Red Sox bringing Jose De La Torre to West Coast as insurance
|07.04.13 at 6:08 pm ET|
The Red Sox are bringing relief pitcher Jose De La Torre to Anaheim with them as insurance in case a player (such as shortstop Stephen Drew) needs to be placed on the 15-day disabled list (retroactively).
De La Torre was in the Red Sox clubhouse following the team’s 8-2 win over the Padres, joining the club before they boarded their bus for Logan Airport. Also making the West Coast trip is Jonathan Diaz, who is a candidate to be demoted if Drew isn’t put on the disabled list, with the Sox having been working with just six relievers.
Drew tested his injured right hamstring prior to Thursday’s game and was still unsure if he would be ready for action against the Angels.
De La Torre hasn’t surrendered a run over his last six outings, with hitters totaling a .148 batting average against the righty with Triple-A Pawtucket. He has struck out 45 and walked 19 over 38 1/3 innings. With the Red Sox, the 27-year-old pitched in three games, allowing three runs on four hits over 5 1/3 innings.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- MLB Reportedly 'Looking Into' Ortiz's Comments for Tampering
- Red Sox Pay Heavy, but Necessary Price to Go for It with Pomeranz
- Moncada Primed to Make Phenom-Loaded Red Sox Even Richer
- Craig Kimbrel Injury Updates on Recovery from Knee Surgery
- Latest on Brad Ziegler to Red Sox
- Brewers Trade INF Aaron Hill to Red Sox
- Bradley, Betts, and Bogaerts Give MLB a New-Age 'Killer B's'
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi debuts in left, Basabe stays hot
- Cup of Coffee: Boyd spins gem, Hill stays hot
- Cup of Coffee: Mendoza leads DSL 1 in lone affiliate victory
- Scouting Scratch: Tate Matheny and Kyri Washington
- Cup of Coffee: Kent dominates, Devers scores game-winner
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada homers twice, Kopech strikes out nine
- Podcast Ep. #102: Groome signs, Dave deals, podcast delivered
- Weekly Notes: Groome signs, Espinoza traded, Marrero is All-Star MVP
- Cup of Coffee: Salem walks off, Hill rakes in Lowell loss
- Cup of Coffee: Basabe reaches base four times for Greenville