Friday’s Red Sox-Blue Jays matchups: Allen Webster vs. Josh Johnson
|06.28.13 at 12:35 pm ET|
The Boston-Pawtucket shuttle will get a rest, if only briefly, Friday night, as the Red Sox go with right-hander Allen Webster in place of the injured Clay Buchholz for the second straight turn in the rotation when they host Josh Johnson and the Blue Jays on Friday night at Fenway Park.
It will be Webster’s fourth major league start, but his first that doesn’t necessitate a roster move. All three of his previous outings were spot starts.
Webster (0-2, 11.25 ERA) hasn’t seen much success in the bigs thus far, pitching to the tune of a 2.08 WHIP and a 4.5 BB/9 rate in his sporadic outings. His numbers with Triple-A Pawtucket ‘ 2.98 ERA, 1.00 WHIP ‘ are considerably better.
The 6-foot-2, 190-pounder’s most recent appearance was an ugly one against the Tigers on Saturday. He yielded five runs (all earned) on eight hits and two walks over 4 1/3 innings in an eventual 10-3 loss.
John Farrell, however, stuck by the 23-year-old Webster, saying giving him a second consecutive start — as opposed to calling up Alfredo Aceves or Rubby De La Rosa — could serve as an important part of his maturation.
‘Don’t want to get into a constant up and down with a number of guys and try to create a little continuity,’ Farrell said Tuesday. ‘Part of Allen’s transition is to do just that, to stay with him for the time being, to allow him to go through the rotation a couple of times, work with our staff here and just become a little more comfortable with the big league environment here with us.’
Johnson, a righty, has seen mixed results in his first season since going to the Blue Jays in an offseason trade in which the Marlins also sent Jose Reyes and Emilio Bonifacio north. He has had trouble staying on the mound in recent years, and this one has been no different, having missed nearly a month and a half with inflammation in his right triceps.
Johnson (1-2, 4.60 ERA, 1.49 WHIP) has pitched better since returning from the DL, however. In four June starts he owns a 2.84 ERA and 1.18 WHIP while averaging about a strikeout per inning.
His most recent start happens to be the least impressive in that stretch ‘ though he did get the win for the red-hot Jays against the Orioles. Baltimore hit him around for four runs on seven hits and a walk in six innings.
Shane Victorino is the only Red Sox batter to have a considerable number of at-bats against Johnson. He sports a .762 OPS in 43 plate appearances.
Blue Jays vs. Webster (RHP)
No Blue Jays batters have faced Webster.
Red Sox vs. Johnson (RHP)
Shane Victorino (43 plate appearances): .341/.372/.390, 2 doubles, 2 RBIs, 2 walks, 3 strikeouts
Stephen Drew (11): .273/.273/.273, 2 strikeouts
Jonny Gomes (8): .250/.250/.250: 3 strikeouts
Dustin Pedroia (7): .400/.571/.600, 1 double, 2 walks
David Ortiz (6): .167/.167/.667, 1 home run, 1 RBI
Jarrod Saltalamacchia (6): .000/.000/.000, 2 strikeouts
Jacoby Ellsbury (4): .333/.500/.333, 1 RBI, 1 walk, 1 strikeout
Mike Napoli (4): .250/.250/1.000, 1 home run, 2 RBIs, 2 strikeouts
Daniel Nava (4): .250/.250/.250
Jose Iglesias was hit by a pitch in his only plate appearance against Johnson.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- SoxProspects Staff Announcement: Promotions and new hires!
- Hanley Ramirez: A former top prospect returns
- Ryan Lavarnway designated for assignment as Sandoval signs
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Vazquez shines in Puerto Rico
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Xander Bogaerts
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Mookie Betts
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Christian Vazquez
- SoxProspects.com Podcast #67: Reserved at the Reserve List Deadline
- Swihart, Rodriguez, Coyle and Shaw added to 40-man roster
- Red Sox to decide who to protect from Rule 5 Draft on Thursday