Stephen Drew unsure how much hamstring will set him back
|06.29.13 at 2:32 am ET|
‘We’ll see tomorrow,’ the shortstop said, ‘have a better idea of it.’
Drew first felt the tightness in the back of his right leg when rounding first base on what was resulted in a fourth-inning double.
After being checked on by Red Sox manager John Farrell and trainer Masai Takashi at second base, Drew exited the game. He was replaced by Brandon Snyder, who played third while Jose Iglesias moved over to shortstop.
Drew explained that he had never had hamstring issues in his right leg, having previously strained his left hamstring in 2009 (resulting in a trip to the 15-day disabled list).
‘I haven’t had that many hamstring deals in my career,’ he said. ‘I had one early, but this is nothing like last time I did it. I tore it (then), so I know I didn’t do that. Hamstrings are funny, but I’m staying positive and hopefully it’s maybe one or two games and we’ll go from there. It’s just coming around (first) really tightened up on me.’
The frustration for Drew also stems from the fact that he had started swinging the bat with appreciably more success of late. The lefty hitter had notched a pair of hits before leaving Friday night’s game, giving him a .324 batting average and .954 OPS in his last 10 games.
‘Normally you have an idea, but my legs have felt great this whole year,’ he said. ‘It’s kind of ironic. It tightened up definitely, but hopefully I won’t miss much time.’
If Drew is forced to miss a good chunk of games, there is the possibility the Red Sox could recall third baseman Will Middlebrooks from Triple-A Pawtucket. Middlebrooks has hit safely in all three games he has played with the PawSox since being demoted, going 3-for-13.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Chris Sale Says Cutting White Sox Jerseys with Knife Was Mistake
- Boston Red Sox: Non-Roster Invitees with Best Shot to Make 25-Man Roster
- Red Sox Broadcaster Jerry Remy Diagnosed with Lung Cancer Relapse
- What Chris Sale Can Learn from David Price's Letdown Red Sox Debut Season
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Key Questions That Need Answering in Spring Training
- Boston Red Sox: 4 Last-Minute Moves They Should Consider
- David Ortiz's No. 34 to Be Retired by Red Sox: Details and Reaction
- Fort Report: Rankings, returns, & reporting to camp
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo and Puerto Rico capture Caribbean Series title
- Former top 20 prospect Acosta returns to camp with Red Sox in DR
- January Notes: Devers invited to camp; Benintendi gets press
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo leads Caguas to PR championship
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez impress in PR finals
- Scouting Report Update: Groome, Shawaryn lead first Lowell updates
- Scouting Report Updates: GCL updates from Fall Instructs
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez meet in PR finals
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Leon debuts, Elias strikes out seven