Will Middlebrooks turns in huge game for PawSox, Xander Bogaerts plays third base
|07.04.13 at 12:27 am ET|
Third baseman Will Middlebrooks, in his seventh game with Triple-A Pawtucket since getting optioned back to the minors, had a huge game, going 4-for-5 and slamming a pair of homers — a three-run homer down the left field line and a grand slam to right-center — while matching a PawSox franchise record with eight runs batted in as part of Pawtucket’s 11-5 win over Scranton/Wilkes-Barre, the Triple-A affiliate of the Yankees. Middlebrooks also lined out to third, doubled to center and singled to left in his outstanding performance.
In seven games since being sent down, Middlebrooks is hitting .333 with a .375 OBP, .767 slugging mark, four homers, 13 RBI, two walks and five strikeouts in 32 plate appearances.
Middlebrooks’ impressive performance was not the only noteworthy event in Pawtucket’s game. Top Red Sox prospect Xander Bogaerts, for the first time in his minor league career, played a position other than shortstop, playing the game at third base (with Middlebrooks serving as DH). Bogaerts caught a pop-up but was otherwise untested in his maiden minor league game at the position. He did play seven games at third in the World Baseball Classic this spring for Team Netherlands.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Help Wanted: Database Coordinator
- January Notes: Red Sox extend contract with Greenville
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Champions crowned as play concludes
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Championship series underway
- 2015 Graduates in Review: Blake Swihart
- Help Wanted: Writers, Editors
- Red Sox bring back Dan Butler on minor league deal
- 2015 Graduates in Review: Eduardo Rodriguez
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Ramos and Castillo combine for 16 hits
- 2015 Graduates in Review: Henry Owens