Sources: Red Sox have not engaged in conversations with Phillies for Michael Young
|06.29.13 at 5:50 pm ET|
According to a major league source, the Red Sox have not engaged in “a single conversation” with Philadelphia regarding a potential trade for infielder Michael Young. Another major league source did say, however, with more than a month to go before the non-waiver trade deadline the 36-year-old could eventually find himself on Boston’s radar in the coming weeks.
The New York Post quoted an industry source as saying the Red Sox “want [Young] badly.” Young could ultimately be a fit, with Jose Iglesias and Stephen Drew currently manning the infield and Will Middlebrooks at Triple-A. The right-handed-hitting veteran, who Sox first baseman Mike Napoli classified in spring training as one of the best teammates he has ever been around, is hitting .289 with a .789 OPS and five home runs while playing primarily 67 of his 70 games in the field at third base for the Phillies.
Young is in the final year of a four-year deal that pays him $16 million per season, although the Phillies only owe the infielder approximately $3 million the rest of the season with Texas picking up $10 million of this season’s tab after dealing Young to Philly in the offseason.
The Phillies (39-42) entered Saturday 7 1/2 games in back of the first-place Braves in the National League East, and 6 1/2 back in the Wild Card race.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Chris Sale Says Cutting White Sox Jerseys with Knife Was Mistake
- Boston Red Sox: Non-Roster Invitees with Best Shot to Make 25-Man Roster
- Red Sox Broadcaster Jerry Remy Diagnosed with Lung Cancer Relapse
- What Chris Sale Can Learn from David Price's Letdown Red Sox Debut Season
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Key Questions That Need Answering in Spring Training
- Boston Red Sox: 4 Last-Minute Moves They Should Consider
- David Ortiz's No. 34 to Be Retired by Red Sox: Details and Reaction
- Fort Report: Rankings, returns, & reporting to camp
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo and Puerto Rico capture Caribbean Series title
- Former top 20 prospect Acosta returns to camp with Red Sox in DR
- January Notes: Devers invited to camp; Benintendi gets press
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo leads Caguas to PR championship
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez impress in PR finals
- Scouting Report Update: Groome, Shawaryn lead first Lowell updates
- Scouting Report Updates: GCL updates from Fall Instructs
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez meet in PR finals
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Leon debuts, Elias strikes out seven