Will Middlebrooks turns in huge game for PawSox, Xander Bogaerts plays third base
|07.04.13 at 12:27 am ET|
Third baseman Will Middlebrooks, in his seventh game with Triple-A Pawtucket since getting optioned back to the minors, had a huge game, going 4-for-5 and slamming a pair of homers — a three-run homer down the left field line and a grand slam to right-center — while matching a PawSox franchise record with eight runs batted in as part of Pawtucket’s 11-5 win over Scranton/Wilkes-Barre, the Triple-A affiliate of the Yankees. Middlebrooks also lined out to third, doubled to center and singled to left in his outstanding performance.
In seven games since being sent down, Middlebrooks is hitting .333 with a .375 OBP, .767 slugging mark, four homers, 13 RBI, two walks and five strikeouts in 32 plate appearances.
Middlebrooks’ impressive performance was not the only noteworthy event in Pawtucket’s game. Top Red Sox prospect Xander Bogaerts, for the first time in his minor league career, played a position other than shortstop, playing the game at third base (with Middlebrooks serving as DH). Bogaerts caught a pop-up but was otherwise untested in his maiden minor league game at the position. He did play seven games at third in the World Baseball Classic this spring for Team Netherlands.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi walk-off bomb keeps Drive in hunt
- Updated: Espinoza to Greenville, Allen to Lowell highlight GCL promotions
- Scouting Scratch: Javier Guerra, Michael Chavis, Nick Longhi
- Cup of Coffee: GCL Red Sox capture second straight league title
- Notes from the Field: Spruill, Marrero, Hernandez in Allentown
- Cup of Coffee: Reign delay for the GCL Red Sox
- Sam Travis highlights six announced for Arizona Fall League
- Moncada's big year nets him multiple South Atlantic League honors
- Cup of Coffee: Perez leads GCL Sox to walk-off win in finals opener
- Weekly Notes: Greenville makes playoff push, GCL Sox reach finals