Red Sox place Andrew Miller on DL, recall Alfredo Aceves
|07.07.13 at 5:15 pm ET|
One day after he left Saturday’s game with a left foot injury, left-hander Andrew Miller was placed on the 15-day DL, the team announced. While Miller told reporters in Anaheim that initial X-rays did not reveal a fracture after he landed awkwardly while jumping out of the way of a comebacker in the seventh inning, he also said that he did not feel better, and he was wearing a walking boot in the Red Sox clubhouse. The team planned to fly Miller back to Boston for further tests.
With Miller down, the Red Sox have recalled right-hander Alfredo Aceves from Triple-A Pawtucket. Aceves has been working as a starter for the Red Sox and Triple-A Pawtucket since a one-inning relief appearance on May 24, forging a 3.80 ERA in seven starts since May 27 (though he’s gotten hit hard in his last two starts, allowing 10 runs in 10 innings with the PawSox). But, with Miller down and the Red Sox amidst a search for stability in their relief corps, the 30-year-old might have an opportunity to assert himself for a meaningful bullpen role.
Aceves is 4-1 with a 5.05 ERA, 6.1 strikeouts per nine innings and 5.6 walks per nine innings in 35 2/3 frames in the big leagues this year. Miller owned a 2.64 ERA with 14.1 strikeouts and 5.0 walks per nine innings in 37 games (30 2/3 innings). With his absence, the Sox have just one left-hander on the roster (Craig Breslow).
Latest from Bleacher Report
- MLB Reportedly 'Looking Into' Ortiz's Comments for Tampering
- Red Sox Pay Heavy, but Necessary Price to Go for It with Pomeranz
- Moncada Primed to Make Phenom-Loaded Red Sox Even Richer
- Craig Kimbrel Injury Updates on Recovery from Knee Surgery
- Latest on Brad Ziegler to Red Sox
- Brewers Trade INF Aaron Hill to Red Sox
- Bradley, Betts, and Bogaerts Give MLB a New-Age 'Killer B's'
- Scouting Scratch: Henry Owens
- Cup of Coffee: Chris Marrero, pitching help PawSox clip Red Wings
- Cup of Coffee: Sermo homers three times; Basabe keeps streaking
- Scouting Scratch: Luis Alexander Basabe and Michael Chavis
- Cup of Coffee: Procyshen homers, Benintendi triples in victories
- Podcast Ep. #103: Yes Devers loves me, the homers tell me so
- Weekly notes: Benintendi moves to left field
- Cup of Coffee: Dubon collects four hits, Kemp blasts two homers
- Cup of Coffee: Marrero and Devers homer, Dalbec debuts
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi debuts in left, Basabe stays hot