Josh Beckett to undergo season-ending surgery
|06.29.13 at 10:28 pm ET|
Dodgers pitcher Josh Beckett, dealt to Los Angeles by the Red Sox last Aug. 24, will have season-ending surgery to address the thoracic outlet syndrome that is believed to be causing numbness in his right hand, the Dodgers announced to reporters. Beckett will undergo the procedure (administered by Dr. Gregory Pearl) on July 8, effectively ending his season.
According to the LA Times, Beckett is expected to be ready for spring training next year. The 33-year-old, who last pitched on May 13, was 0-5 with a 5.19 ERA in eight starts this year for the Dodgers. He is in the third season of a four-year, $68 million deal he signed during the 2010 season.
Beckett was dealt (along with Adrian Gonzalez, Carl Crawford and Nick Punto) by the Sox to the Dodgers last August. Beckett is 2-8 with a 4.07 ERA in 15 starts for Los Angeles. Gonzalez is hitting .296/.350/.466 with 10 homers in 76 games this year for the Dodgers, and .296/.348/.457 in 112 contests dating to the trade. Crawford is hitting .301/.358/.470, though he’s been out since June 1 due to a hamstring injury. Crawford is slated to begin a rehab assignment on Sunday. Punto is hitting .261/.330/.322 in 64 games this year. The Dodgers, meanwhile, entered Sunday 36-43 and in last place in the National League West.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Vazquez gets into a groove, Basabe impresses
- 2015 Top 40 Season in Review: Dayan Diaz and Edwin Escobar (UPDATED)
- 2015 Top 40 Season in Review: Garin Cecchini and Yoan Aybar
- 2015 Top 40 Season in Review: Kevin McAvoy and Bryce Brentz
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Travis leads way as Scottsdale wins AFL title
- 2015 Top 40 Season in Review: Travis Lakins and Jalen Beeks
- Light, Jerez, and Hernandez added to 40-man roster
- Light, Hernandez top list of potential Friday roster additions
- 2015 Top 40 Season in Review: Christopher Acosta and Ben Taylor
- 2015 Top 40 Season in Review: Austin Glorius and Jordan Procyshen