Red Sox sign University of Florida QB Jeff Driskel
|07.03.13 at 10:39 pm ET|
The Red Sox signed 29th round draft pick Jeff Driskel out of the University of Florida, a player who is known for his exploits on the gridiron rather than the baseball field. Driskel is the starting quarterback for the Gators, for whom he started as a sophomore this past season and completed 63.7 percent of pass attempts while throwing 12 touchdowns and getting picked five times. The Sox’ selection and signing of Driskel represents a somewhat surprising development given that he hadn’t played baseball competitively since high school.
But the Red Sox saw a chance to secure the rights to a player who was a well-regarded talent as a high school center fielder. In signing Driskel, the Sox secured his rights if there comes a point when he cannot continue his football career. He will still play quarterback for the Gators as a junior in the fall.
Driskel continued a Sox pattern in the last two drafts of taking well-regarded football prospects with some baseball past. The team selected and signed University of Washington linebacker Shaq Thompson in the 18th round in 2012; Thompson played in the Rookie Level Gulf Coast League for the Sox last summer and again this spring before deciding this summer to commit full-time to his football career. The team also drafted Brandon Magee, a linebacker out of Arizona State, and signed him in order to secure his rights should his football career conclude. For now, Magee is pursuing his football career after signing with the Cowboys as an undrafted free agent, but should he not get a pro football opportunity, he could enter the Sox’ minor league system.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Shaw Becoming Star After Being Thrown in Spotlight by Sandoval Benching
- Ortiz, Red Sox Look Headed for 1 More Exciting Run
- Updates on Xander Bogaerts' Wrist and Return
- Latest Updates on Joe Kelly's Injury
- Even Price Can't Stop Red Sox Rotation Giving Bad Feeling of Deja Vu
- Sandoval's Ex-Trainer Says He Has Eating Problem
- Ortiz Closing in on Top 25 in Career Home Runs
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Nick Longhi
- Cup of Coffee: Cuevas and Maxwell lead the PawSox
- Podcast Ep. 95: One month in, start it up again
- Weekly Notes: Rodriguez, Smith begin rehab assignments
- Cup of Coffee: Rijo breaks out, rain washes Salem and Greenville
- Cup of Coffee: Haley, Lakins continue strong starts
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi continues surge, Smith rehabs
- Cup of Coffee: E-Rod rehabs, Ball debuts, Benintendi big again
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi powers Salem past Frederick
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Michael Chavis