Red Sox lineup: Call-up Brock Holt starts at third base
|07.06.13 at 7:11 pm ET|
With the Red Sox facing right-hander Jerome Williams of the Angels, the team has called up utility man Brock Holt, who will get his first big league start with the Red Sox as a third baseman, batting eighth. Righties are hitting .246 with a .294 OBP and .383 slugging mark against Williams; lefties, meanwhile, are hitting .250/.322/.438, helping to explain the call-up of Holt, who will start over Brandon Snyder.
Holt is hitting .262 with a .333 OBP and .295 slugging mark this year in Pawtucket. However, most of his damage has come against righties, against whom he’s hitting .293/.347/.340 in 167 plate appearances, compared to a .183/.300/.183 line against righties. To clear a spot for Holt, the Sox optioned Jonathan Diaz to Triple-A Pawtucket.
While Williams’ splits might suggest a start for Mike Carp over Mike Napoli, Napoli is 6-for-14 with four extra-base hits (including two homers) in 16 plate appearances against Williams, good for a .429/.500/1.071 line. For batter vs. starting pitcher histories for the Sox against Williams and the Angels against Ryan Dempster, click here. For comprehensive team coverage, visit weei.com/redsox.
RED SOX LINEUP
Ryan Dempster, SP
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez meet in PR finals
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Leon debuts, Elias strikes out seven
- SoxProspects.com's Top Posts of 2016
- December Notes: Sox deal key prospects for Sale, Thornburg
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Rodriguez tweaks knee, Castillo rakes
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Ramirez debuts, Vazquez homers
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Abad debuts, Hernandez goes deep again
- Scouting Updates: Mata leads group of DSL player page updates
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Eduardo Rodriguez debuts in Venezuela
- Trade Analysis: Scouting the prospects dealt for Tyler Thornburg