Saturday’s Red Sox-Angels matchups: Ryan Dempster vs. Jerome Williams
|07.06.13 at 9:16 am ET|
The Los Angeles designated hitter has gotten the best of his former NL Central foe, collecting 13 extra-base hits and 18 RBIs while walking (13) far more frequently than he has struck out (two) in 60 at-bats.
The right-handed Dempster (5-8, 4.11 ERA), however, has had much momentum of late. He had thrown six consecutive quality starts before his last outing, when he gave up two earned runs in 5 1/3 frames, scattering seven hits (all singles) and three walks while striking out a pair in a 5-4 victory over the Blue Jays (he was in line for the win until the Jays tied it in the ninth). It was also the first time since May 23 he didn’t give up a home run.
John Farrell commended Dempster’s outing on what was a blazing Sunday afternoon.
‘On a day like today, it was smoking hot out there, and Dempster gave us everything he had,’ Farrell said. ‘I thought Ryan did a very good job of minimizing the damage and keeping it only to two outs.’
Overall, Dempster has been exactly what the Red Sox signed him to be: an innings-eater. He is at 100 2/3 innings at just past the halfway point of the season, while posting a 1.38 WHIP and holding opposing batters to a .240 average.
As much of a given as Dempster seems to be, Angels right-hander Jerome Williams (5-4) is more of a question mark, having bounced between the rotation and bullpen throughout 2013. He has totaled a 3.89 ERA and 1.26 WHIP in 21 games, 10 of them starts.
On Wednesday, Williams was rocked by the Cardinals, giving up seven earned runs on four hits and four walks in 1 2/3 innings. He threw only 55 pitches, however, so with righty Tommy Hanson on the DL with right forearm tightness, Mike Scioscia will turn to the 31-year-old journeyman.
Williams threw three innings against the Sox on June 8 in the second half of a doubleheader. He gave up three runs on five hits, including a David Ortiz two-run home run, in the 7-2 Boston win.
Red Sox vs. Williams (RHP)
Mike Napoli (16 plate appearances): .429 BA/.500 OBP/1.071 SLG, 1 double, 1 triple, 2 home runs, 5 RBIs, 2 walks, 3 strikeouts
Mike Carp (13): .300/.462/.500, 2 doubles, 4 RBIs, 2 walks, 1 strikeout
David Ortiz (5): .600/.600/1.800, 2 home runs, 5 RBIs
Jonny Gomes has not gotten on base in three plate appearances vs. Williams
Stephen Drew (2): .500/.500/.500
Jose Iglesias has two singles in two plate appearances vs. Williams
Dustin Pedroia (2): .500/.500/.500, 1 RBI
Shane Victorino (2): .000/.000/.000, 1 strikeout
Daniel Nava stuck out in his only plate appearance vs. Williams
Brandon Snyder made on out in his only plate appearance vs. Williams
Angels vs. Dempster (RHP)
Albert Pujols (76 plate appearances): .350/.461/.833, 5 doubles, 8 home runs, 17 RBIs, 13 walks, 2 strikeouts
Chris Iannetta (16): .154/.313/.385, 1 home run, 4 RBIs, 3 walks, 4 strikeouts
Mike Trout (12): .400/.500/1.100, 2 doubles, 1 triple, 1 home run, 1 RBI, 2 walks, 2 strikeouts
Alberto Callaspo (11): .250/.455/.625, 1 home run, 1 RBI, 3 walks, 3 strikeouts
Howie Kendrick (11): .222/.364/.222, 2 walks, 1 strikeout
Mark Trumbo (11): .500/.545/1.000, 2 doubles, 1 home run, 4 RBIs, 1 walk, 1 strikeout
Erick Aybar (8): .250/.250/.250, 2 strikeouts
Brad Hawpe (7): .400/.571/.400, 1 RBI, 2 walks, 3 strikeouts
Josh Hamilton (5): .200/.200/.200, 2 strikeouts
J.B .Shuck (5): .400/.400/.800, 2 doubles
Hank Conger, Collin Cowgill and Brendan Harris have never faced Dempster.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Recovery from Knee...
- Complete Offseason Guide, Predictions for the Boston Red Sox
- John Farrell to Return as Red Sox Manager: Latest Contract Details,...
- Red Sox's Disappointing ALDS Sweep Ends Iconic David Ortiz Era on Down...
- Ramirez, Ortiz, Betts Each Record 30+ Home Runs, 100+ RBI
- Indians vs. Red Sox ALDS Game 3: Live Score and Highlights
- David Price Allowed 5 ER in 3.1 IP and Is Now 0-8 in Career Postseason...
- FallWinter League Roundup: Dominican League begins, Haley solid
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada shines in AFL
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Mauricio Dubon
- Podcast Ep. #107: Instructs 2016
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Three
- Weekly Notes: Scouting Instructs, Moncada reassigned to the minors
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins