Red Sox lineup: With Stephen Drew out, Jonathan Diaz gets start at third base
|06.29.13 at 1:38 pm ET|
With Stephen Drew going down on Friday night with a hamstring injury, the Red Sox have called up utility infielder Jonathan Diaz. Diaz has played 55 games in Triple-A Pawtucket this year, posting a .242 batting average and .350 on-base percentage.
Diaz is no stranger to the Sox coaching staff as he came up through the Blue Jays organization while Farrell was managing in Toronto. Prior to Saturday’s game Farrell cited the familiarity with Diaz, and his ability to play the middle-infield positions as the main reason for earning his first major league start.
Felix Doubront (4-3, 4.33) gets the start for the Red Sox. Doubront is coming off back-to-back strong starts, where he has pitched 13 innings, striking out six, walking four, allowing just two runs.
Esmil Rogers (3-3,3.46) is making his 6th career appearance, but first start against the Red Sox. In his last start, Rogers took a no-hitter into sixth inning against the Rockies and allowed just one hit after six innings. Rogers is coming off two consecutive quality starts.
For complete team coverage, click here.
Here is the Sox’ lineup:
David Ortiz DH
Mike Napoli 1B
Daniel Nava LF
Jonathan Diaz 3B
Latest from Bleacher Report
- David Ortiz Discusses Retirement from Baseball, Time with Red Sox
- Jackie Bradley Jr. Is Now a Red Sox Star
- Big Papi Cementing His Legend with a Bang
- Ortiz Passes Banks, Mathews for 22nd Place on MLB's HR List
- Red Sox's High-Octane Offense Fueling Rise Back to Prominence
- Red Sox Score Double-Digit Runs for 4th Consecutive Game
- Red Sox 1st Team Since 1999 to Score 13+ Runs in 3 Straight
- Cup of Coffee: Raudes strikes out eight over six scoreless frames
- Weekly Notes: Rodriguez to start tomorrow for Pawtucket
- Cup of Coffee: Ball shines again for Salem
- The Write-Up: Eduardo Rodriguez
- Cup of Coffee: Kemp homers twice, Light hits 101
- Cup of Coffee: Moore comes through in the clutch for Salem
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada wins it in extras
- Cup of Coffee: Elias's career night powers Pawtucket
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi drives in two to boost Couch, Sea Dogs
- Cup of Coffee: Kelly eyes return to Boston with 10 strikeouts