Stephen Drew unsure how much hamstring will set him back
|06.29.13 at 2:32 am ET|
‘We’ll see tomorrow,’ the shortstop said, ‘have a better idea of it.’
Drew first felt the tightness in the back of his right leg when rounding first base on what was resulted in a fourth-inning double.
After being checked on by Red Sox manager John Farrell and trainer Masai Takashi at second base, Drew exited the game. He was replaced by Brandon Snyder, who played third while Jose Iglesias moved over to shortstop.
Drew explained that he had never had hamstring issues in his right leg, having previously strained his left hamstring in 2009 (resulting in a trip to the 15-day disabled list).
‘I haven’t had that many hamstring deals in my career,’ he said. ‘I had one early, but this is nothing like last time I did it. I tore it (then), so I know I didn’t do that. Hamstrings are funny, but I’m staying positive and hopefully it’s maybe one or two games and we’ll go from there. It’s just coming around (first) really tightened up on me.’
The frustration for Drew also stems from the fact that he had started swinging the bat with appreciably more success of late. The lefty hitter had notched a pair of hits before leaving Friday night’s game, giving him a .324 batting average and .954 OPS in his last 10 games.
‘Normally you have an idea, but my legs have felt great this whole year,’ he said. ‘It’s kind of ironic. It tightened up definitely, but hopefully I won’t miss much time.’
If Drew is forced to miss a good chunk of games, there is the possibility the Red Sox could recall third baseman Will Middlebrooks from Triple-A Pawtucket. Middlebrooks has hit safely in all three games he has played with the PawSox since being demoted, going 3-for-13.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red-Hot Red Sox Emerging as Alpha Dog in AL
- David Ortiz Passes Dave Kingman for Most HRs by a Player in His Final...
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Knee and Return
- Price Starting to Become Clutch Ace at Crucial Time
- David Ortiz Comments on Donald Trump
- Yoan Moncada to Be Recalled from Double-A Portland by Red Sox
- Moncada Could Provide Red Sox with Spark
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins
- Podcast Ep. #106: AJ No-Teller
- Weekly Notes: Benintendi & Moncada among award winners
- SoxProspects.com 2016 season-end award winners
- Groome highlights 2016 Fall Instructional League roster
- Moncada named Baseball America's Minor League Player of the Year
- Weekly Notes: Minor league season ends, Moncada struggles in Bigs
- Cup of Coffee: Salem's narrow loss ends season for whole system