Will Middlebrooks turns in huge game for PawSox, Xander Bogaerts plays third base
|07.04.13 at 12:27 am ET|
Third baseman Will Middlebrooks, in his seventh game with Triple-A Pawtucket since getting optioned back to the minors, had a huge game, going 4-for-5 and slamming a pair of homers — a three-run homer down the left field line and a grand slam to right-center — while matching a PawSox franchise record with eight runs batted in as part of Pawtucket’s 11-5 win over Scranton/Wilkes-Barre, the Triple-A affiliate of the Yankees. Middlebrooks also lined out to third, doubled to center and singled to left in his outstanding performance.
In seven games since being sent down, Middlebrooks is hitting .333 with a .375 OBP, .767 slugging mark, four homers, 13 RBI, two walks and five strikeouts in 32 plate appearances.
Middlebrooks’ impressive performance was not the only noteworthy event in Pawtucket’s game. Top Red Sox prospect Xander Bogaerts, for the first time in his minor league career, played a position other than shortstop, playing the game at third base (with Middlebrooks serving as DH). Bogaerts caught a pop-up but was otherwise untested in his maiden minor league game at the position. He did play seven games at third in the World Baseball Classic this spring for Team Netherlands.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Cup of Coffee: Gonzalez leads combined no-hitter in DSL Playoff opener
- Cup of Coffee: Asuaje leads Salem to doubleheader split
- Players of the Week, 8/18-24: Brian Johnson & Mike Miller
- Cup of Coffee: Speier helps GCL Sox clinch division title
- Marrero and Coyle headed to Arizona Fall League
- Cup of Coffee: Chavis rips first career home run in GCL Sox win
- Weekly Notes: Battle for CF heats up with new addition
- Cup of Coffee: Asuaje leads the way, Wilkerson keeps rolling
- Cup of Coffee: Johnson dominates NH, Coyle hits 14th
- Cup of Coffee: Keith Couch strong for Portland; Salem walk off