High-ceiling, late-round draftee Ryan Boldt visits Fenway Park
|06.28.13 at 9:04 pm ET|
As the scouting season opened, high school outfielder Ryan Boldt was viewed as a potential first-rounder in 2013. However, after playing just one game, the highly regarded Minnesota high schooler tore the meniscus in his right knee, an injury that required surgery and ended his season before it began.
The combination of a considerable ceiling — when healthy, Boldt profiled as an athletic center fielder who can run, showed the hand-eye coordination and plate discipline to hit for average and get on base and possessed projectable (but not present) power potetntial — with scouting uncertainty and signability questions led Boldt to drop like an anvil in the draft. It was not until the third day of the draft, in the 22nd round, that the Red Sox grabbed him.
While Boldt said the day after being drafted that he intended to honor his scholarship commitment to the University of Nebraska, however, the Sox have maintained open dialogue with him. According to industry sources, the team hosted him for a visit to Boston and Fenway Park on Friday, and with enough financial latitude (based on the signing bonuses they’ve conferred to date) to offer a signing bonus in the vicinity of seven figures, the Sox are trying to put their best foot forward in an effort to persuade Boldt to turn pro rather than enroll at Nebraska.
That formula is no guarantee of success (after all, just two years ago, high school outfielder Senquez Golson stared down a seven-figure bonus offer at Fenway Park on the day of the signing deadline and turned it down), and for now, Boldt has neither signed nor agreed to terms. But obviously, given the visit, the door does not appear completely shut.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Recovery from Knee...
- Complete Offseason Guide, Predictions for the Boston Red Sox
- John Farrell to Return as Red Sox Manager: Latest Contract Details,...
- Red Sox's Disappointing ALDS Sweep Ends Iconic David Ortiz Era on Down...
- Ramirez, Ortiz, Betts Each Record 30+ Home Runs, 100+ RBI
- Indians vs. Red Sox ALDS Game 3: Live Score and Highlights
- David Price Allowed 5 ER in 3.1 IP and Is Now 0-8 in Career Postseason...
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada shines in AFL
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Mauricio Dubon
- Podcast Ep. #107: Instructs 2016
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Three
- Weekly Notes: Scouting Instructs, Moncada reassigned to the minors
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins
- Podcast Ep. #106: AJ No-Teller