Red Sox lineup: With Stephen Drew out, Jonathan Diaz gets start at third base
|06.29.13 at 1:38 pm ET|
With Stephen Drew going down on Friday night with a hamstring injury, the Red Sox have called up utility infielder Jonathan Diaz. Diaz has played 55 games in Triple-A Pawtucket this year, posting a .242 batting average and .350 on-base percentage.
Diaz is no stranger to the Sox coaching staff as he came up through the Blue Jays organization while Farrell was managing in Toronto. Prior to Saturday’s game Farrell cited the familiarity with Diaz, and his ability to play the middle-infield positions as the main reason for earning his first major league start.
Felix Doubront (4-3, 4.33) gets the start for the Red Sox. Doubront is coming off back-to-back strong starts, where he has pitched 13 innings, striking out six, walking four, allowing just two runs.
Esmil Rogers (3-3,3.46) is making his 6th career appearance, but first start against the Red Sox. In his last start, Rogers took a no-hitter into sixth inning against the Rockies and allowed just one hit after six innings. Rogers is coming off two consecutive quality starts.
For complete team coverage, click here.
Here is the Sox’ lineup:
David Ortiz DH
Mike Napoli 1B
Daniel Nava LF
Jonathan Diaz 3B
Latest from Bleacher Report
- What Is Patriots' Day? Your Introduction to Boston's Greatest Holiday
- Stock Up, Stock Down for Boston Red Sox's Top 5 Prospects for Week 1
- Jackie Bradley Jr. to Be Placed on 10-Day DL with Knee Injury
- David Price's 1st Bullpen Session Since Elbow Injury Captured on Video
- Chris Sale Produces Dominant Debut Red Sox Needed to See
- 5 Bold Predictions for the Boston Red Sox's 2017 Season
- Boston Red Sox: Complete 2017 Season Preview, Predictions
- Cup of Coffee: Lakins, Anderson deal, Swihart homers
- Cup of Coffee: Brentz homers in both ends of doubleheader
- Minor Notes: Steen in critical condition after early morning car crash
- Scouting Scratch: Rafael Devers
- System Restart '17: Low-level pitching
- Cup of Coffee: Sexton allows one hit over six innings for Greenville
- System Restart '17: Mid-level pitching
- Cup of Coffee: Boyd, Rei highlight quiet night in system
- System Restart '17: Upper-level pitching
- Cup of Coffee: Shawaryn strikes out nine as Drive cruise