Josh Beckett to undergo season-ending surgery
|06.29.13 at 10:28 pm ET|
Dodgers pitcher Josh Beckett, dealt to Los Angeles by the Red Sox last Aug. 24, will have season-ending surgery to address the thoracic outlet syndrome that is believed to be causing numbness in his right hand, the Dodgers announced to reporters. Beckett will undergo the procedure (administered by Dr. Gregory Pearl) on July 8, effectively ending his season.
According to the LA Times, Beckett is expected to be ready for spring training next year. The 33-year-old, who last pitched on May 13, was 0-5 with a 5.19 ERA in eight starts this year for the Dodgers. He is in the third season of a four-year, $68 million deal he signed during the 2010 season.
Beckett was dealt (along with Adrian Gonzalez, Carl Crawford and Nick Punto) by the Sox to the Dodgers last August. Beckett is 2-8 with a 4.07 ERA in 15 starts for Los Angeles. Gonzalez is hitting .296/.350/.466 with 10 homers in 76 games this year for the Dodgers, and .296/.348/.457 in 112 contests dating to the trade. Crawford is hitting .301/.358/.470, though he’s been out since June 1 due to a hamstring injury. Crawford is slated to begin a rehab assignment on Sunday. Punto is hitting .261/.330/.322 in 64 games this year. The Dodgers, meanwhile, entered Sunday 36-43 and in last place in the National League West.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Rookie Dev Program notes: Ramos healthy, Swihart looks back
- Mookie Betts is prepared for whatever 2015 may bring
- Brian Johnson prepared to follow up stellar 2014 campaign
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Weeks helps Mayaguez advance to finals
- Rookie Development Program easing transition for young players
- Offseason Notes: Veterans Bianchi, Boggs highlight minor league signings
- Red Sox acquire Danny Rosenbaum from Nationals for Dan Butler
- Red Sox announce front office moves
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Playoffs begin, Marban pitches well in Australia
- Betts, Castillo highlight Red Sox Rookie Development Program participants