Sources: Red Sox have not engaged in conversations with Phillies for Michael Young
|06.29.13 at 5:50 pm ET|
According to a major league source, the Red Sox have not engaged in “a single conversation” with Philadelphia regarding a potential trade for infielder Michael Young. Another major league source did say, however, with more than a month to go before the non-waiver trade deadline the 36-year-old could eventually find himself on Boston’s radar in the coming weeks.
The New York Post quoted an industry source as saying the Red Sox “want [Young] badly.” Young could ultimately be a fit, with Jose Iglesias and Stephen Drew currently manning the infield and Will Middlebrooks at Triple-A. The right-handed-hitting veteran, who Sox first baseman Mike Napoli classified in spring training as one of the best teammates he has ever been around, is hitting .289 with a .789 OPS and five home runs while playing primarily 67 of his 70 games in the field at third base for the Phillies.
Young is in the final year of a four-year deal that pays him $16 million per season, although the Phillies only owe the infielder approximately $3 million the rest of the season with Texas picking up $10 million of this season’s tab after dealing Young to Philly in the offseason.
The Phillies (39-42) entered Saturday 7 1/2 games in back of the first-place Braves in the National League East, and 6 1/2 back in the Wild Card race.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- David Ortiz Discusses Retirement from Baseball, Time with Red Sox
- Jackie Bradley Jr. Is Now a Red Sox Star
- Big Papi Cementing His Legend with a Bang
- Ortiz Passes Banks, Mathews for 22nd Place on MLB's HR List
- Red Sox's High-Octane Offense Fueling Rise Back to Prominence
- Red Sox Score Double-Digit Runs for 4th Consecutive Game
- Red Sox 1st Team Since 1999 to Score 13+ Runs in 3 Straight
- Cup of Coffee: Rodriguez fires seven strong innings in rehab start
- Cup of Coffee: Raudes strikes out eight over six scoreless frames
- Weekly Notes: Rodriguez to start tomorrow for Pawtucket
- Cup of Coffee: Ball shines again for Salem
- The Write-Up: Eduardo Rodriguez
- Cup of Coffee: Kemp homers twice, Light hits 101
- Cup of Coffee: Moore comes through in the clutch for Salem
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada wins it in extras
- Cup of Coffee: Elias's career night powers Pawtucket
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi drives in two to boost Couch, Sea Dogs