Sunday’s Red Sox-Blue Jays matchups: Ryan Dempster vs. Mark Buehrle
|06.30.13 at 8:09 am ET|
Dempster (5-8, 4.15 ERA) is having a good month of June, as he has lasted at least six innings and has not allowed more than three runs in any of his five starts. However, Dempster continues to struggle with giving up the long ball, as he has allowed at least one home run in each of his last six starts.
Last time out, Dempster only allowed two runs while striking out four through six innings pitched in a win over the Rockies. The first run Dempster allowed came on a long home run off the bat of Wilin Rosario, who crushed the ball far over the Green Monster. It was the 15th solo home run he allowed this season.
“I didn’t see it,” Dempster said. “I think it hit a car on the turnpike, probably. It happens.”
Dempster has had good success against Blue Jays slugger Edwin Encarnacion, who is only batting .176 against him through 20 plate appearances. However, Jose Reyes has had no trouble hitting against Dempster, and is batting .333 with a triple against the right-hander.
Buehrle (4-5, 4.73 ERA) is back in the American League after spending one season in Miami in 2012. After a tough first two months in which he had a 5.51 ERA, Buehrle has improved to have a 3.00 ERA through five starts in June.
The left-hander struggled with his command in his last start, recording four walks and only throwing strikes with 58.6 percent of his pitches. He has struggled to make hitters miss with his pitches, and has thrown fewer than 10 swinging strikes in his last seven starts.
Buehrle, who spent the first 11 seasons of his career with the White Sox, has a lot of experience with Red Sox hitters. While Buehrle has the advantage of a lefty-on-lefty matchup against David Ortiz, the Red Sox slugger has crushed Buehrle in his career, slugging .627 with three homers and nine doubles through 71 plate appearances in his career.
Blue Jays vs. Dempster (RHP)
Emilio Bonifacio (22 plate appearances): .250 BA/.318 OBP/.450 SLG, 1 home run, 1 double, 3 RBIs, 2 walks, 4 strikeouts
Edwin Encarnacion (20): .176/.300/.353, 1 home run, 3 RBIs, 3 walks, 3 strikeouts
Jose Bautista (18): .267/.389/.533, 1 home run, 1 double, 2 RBIs, 3 walks, 2 strikeouts
Colby Rasmus (16): .143/.250/.214, 1 double, 2 walks, 5 strikeouts
Jose Reyes (13): .333/.385/.500, 1 triple, 2 RBIs, 1 walk, 3 strikeouts
J.P. Arencibia (6): .167/.167/.167, 2 strikeouts
Mark Derosa (6): .000/.000/.000, 2 strikeouts
Adam Lind (6): .200/.333/.200, 1 walk, 2 strikeouts
Josh Thole (5): .200/.200/.400, 1 double, 1 strikeout
Munenori Kawasaki (4): .333/.500/.333, 2 RBIs, 1 walk
Rajai Davis (1): .000/.000/.000
Maicer Izturis (1): .000/.000/.000
Red Sox vs. Buehrle (LHP)
David Ortiz (71 plate appearances): .358 BA/.394 OBP/.627 SLG, 3 home run, 9 doubles, 13 RBIs, 4 walks, 7 strikeouts
Dustin Pedroia (29): .333/.357/.444, 3 doubles, 1 walk, 1 strikeout
Jonny Gomes (23): .333/.435/.500, 1 triple, 1 double, 2 RBIs, 3 walks, 2 strikeouts
Mike Napoli (19): .188/.263/.375, 1 home run, 2 RBIs, 2 walks, 6 strikeouts
Jacoby Ellsbury (17): .294/.294/.471, 1 triple, 1 double, 2 strikeouts
Shane Victorino (15): .357/.333/.643, 1 home run, 1 double, 2 RBIs, 2 strikeouts
Stephen Drew (6): .200/.333/.800, 1 home run, 2 RBIs, 1 walk
Daniel Nava (3): .333/.333/1.333, 1 home run, 1 RBI
Jarrod Saltalamacchia (3): .000/.000/.000
Mike Carp, Jose Iglesias Ryan Lavarnway and Brandon Snyder have not faced Buehrle.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Aaron Kurcz dealt to Atlanta for Anthony Varvaro
- Offseason Notes: Trades, signings, and awards
- Marco Hernandez received from Cubs to complete Doubront trade
- Podcast Ep. 69: Hot Stove on High
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo/Vazquez headline action in Puerto Rico
- Trade analysis: Scouting the players in the Wade Miley deal
- Sox acquire Zeke Spruill for Myles Smith in second D-Backs trade
- Justin Masterson: An unlikely All-Star reunites with the Red Sox
- Trade analysis: Scouting the prospects dealt for Porcello
- Astros select Jason Garcia in Rule 5 draft, trade him to Orioles