David Ortiz, Dustin Pedroia, Clay Buchholz to represent Red Sox at All-Star Game; Koji Uehara up for final spot
|07.06.13 at 6:47 pm ET|
Despite owning the best record in the American League, the Red Sox have currently managed just three players on the AL All-Star team. Designated hitter David Ortiz was voted as an American League starter, while second baseman Dustin Pedroia was also added to the team. Clay Buchholz was named to the team despite being on the 15-day disabled list.
It will be Pedroia’s fourth All-Star appearance, with Ortiz be making the team for a ninth time. It is Buchholz’ second All-Star honor, with the starter last making the team in 2010.
The Red Sox could get one more participant on the AL roster, with pitcher Koji Uehara part of the ‘Final Vote’ that adds one final player to each side. Going up against Uehara for the final spot on the AL squad are Joaquin Benoit, Steve Delabar, David Robertson and Tanner Scheppers.
Ortiz has far and away the best production of any designated hitter, carrying a .996 OPS to go along with 15 home runs and a .319 batting average. Pedroia carries the third-best OPS (.849) among American League second basemen, but leading the group in batting average (.323), on-base percentage (.404) and runs (109), having missed just one game.
Buchholz, who hasn’t pitched since June 8 due to a trap muscle injury, is 9-0 with a 1.71 ERA in 12 starts.
Joe Mauer (C), Chris Davis (1B), Robinson Cano (2B), J.J. Hardy (SS), Miguel Cabrera (3B), Adam Jones (OF), Mike Trout (OF), Jose Bautista (OF) and Ortiz will be the American League starters. The AL reserves are Prince Fielder (1B), Torii Hunter (OF), Jhonny Peralta (SS), Nelson Cruz (OF), Ben Zobrist (UTL), Jason Castro (C), Edwin Encarnacion (1B), Alex Gordon (OF), Jason Kipnis (2B), Manny Machado (3B), Salvador Perez (C) and Pedroia.
Pitching for the American League will be Max Scherzer, Felix Hernandez, Brett Cecil, Justin Verlander, Justin Masterson, Chris Sale, Mariano Rivera, Bartolo Colon, Yu Darvish, Hisashi Iwakuma, Jesse Crain, Joe Nathan, Glen Perkins and Buchholz.
Starting for the National League will be: Yadier Molina (C), Joey Votto (1B), Brandon Phillips (2B), Troy Tulowitzki (SS), David Wright (3B), Carlos Beltran (OF), Carlos Gonzalez (OF), Bryce Harper (OF). Serving as reserves for the NL are Andrew McCutchen (OF), Michael Cuddyer (OF), Buster Posey (C), Pedro Alvarez (3B), Domonic Brown (OF), Everth Cabrera (SS), Matt Carpenter (2B), Allen Craig (1B), Paul Goldschmidt (1B), Carlos Gomez (OF), Jean Segura (SS) and former Red Sox Marco Scutaro (2B).
The pitchers for the National League are: Clayton Kershaw, Patrick Corban, Matt Harvey, Adam Wainwright, Jason Grilli, Jordan Zimmerman, Craig Kimbrel, Aroldis Chapman, Travis Wood, Jose Fernandez, Cliff Lee, New Hampshire native Jeff Locke and Madison Bumgarner.
The All-Star Game will be held Tuesday night, July 16, at Citi Field in New York.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- MLB Reportedly 'Looking Into' Ortiz's Comments for Tampering
- Red Sox Pay Heavy, but Necessary Price to Go for It with Pomeranz
- Moncada Primed to Make Phenom-Loaded Red Sox Even Richer
- Craig Kimbrel Injury Updates on Recovery from Knee Surgery
- Latest on Brad Ziegler to Red Sox
- Brewers Trade INF Aaron Hill to Red Sox
- Bradley, Betts, and Bogaerts Give MLB a New-Age 'Killer B's'
- Scouting Scratch: Luis Alexander Basabe and Michael Chavis
- Cup of Coffee: Procyshen homers, Benintendi triples in victories
- Podcast Ep. #103: Yes Devers loves me, the homers tell me so
- Weekly notes: Benintendi moves to left field
- Cup of Coffee: Dubon collects four hits, Kemp blasts two homers
- Cup of Coffee: Marrero and Devers homer, Dalbec debuts
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi debuts in left, Basabe stays hot
- Cup of Coffee: Boyd spins gem, Hill stays hot
- Cup of Coffee: Mendoza leads DSL 1 in lone affiliate victory
- Scouting Scratch: Tate Matheny and Kyri Washington