Red Sox bringing Jose De La Torre to West Coast as insurance
|07.04.13 at 6:08 pm ET|
The Red Sox are bringing relief pitcher Jose De La Torre to Anaheim with them as insurance in case a player (such as shortstop Stephen Drew) needs to be placed on the 15-day disabled list (retroactively).
De La Torre was in the Red Sox clubhouse following the team’s 8-2 win over the Padres, joining the club before they boarded their bus for Logan Airport. Also making the West Coast trip is Jonathan Diaz, who is a candidate to be demoted if Drew isn’t put on the disabled list, with the Sox having been working with just six relievers.
Drew tested his injured right hamstring prior to Thursday’s game and was still unsure if he would be ready for action against the Angels.
De La Torre hasn’t surrendered a run over his last six outings, with hitters totaling a .148 batting average against the righty with Triple-A Pawtucket. He has struck out 45 and walked 19 over 38 1/3 innings. With the Red Sox, the 27-year-old pitched in three games, allowing three runs on four hits over 5 1/3 innings.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red Sox Will Not Fill GM Position After Mike Hazen's Hiring by...
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Recovery from Knee...
- Complete Offseason Guide, Predictions for the Boston Red Sox
- John Farrell to Return as Red Sox Manager: Latest Contract Details,...
- Red Sox's Disappointing ALDS Sweep Ends Iconic David Ortiz Era on Down...
- Ramirez, Ortiz, Betts Each Record 30+ Home Runs, 100+ RBI
- Indians vs. Red Sox ALDS Game 3: Live Score and Highlights
- FallWinter League Roundup: Dominican League begins, Haley solid
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada shines in AFL
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Mauricio Dubon
- Podcast Ep. #107: Instructs 2016
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Three
- Weekly Notes: Scouting Instructs, Moncada reassigned to the minors
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins