2015, Pt. 7: Low Minors Pitchers
- Cup of Coffee: Brentz walks off for PawSox home opener
- Cup of Coffee: Jackie Bradley Jr. continues hot start, Pawtucket falls in doubleheader
- System Restart 2015, Pt. 6: Mid-Minors Pitchers
- Cup of Coffee: Margot, Longhi, and Cecchini provide the power
- Podcast Ep. 73: Scout Talk and Season's Start
- Cup of Coffee: Abbreviated 2015 debuts for Kopech, Barnes