Stephen Drew unsure how much hamstring will set him back
|06.29.13 at 2:32 am ET|
‘We’ll see tomorrow,’ the shortstop said, ‘have a better idea of it.’
Drew first felt the tightness in the back of his right leg when rounding first base on what was resulted in a fourth-inning double.
After being checked on by Red Sox manager John Farrell and trainer Masai Takashi at second base, Drew exited the game. He was replaced by Brandon Snyder, who played third while Jose Iglesias moved over to shortstop.
Drew explained that he had never had hamstring issues in his right leg, having previously strained his left hamstring in 2009 (resulting in a trip to the 15-day disabled list).
‘I haven’t had that many hamstring deals in my career,’ he said. ‘I had one early, but this is nothing like last time I did it. I tore it (then), so I know I didn’t do that. Hamstrings are funny, but I’m staying positive and hopefully it’s maybe one or two games and we’ll go from there. It’s just coming around (first) really tightened up on me.’
The frustration for Drew also stems from the fact that he had started swinging the bat with appreciably more success of late. The lefty hitter had notched a pair of hits before leaving Friday night’s game, giving him a .324 batting average and .954 OPS in his last 10 games.
‘Normally you have an idea, but my legs have felt great this whole year,’ he said. ‘It’s kind of ironic. It tightened up definitely, but hopefully I won’t miss much time.’
If Drew is forced to miss a good chunk of games, there is the possibility the Red Sox could recall third baseman Will Middlebrooks from Triple-A Pawtucket. Middlebrooks has hit safely in all three games he has played with the PawSox since being demoted, going 3-for-13.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Fort Report: Cuts, injuries and positional battles
- System Restart 2015, Pt. 1: Catchers
- With new delivery honed, Haley looks to build on breakout season
- Scouting Scratch: Yoan Moncada
- 2015 Spring Training Reports
- Owens reassigned to minors in latest roster cuts; Boggs released
- The Write-Up: More reports from Fort Myers
- Karsten Whitson close to his old self in Red Sox system
- With injury behind him, Longhi honing selective approach this spring
- Podcast Ep. 71: Spring Training Reports!