Red Sox bringing Jose De La Torre to West Coast as insurance
|07.04.13 at 6:08 pm ET|
The Red Sox are bringing relief pitcher Jose De La Torre to Anaheim with them as insurance in case a player (such as shortstop Stephen Drew) needs to be placed on the 15-day disabled list (retroactively).
De La Torre was in the Red Sox clubhouse following the team’s 8-2 win over the Padres, joining the club before they boarded their bus for Logan Airport. Also making the West Coast trip is Jonathan Diaz, who is a candidate to be demoted if Drew isn’t put on the disabled list, with the Sox having been working with just six relievers.
Drew tested his injured right hamstring prior to Thursday’s game and was still unsure if he would be ready for action against the Angels.
De La Torre hasn’t surrendered a run over his last six outings, with hitters totaling a .148 batting average against the righty with Triple-A Pawtucket. He has struck out 45 and walked 19 over 38 1/3 innings. With the Red Sox, the 27-year-old pitched in three games, allowing three runs on four hits over 5 1/3 innings.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Updates on Red Sox Outfielder Chris Young Injury's
- Moncada Has a 'Following Everywhere We Go'
- AL ERA Leader Steven Wright Filling Red Sox's Need for Co-Ace
- Rusney Castillo Clears Waivers, Sent to Triple-A: Comments, Reaction
- Ted Williams 'Would Have Loved' Ortiz Hitting HR No. 521
- Prospect Profile for Red Sox's 1st-Round Pick Jason Groome
- Can Red Sox Make Real Run at 1,000 Runs in 2016?
- 2016 Annual Drive - Help Keep SoxProspects Free!
- Moncada and Benintendi named to Futures Game
- Cup of Coffee: Wilkerson strikes out eight to make his case
- Podcast Ep. #100: Your regularly scheduled June programming
- Red Sox promote Miller, option Cuevas
- Weekly Notes: Promotions continue and scouting notes
- Cup of Coffee: Ball great again, Benintendi stays hot
- Cup of Coffee: Espinoza, O'Sullivan impress on the mound
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Sam Travis
- Cup of Coffee: GCL opens season, Washington, Moncada mash