Red Sox bringing Jose De La Torre to West Coast as insurance
|07.04.13 at 6:08 pm ET|
The Red Sox are bringing relief pitcher Jose De La Torre to Anaheim with them as insurance in case a player (such as shortstop Stephen Drew) needs to be placed on the 15-day disabled list (retroactively).
De La Torre was in the Red Sox clubhouse following the team’s 8-2 win over the Padres, joining the club before they boarded their bus for Logan Airport. Also making the West Coast trip is Jonathan Diaz, who is a candidate to be demoted if Drew isn’t put on the disabled list, with the Sox having been working with just six relievers.
Drew tested his injured right hamstring prior to Thursday’s game and was still unsure if he would be ready for action against the Angels.
De La Torre hasn’t surrendered a run over his last six outings, with hitters totaling a .148 batting average against the righty with Triple-A Pawtucket. He has struck out 45 and walked 19 over 38 1/3 innings. With the Red Sox, the 27-year-old pitched in three games, allowing three runs on four hits over 5 1/3 innings.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Christian Vazquez
- SoxProspects.com Podcast #67: Reserved at the Reserve List Deadline
- Swihart, Rodriguez, Coyle and Shaw added to 40-man roster
- Red Sox to decide who to protect from Rule 5 Draft on Thursday
- Kukuk arrested, charged with aggravated robbery
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Allen Webster
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Brandon Workman
- Alex Hassan claimed off waivers by Oakland
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: AFL winds down, Vazquez makes debut
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Jackie Bradley, Jr.