Will Middlebrooks turns in huge game for PawSox, Xander Bogaerts plays third base
|07.04.13 at 12:27 am ET|
Third baseman Will Middlebrooks, in his seventh game with Triple-A Pawtucket since getting optioned back to the minors, had a huge game, going 4-for-5 and slamming a pair of homers — a three-run homer down the left field line and a grand slam to right-center — while matching a PawSox franchise record with eight runs batted in as part of Pawtucket’s 11-5 win over Scranton/Wilkes-Barre, the Triple-A affiliate of the Yankees. Middlebrooks also lined out to third, doubled to center and singled to left in his outstanding performance.
In seven games since being sent down, Middlebrooks is hitting .333 with a .375 OBP, .767 slugging mark, four homers, 13 RBI, two walks and five strikeouts in 32 plate appearances.
Middlebrooks’ impressive performance was not the only noteworthy event in Pawtucket’s game. Top Red Sox prospect Xander Bogaerts, for the first time in his minor league career, played a position other than shortstop, playing the game at third base (with Middlebrooks serving as DH). Bogaerts caught a pop-up but was otherwise untested in his maiden minor league game at the position. He did play seven games at third in the World Baseball Classic this spring for Team Netherlands.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Boston Red Sox: Final Predictions for Each Key Spring Position Battle
- Boston Red Sox: The 5 Most Disappointing Players in Spring Training So...
- David Price Likely to Start Season on DL as He Recovers from Arm Injury
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Players Who Are in Serious Danger of Being Cut or...
- David Price Reportedly Won't Need Elbow Surgery, Will Be Out 7-10 Days
- David Price's Elbow Could Make or Break Red Sox's World Series Dreams
- David Price Underwent MRI on Elbow Injury, Scratched from Spring Training...
- Podcast Ep. #114: Straight Outta A-Ball
- Fort Report: New scouting reports, Meyers motivational WBC experience
- Ockimey making adjustments after second-half swoon
- Notes from the Field: Mata, Anderson, Dalbec, Hill and more from Day Three
- Meyers' big WBC moment now his motivation in camp
- Fort Report: Staff spends the weekend at camp
- Notes from the Field: Devers, Tobias, Garcia and more from Days One and Two
- Fort Report: Owens, Johnson highlight first round of cuts
- Podcast Ep. #113: It's Hard to Develop Baseball Players
- Podcast Ep. #112: If He Dies, He Dies