Stephen Drew heads to disabled list; Jose De La Torre activated
|07.05.13 at 7:28 pm ET|
The Red Sox have placed shortstop Stephen Drew on the 15-day disabled list (retroactive to June 29) due a strained right hamstring. Relief pitcher Jose De La Torre has been activated. John Farrell announced the move to reporters prior to the Red Sox series-opening game against the Angels Friday night.
Drew told WEEI.com he was still unsure if he would be available upon leaving for the West Coast, having tested his injured hamstring with another series of running exercises Thursday. He has been able to take batting practice.
The shortstop injured the right hamstring — which is on the opposite leg from the muscle he tore in 2009 — while legging out a double during the fifth inning of the Red Sox’ June 28 win over Toronto. He had been coming around at the plate, hitting .324 with a .954 OPS over his last 10 games. For the season, Drew is hitting .233 with a .722 OPS.
De La Torre was originally brought to Anaheim with the Red Sox as a precautionary measure, ready for activation if Drew wasn’t able to play. There was also the possibility the pitcher would be activated regardless of Drew’s situation, with Jonathan Diaz a candidate to be sent down in order to give the Sox’ seven pitchers in their bullpen.
De La Torre hasn’t surrendered a run over his last six outings, with hitters totaling a .148 batting average against the righty with Triple-A Pawtucket. He has struck out 45 and walked 19 over 38 1/3 innings. With the Red Sox, the 27-year-old pitched in three games, allowing three runs on four hits over 5 1/3 innings.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Boston Red Sox: Final Predictions for Each Key Spring Position Battle
- Boston Red Sox: The 5 Most Disappointing Players in Spring Training So...
- David Price Likely to Start Season on DL as He Recovers from Arm Injury
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Players Who Are in Serious Danger of Being Cut or...
- David Price Reportedly Won't Need Elbow Surgery, Will Be Out 7-10 Days
- David Price's Elbow Could Make or Break Red Sox's World Series Dreams
- David Price Underwent MRI on Elbow Injury, Scratched from Spring Training...
- Chatham using size to his advantage at shortstop
- Fort Report: Another round of cuts as Opening Day nears
- Podcast Ep. #114: Straight Outta A-Ball
- Fort Report: New scouting reports, Meyers motivational WBC experience
- Ockimey making adjustments after second-half swoon
- Notes from the Field: Mata, Anderson, Dalbec, Hill and more from Day Three
- Meyers' big WBC moment now his motivation in camp
- Fort Report: Staff spends the weekend at camp
- Notes from the Field: Devers, Tobias, Garcia and more from Days One and Two
- Fort Report: Owens, Johnson highlight first round of cuts