Stephen Drew heads to disabled list; Jose De La Torre activated
|07.05.13 at 7:28 pm ET|
The Red Sox have placed shortstop Stephen Drew on the 15-day disabled list (retroactive to June 29) due a strained right hamstring. Relief pitcher Jose De La Torre has been activated. John Farrell announced the move to reporters prior to the Red Sox series-opening game against the Angels Friday night.
Drew told WEEI.com he was still unsure if he would be available upon leaving for the West Coast, having tested his injured hamstring with another series of running exercises Thursday. He has been able to take batting practice.
The shortstop injured the right hamstring — which is on the opposite leg from the muscle he tore in 2009 — while legging out a double during the fifth inning of the Red Sox’ June 28 win over Toronto. He had been coming around at the plate, hitting .324 with a .954 OPS over his last 10 games. For the season, Drew is hitting .233 with a .722 OPS.
De La Torre was originally brought to Anaheim with the Red Sox as a precautionary measure, ready for activation if Drew wasn’t able to play. There was also the possibility the pitcher would be activated regardless of Drew’s situation, with Jonathan Diaz a candidate to be sent down in order to give the Sox’ seven pitchers in their bullpen.
De La Torre hasn’t surrendered a run over his last six outings, with hitters totaling a .148 batting average against the righty with Triple-A Pawtucket. He has struck out 45 and walked 19 over 38 1/3 innings. With the Red Sox, the 27-year-old pitched in three games, allowing three runs on four hits over 5 1/3 innings.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Podcast Ep. 84: Mailbag extravaganza!
- Cup of Coffee: Drive step closer to playoffs behind Drehoff, Moncada
- Cup of Coffee: Season comes to an end for DSL Red Sox
- Cup of Coffee: DSL Sox drop playoff opener; Espinoza dominates
- Weekly Notes: Greenville lineup turning heads
- Cup of Coffee: McGrath lights-out, Sea Dogs' bats back Wilkerson
- Cup of Coffee: Perez helps GCL Red Sox clinch division
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi remains hot, Hernandez impressive for DSL Sox
- Podcast Ep. 83: Interview Special with Michael Chavis and Nick Longhi
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada steals 40th, GCL Sox on brink of division