Red Sox lineup: With Stephen Drew out, Jonathan Diaz gets start at third base
|06.29.13 at 1:38 pm ET|
With Stephen Drew going down on Friday night with a hamstring injury, the Red Sox have called up utility infielder Jonathan Diaz. Diaz has played 55 games in Triple-A Pawtucket this year, posting a .242 batting average and .350 on-base percentage.
Diaz is no stranger to the Sox coaching staff as he came up through the Blue Jays organization while Farrell was managing in Toronto. Prior to Saturday’s game Farrell cited the familiarity with Diaz, and his ability to play the middle-infield positions as the main reason for earning his first major league start.
Felix Doubront (4-3, 4.33) gets the start for the Red Sox. Doubront is coming off back-to-back strong starts, where he has pitched 13 innings, striking out six, walking four, allowing just two runs.
Esmil Rogers (3-3,3.46) is making his 6th career appearance, but first start against the Red Sox. In his last start, Rogers took a no-hitter into sixth inning against the Rockies and allowed just one hit after six innings. Rogers is coming off two consecutive quality starts.
For complete team coverage, click here.
Here is the Sox’ lineup:
David Ortiz DH
Mike Napoli 1B
Daniel Nava LF
Jonathan Diaz 3B
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Christian Vazquez
- SoxProspects.com Podcast #67: Reserved at the Reserve List Deadline
- Swihart, Rodriguez, Coyle and Shaw added to 40-man roster
- Red Sox to decide who to protect from Rule 5 Draft on Thursday
- Kukuk arrested, charged with aggravated robbery
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Allen Webster
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Brandon Workman
- Alex Hassan claimed off waivers by Oakland
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: AFL winds down, Vazquez makes debut
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Jackie Bradley, Jr.