Reports: Red Sox agree to terms with Dominican third baseman Rafael Devers, Venezuelan lefty Emmanuel DeJesus
|07.02.13 at 11:42 am ET|
According to reporter Dionisio Soldevila (via twitter), the Red Sox have agreed to a deal with third baseman Rafael Devers — considered one of the top hitters on the international amateur free agent market this year — for $1.5 million. Another reporter covering the Dominican Summer League, Jose Mercado, suggested that the Red Sox would sign Devers for $1.6 million.
For now, according to a source, the Red Sox have not officially signed Devers. Indeed, it could be some time before there is a deal in place that is approved by Major League Baseball. Still, there is general industry consensus that the Red Sox will indeed land the third baseman, who shows intriguing power potential while having been an impressive performer in showcase competition.
“He’s definitely one of the top bats on the market,” said Ben Badler of Baseball America on WEEI. “[He has] a really nice swing. … It’s really short, really compact to the ball, he stays inside the ball and he’s got really good bat speed. … There are guys with bigger power on the market. It’s average power right now, average raw power, but you can see the potential for him to have above-average raw power down the road.”
Badler suggested that Devers has displayed an advanced offensive approach. That, in combination with his projectable power, makes him an intriguing prospect — especially if he is able to remain at third and does not physically outgrow the position.
“It’s kind of an endomorph body type. He looks this way at 16; what will he look like at 23? But sometimes it improves,” said Badler. “If Devers can stay at third base, you have, I think, a really high-ceiling prospect who’s going to hit a lot and hit in games. … If he can stay at third base, I think he’s a really exciting prospect there.”
To hear more on Devers and other international amateur free agents whom the Sox are considered front-runners to sign (such as Emmanuel DeJesus, who, according to Jesse Sanchez of MLB.com (via twitter), has a $780,000 agreement with the Sox), click here to listen to the interview with Baseball America’s Badler and Red Sox international scouting director Eddie Romero.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Christian Vazquez
- SoxProspects.com Podcast #67: Reserved at the Reserve List Deadline
- Swihart, Rodriguez, Coyle and Shaw added to 40-man roster
- Red Sox to decide who to protect from Rule 5 Draft on Thursday
- Kukuk arrested, charged with aggravated robbery
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Allen Webster
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Brandon Workman
- Alex Hassan claimed off waivers by Oakland
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: AFL winds down, Vazquez makes debut
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Jackie Bradley, Jr.