Red Sox lineup: With Stephen Drew out, Jonathan Diaz gets start at third base
|06.29.13 at 1:38 pm ET|
With Stephen Drew going down on Friday night with a hamstring injury, the Red Sox have called up utility infielder Jonathan Diaz. Diaz has played 55 games in Triple-A Pawtucket this year, posting a .242 batting average and .350 on-base percentage.
Diaz is no stranger to the Sox coaching staff as he came up through the Blue Jays organization while Farrell was managing in Toronto. Prior to Saturday’s game Farrell cited the familiarity with Diaz, and his ability to play the middle-infield positions as the main reason for earning his first major league start.
Felix Doubront (4-3, 4.33) gets the start for the Red Sox. Doubront is coming off back-to-back strong starts, where he has pitched 13 innings, striking out six, walking four, allowing just two runs.
Esmil Rogers (3-3,3.46) is making his 6th career appearance, but first start against the Red Sox. In his last start, Rogers took a no-hitter into sixth inning against the Rockies and allowed just one hit after six innings. Rogers is coming off two consecutive quality starts.
For complete team coverage, click here.
Here is the Sox’ lineup:
David Ortiz DH
Mike Napoli 1B
Daniel Nava LF
Jonathan Diaz 3B
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Scouting Report Update: Groome, Shawaryn lead first Lowell updates
- Scouting Report Updates: GCL updates from Fall Instructs
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez meet in PR finals
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Leon debuts, Elias strikes out seven
- SoxProspects.com's Top Posts of 2016
- December Notes: Sox deal key prospects for Sale, Thornburg
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Rodriguez tweaks knee, Castillo rakes
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Ramirez debuts, Vazquez homers
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Abad debuts, Hernandez goes deep again
- Scouting Updates: Mata leads group of DSL player page updates