David Ortiz, Dustin Pedroia, Clay Buchholz to represent Red Sox at All-Star Game; Koji Uehara up for final spot
|07.06.13 at 6:47 pm ET|
Despite owning the best record in the American League, the Red Sox have currently managed just three players on the AL All-Star team. Designated hitter David Ortiz was voted as an American League starter, while second baseman Dustin Pedroia was also added to the team. Clay Buchholz was named to the team despite being on the 15-day disabled list.
It will be Pedroia’s fourth All-Star appearance, with Ortiz be making the team for a ninth time. It is Buchholz’ second All-Star honor, with the starter last making the team in 2010.
The Red Sox could get one more participant on the AL roster, with pitcher Koji Uehara part of the ‘Final Vote’ that adds one final player to each side. Going up against Uehara for the final spot on the AL squad are Joaquin Benoit, Steve Delabar, David Robertson and Tanner Scheppers.
Ortiz has far and away the best production of any designated hitter, carrying a .996 OPS to go along with 15 home runs and a .319 batting average. Pedroia carries the third-best OPS (.849) among American League second basemen, but leading the group in batting average (.323), on-base percentage (.404) and runs (109), having missed just one game.
Buchholz, who hasn’t pitched since June 8 due to a trap muscle injury, is 9-0 with a 1.71 ERA in 12 starts.
Joe Mauer (C), Chris Davis (1B), Robinson Cano (2B), J.J. Hardy (SS), Miguel Cabrera (3B), Adam Jones (OF), Mike Trout (OF), Jose Bautista (OF) and Ortiz will be the American League starters. The AL reserves are Prince Fielder (1B), Torii Hunter (OF), Jhonny Peralta (SS), Nelson Cruz (OF), Ben Zobrist (UTL), Jason Castro (C), Edwin Encarnacion (1B), Alex Gordon (OF), Jason Kipnis (2B), Manny Machado (3B), Salvador Perez (C) and Pedroia.
Pitching for the American League will be Max Scherzer, Felix Hernandez, Brett Cecil, Justin Verlander, Justin Masterson, Chris Sale, Mariano Rivera, Bartolo Colon, Yu Darvish, Hisashi Iwakuma, Jesse Crain, Joe Nathan, Glen Perkins and Buchholz.
Starting for the National League will be: Yadier Molina (C), Joey Votto (1B), Brandon Phillips (2B), Troy Tulowitzki (SS), David Wright (3B), Carlos Beltran (OF), Carlos Gonzalez (OF), Bryce Harper (OF). Serving as reserves for the NL are Andrew McCutchen (OF), Michael Cuddyer (OF), Buster Posey (C), Pedro Alvarez (3B), Domonic Brown (OF), Everth Cabrera (SS), Matt Carpenter (2B), Allen Craig (1B), Paul Goldschmidt (1B), Carlos Gomez (OF), Jean Segura (SS) and former Red Sox Marco Scutaro (2B).
The pitchers for the National League are: Clayton Kershaw, Patrick Corban, Matt Harvey, Adam Wainwright, Jason Grilli, Jordan Zimmerman, Craig Kimbrel, Aroldis Chapman, Travis Wood, Jose Fernandez, Cliff Lee, New Hampshire native Jeff Locke and Madison Bumgarner.
The All-Star Game will be held Tuesday night, July 16, at Citi Field in New York.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red Sox Will Not Fill GM Position After Mike Hazen's Hiring by...
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Recovery from Knee...
- Complete Offseason Guide, Predictions for the Boston Red Sox
- John Farrell to Return as Red Sox Manager: Latest Contract Details,...
- Red Sox's Disappointing ALDS Sweep Ends Iconic David Ortiz Era on Down...
- Ramirez, Ortiz, Betts Each Record 30+ Home Runs, 100+ RBI
- Indians vs. Red Sox ALDS Game 3: Live Score and Highlights
- FallWinter League Roundup: Dominican League begins, Haley solid
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada shines in AFL
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Mauricio Dubon
- Podcast Ep. #107: Instructs 2016
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Three
- Weekly Notes: Scouting Instructs, Moncada reassigned to the minors
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins