Josh Beckett to undergo season-ending surgery
|06.29.13 at 10:28 pm ET|
Dodgers pitcher Josh Beckett, dealt to Los Angeles by the Red Sox last Aug. 24, will have season-ending surgery to address the thoracic outlet syndrome that is believed to be causing numbness in his right hand, the Dodgers announced to reporters. Beckett will undergo the procedure (administered by Dr. Gregory Pearl) on July 8, effectively ending his season.
According to the LA Times, Beckett is expected to be ready for spring training next year. The 33-year-old, who last pitched on May 13, was 0-5 with a 5.19 ERA in eight starts this year for the Dodgers. He is in the third season of a four-year, $68 million deal he signed during the 2010 season.
Beckett was dealt (along with Adrian Gonzalez, Carl Crawford and Nick Punto) by the Sox to the Dodgers last August. Beckett is 2-8 with a 4.07 ERA in 15 starts for Los Angeles. Gonzalez is hitting .296/.350/.466 with 10 homers in 76 games this year for the Dodgers, and .296/.348/.457 in 112 contests dating to the trade. Crawford is hitting .301/.358/.470, though he’s been out since June 1 due to a hamstring injury. Crawford is slated to begin a rehab assignment on Sunday. Punto is hitting .261/.330/.322 in 64 games this year. The Dodgers, meanwhile, entered Sunday 36-43 and in last place in the National League West.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Chris Sale Says Cutting White Sox Jerseys with Knife Was Mistake
- Boston Red Sox: Non-Roster Invitees with Best Shot to Make 25-Man Roster
- Red Sox Broadcaster Jerry Remy Diagnosed with Lung Cancer Relapse
- What Chris Sale Can Learn from David Price's Letdown Red Sox Debut Season
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Key Questions That Need Answering in Spring Training
- Boston Red Sox: 4 Last-Minute Moves They Should Consider
- David Ortiz's No. 34 to Be Retired by Red Sox: Details and Reaction
- Fort Report: Rankings, returns, & reporting to camp
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo and Puerto Rico capture Caribbean Series title
- Former top 20 prospect Acosta returns to camp with Red Sox in DR
- January Notes: Devers invited to camp; Benintendi gets press
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo leads Caguas to PR championship
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez impress in PR finals
- Scouting Report Update: Groome, Shawaryn lead first Lowell updates
- Scouting Report Updates: GCL updates from Fall Instructs
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez meet in PR finals
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Leon debuts, Elias strikes out seven