Red Sox bringing Jose De La Torre to West Coast as insurance
|07.04.13 at 6:08 pm ET|
The Red Sox are bringing relief pitcher Jose De La Torre to Anaheim with them as insurance in case a player (such as shortstop Stephen Drew) needs to be placed on the 15-day disabled list (retroactively).
De La Torre was in the Red Sox clubhouse following the team’s 8-2 win over the Padres, joining the club before they boarded their bus for Logan Airport. Also making the West Coast trip is Jonathan Diaz, who is a candidate to be demoted if Drew isn’t put on the disabled list, with the Sox having been working with just six relievers.
Drew tested his injured right hamstring prior to Thursday’s game and was still unsure if he would be ready for action against the Angels.
De La Torre hasn’t surrendered a run over his last six outings, with hitters totaling a .148 batting average against the righty with Triple-A Pawtucket. He has struck out 45 and walked 19 over 38 1/3 innings. With the Red Sox, the 27-year-old pitched in three games, allowing three runs on four hits over 5 1/3 innings.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Betts Has Real Chance of Crashing AL MVP Party
- MLB Betting Preview: Red Sox vs. Orioles Odds, Analysis
- David Ortiz Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Foot
- Can Benintendi Be Pennant Race Difference-Maker?
- Updates on Red Sox Star Hanley Ramirez's Injury
- Andrew Benintendi Recalled from Double-a
- Fernando Abad to Red Sox
- Cup of Coffee: Dubon comes up clutch, Dalbec stays hot for Lowell
- Scouting Scratch: Mike Shawaryn and Shaun Anderson
- Cup of Coffee: LaMarre powers Pawtucket, Kopech whiffs 10
- After draft slide, Shawaryn regaining peak form in Lowell
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada shows off power and defense as he eyes the big leagues
- 2014 First-rounder Michael Chavis promoted to High A Salem
- Cup of Coffee: Jason Groome era begins with two scoreless innings
- Weekly Notes: Groome debuts, Kopech and Dalbec stay hot
- Cup of Coffee: Salem wins 10th straight, Hill, Tubbs carry Lowell
- Podcast Ep. #104: BeninBoston