Reports: Red Sox agree to terms with Dominican third baseman Rafael Devers, Venezuelan lefty Emmanuel DeJesus
|07.02.13 at 11:42 am ET|
According to reporter Dionisio Soldevila (via twitter), the Red Sox have agreed to a deal with third baseman Rafael Devers — considered one of the top hitters on the international amateur free agent market this year — for $1.5 million. Another reporter covering the Dominican Summer League, Jose Mercado, suggested that the Red Sox would sign Devers for $1.6 million.
For now, according to a source, the Red Sox have not officially signed Devers. Indeed, it could be some time before there is a deal in place that is approved by Major League Baseball. Still, there is general industry consensus that the Red Sox will indeed land the third baseman, who shows intriguing power potential while having been an impressive performer in showcase competition.
“He’s definitely one of the top bats on the market,” said Ben Badler of Baseball America on WEEI. “[He has] a really nice swing. … It’s really short, really compact to the ball, he stays inside the ball and he’s got really good bat speed. … There are guys with bigger power on the market. It’s average power right now, average raw power, but you can see the potential for him to have above-average raw power down the road.”
Badler suggested that Devers has displayed an advanced offensive approach. That, in combination with his projectable power, makes him an intriguing prospect — especially if he is able to remain at third and does not physically outgrow the position.
“It’s kind of an endomorph body type. He looks this way at 16; what will he look like at 23? But sometimes it improves,” said Badler. “If Devers can stay at third base, you have, I think, a really high-ceiling prospect who’s going to hit a lot and hit in games. … If he can stay at third base, I think he’s a really exciting prospect there.”
To hear more on Devers and other international amateur free agents whom the Sox are considered front-runners to sign (such as Emmanuel DeJesus, who, according to Jesse Sanchez of MLB.com (via twitter), has a $780,000 agreement with the Sox), click here to listen to the interview with Baseball America’s Badler and Red Sox international scouting director Eddie Romero.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red Sox Will Not Fill GM Position After Mike Hazen's Hiring by...
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Recovery from Knee...
- Complete Offseason Guide, Predictions for the Boston Red Sox
- John Farrell to Return as Red Sox Manager: Latest Contract Details,...
- Red Sox's Disappointing ALDS Sweep Ends Iconic David Ortiz Era on Down...
- Ramirez, Ortiz, Betts Each Record 30+ Home Runs, 100+ RBI
- Indians vs. Red Sox ALDS Game 3: Live Score and Highlights
- FallWinter League Roundup: Dominican League begins, Haley solid
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada shines in AFL
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Mauricio Dubon
- Podcast Ep. #107: Instructs 2016
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Three
- Weekly Notes: Scouting Instructs, Moncada reassigned to the minors
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins