Sources: Red Sox have not engaged in conversations with Phillies for Michael Young
|06.29.13 at 5:50 pm ET|
According to a major league source, the Red Sox have not engaged in “a single conversation” with Philadelphia regarding a potential trade for infielder Michael Young. Another major league source did say, however, with more than a month to go before the non-waiver trade deadline the 36-year-old could eventually find himself on Boston’s radar in the coming weeks.
The New York Post quoted an industry source as saying the Red Sox “want [Young] badly.” Young could ultimately be a fit, with Jose Iglesias and Stephen Drew currently manning the infield and Will Middlebrooks at Triple-A. The right-handed-hitting veteran, who Sox first baseman Mike Napoli classified in spring training as one of the best teammates he has ever been around, is hitting .289 with a .789 OPS and five home runs while playing primarily 67 of his 70 games in the field at third base for the Phillies.
Young is in the final year of a four-year deal that pays him $16 million per season, although the Phillies only owe the infielder approximately $3 million the rest of the season with Texas picking up $10 million of this season’s tab after dealing Young to Philly in the offseason.
The Phillies (39-42) entered Saturday 7 1/2 games in back of the first-place Braves in the National League East, and 6 1/2 back in the Wild Card race.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Sam Travis highlights six announced for Arizona Fall League
- Moncada's big year nets him multiple South Atlantic League honors
- Cup of Coffee: Perez leads GCL Sox to walk-off win in finals opener
- Weekly Notes: Greenville makes playoff push, GCL Sox reach finals
- Cup of Coffee: Espinoza, De Jesus pitch Sox into GCL finals
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi powers Greenville to victory
- Cup of Coffee: Callahan helps move Greenville into wild card lead
- Podcast Ep. 84: Mailbag extravaganza!
- Cup of Coffee: Longhi, Watkins power Greenville playoff push
- Cup of Coffee: Drive step closer to playoffs behind Drehoff, Moncada