Jose Iglesias: Rookie of the Month honor ‘pretty special’
|07.03.13 at 6:05 pm ET|
Red Sox infielder Jose Iglesias has been named the American League Rookie of the Month for the month of June. He is the first Red Sox rookie to earn this award since Jacoby Ellsbury, who won it in the 2007 season.
Iglesias, known most commonly for his glove, has surprised many with his continued offensive surge since his re-call from Triple-A Pawtucket.
In 135 at-bats this season, Iglesias has 56 hits (an average of .415) including nine doubles, two triples and a home run. His on-base percentage is a gaudy .459.
Iglesias spoke to the media prior to Wednesday’s game about winning the award.
“It is big. It’s pretty special,” said Iglesias. “Work paid off and I’m really happy.”
Iglesias struggled mightily at the plate in 2012, collecting just eight hits in 25 games for an average of .118, but has yet to cool off this season. Iglesias said he hasn’t made any dramatic changes that can explain his success this season, but admitted he feels pretty locked in at the plate.
“I think it’s about being consistent in my routine every day and get better in each aspect and try to hopefully stay healthy. That’s the most important thing,” said Iglesias. “And I think I’ve been able to put some good swings and find some holes.”
He certainly has done his fair share of finding holes in 2013. So far this season, 17 of his 56 hits have been infield hits.
The award for June suggests that Iglesias’ name is in the mix for American League Rookie of the Year, and while Iglesias admitted to having thoughts about that honor, he was adamant that winning Rookie of the Year was not his main goal.
“I think about it. But not when the game starts. When the game starts it’s all about this game, one day at a time. I would love to win that, but that’s not my goal,” he said, and then added firmly, “My goal is to take this team to the playoffs and try and win championships.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Cup of Coffee: Witte walks off for Portland, Buttrey goes seven strong for Salem
- Cup of Coffee: Kopech drives Greenville past Charleston
- Cup of Coffee: Gunkel grabs first Double-A win, Craig reaches five times
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada breaks out, PawSox lose heartbreaker
- Cup of Coffee: Johnson goes six strong, Moncada picks up first hit
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada era begins; phenom scores twice in slugfest
- Weekly Notes: Moncada set to debut, Brian Johnson keeps producing
- Cup of Coffee: Kopech and Haley solid, Tejeda swinging a hot bat
- Yoan Moncada to debut with Greenville on Monday
- Cup of Coffee: Witte nearly hits for the cycle, Devers strong for Greenville