High-ceiling, late-round draftee Ryan Boldt visits Fenway Park
|06.28.13 at 9:04 pm ET|
As the scouting season opened, high school outfielder Ryan Boldt was viewed as a potential first-rounder in 2013. However, after playing just one game, the highly regarded Minnesota high schooler tore the meniscus in his right knee, an injury that required surgery and ended his season before it began.
The combination of a considerable ceiling — when healthy, Boldt profiled as an athletic center fielder who can run, showed the hand-eye coordination and plate discipline to hit for average and get on base and possessed projectable (but not present) power potetntial — with scouting uncertainty and signability questions led Boldt to drop like an anvil in the draft. It was not until the third day of the draft, in the 22nd round, that the Red Sox grabbed him.
While Boldt said the day after being drafted that he intended to honor his scholarship commitment to the University of Nebraska, however, the Sox have maintained open dialogue with him. According to industry sources, the team hosted him for a visit to Boston and Fenway Park on Friday, and with enough financial latitude (based on the signing bonuses they’ve conferred to date) to offer a signing bonus in the vicinity of seven figures, the Sox are trying to put their best foot forward in an effort to persuade Boldt to turn pro rather than enroll at Nebraska.
That formula is no guarantee of success (after all, just two years ago, high school outfielder Senquez Golson stared down a seven-figure bonus offer at Fenway Park on the day of the signing deadline and turned it down), and for now, Boldt has neither signed nor agreed to terms. But obviously, given the visit, the door does not appear completely shut.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Weekly Notes: Big league season comes to an end
- The Write-Up: Logan Allen, Travis Lakins, William Cuevas and Yankory Pimentel
- Weekly Notes: Season end awards & front office changes
- SoxProspects.com 2015 season-end award winners
- Travis, Moncada highlight Red Sox minor league awards
- Podcast Ep. 86: Season in Review, Pt. 1
- Weekly Notes: Moncada to play winter ball in Puerto Rico
- 2015 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Weekly Notes: Front office moves, Fall Instructs rosters announced
- Podcast Ep. 85: Final Notes from the Field, Sept. Rankings, Wendell Rijo