Josh Beckett to undergo season-ending surgery
|06.29.13 at 10:28 pm ET|
Dodgers pitcher Josh Beckett, dealt to Los Angeles by the Red Sox last Aug. 24, will have season-ending surgery to address the thoracic outlet syndrome that is believed to be causing numbness in his right hand, the Dodgers announced to reporters. Beckett will undergo the procedure (administered by Dr. Gregory Pearl) on July 8, effectively ending his season.
According to the LA Times, Beckett is expected to be ready for spring training next year. The 33-year-old, who last pitched on May 13, was 0-5 with a 5.19 ERA in eight starts this year for the Dodgers. He is in the third season of a four-year, $68 million deal he signed during the 2010 season.
Beckett was dealt (along with Adrian Gonzalez, Carl Crawford and Nick Punto) by the Sox to the Dodgers last August. Beckett is 2-8 with a 4.07 ERA in 15 starts for Los Angeles. Gonzalez is hitting .296/.350/.466 with 10 homers in 76 games this year for the Dodgers, and .296/.348/.457 in 112 contests dating to the trade. Crawford is hitting .301/.358/.470, though he’s been out since June 1 due to a hamstring injury. Crawford is slated to begin a rehab assignment on Sunday. Punto is hitting .261/.330/.322 in 64 games this year. The Dodgers, meanwhile, entered Sunday 36-43 and in last place in the National League West.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Updates on Red Sox Outfielder Chris Young Injury's
- Moncada Has a 'Following Everywhere We Go'
- AL ERA Leader Steven Wright Filling Red Sox's Need for Co-Ace
- Rusney Castillo Clears Waivers, Sent to Triple-A: Comments, Reaction
- Ted Williams 'Would Have Loved' Ortiz Hitting HR No. 521
- Prospect Profile for Red Sox's 1st-Round Pick Jason Groome
- Can Red Sox Make Real Run at 1,000 Runs in 2016?
- 2016 Annual Drive - Help Keep SoxProspects Free!
- Moncada and Benintendi named to Futures Game
- Cup of Coffee: Wilkerson strikes out eight to make his case
- Podcast Ep. #100: Your regularly scheduled June programming
- Red Sox promote Miller, option Cuevas
- Weekly Notes: Promotions continue and scouting notes
- Cup of Coffee: Ball great again, Benintendi stays hot
- Cup of Coffee: Espinoza, O'Sullivan impress on the mound
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Sam Travis
- Cup of Coffee: GCL opens season, Washington, Moncada mash