Sources: Red Sox have not engaged in conversations with Phillies for Michael Young
|06.29.13 at 5:50 pm ET|
According to a major league source, the Red Sox have not engaged in “a single conversation” with Philadelphia regarding a potential trade for infielder Michael Young. Another major league source did say, however, with more than a month to go before the non-waiver trade deadline the 36-year-old could eventually find himself on Boston’s radar in the coming weeks.
The New York Post quoted an industry source as saying the Red Sox “want [Young] badly.” Young could ultimately be a fit, with Jose Iglesias and Stephen Drew currently manning the infield and Will Middlebrooks at Triple-A. The right-handed-hitting veteran, who Sox first baseman Mike Napoli classified in spring training as one of the best teammates he has ever been around, is hitting .289 with a .789 OPS and five home runs while playing primarily 67 of his 70 games in the field at third base for the Phillies.
Young is in the final year of a four-year deal that pays him $16 million per season, although the Phillies only owe the infielder approximately $3 million the rest of the season with Texas picking up $10 million of this season’s tab after dealing Young to Philly in the offseason.
The Phillies (39-42) entered Saturday 7 1/2 games in back of the first-place Braves in the National League East, and 6 1/2 back in the Wild Card race.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Swihart learning to catch the knuckler in Pawtucket
- System Restart 2015, Pt. 7: Low Minors Pitchers
- Cup of Coffee: Brentz walks off for PawSox home opener
- Cup of Coffee: Jackie Bradley Jr. continues hot start, Pawtucket falls in doubleheader
- System Restart 2015, Pt. 6: Mid-Minors Pitchers
- Cup of Coffee: Margot, Longhi, and Cecchini provide the power
- Podcast Ep. 73: Scout Talk and Season's Start
- Cup of Coffee: Abbreviated 2015 debuts for Kopech, Barnes
- Weekly Notes: Let the games begin
- Cup of Coffee: Eduardo Rodriguez picks up where he left off