Red Sox place Andrew Miller on DL, recall Alfredo Aceves
|07.07.13 at 5:15 pm ET|
One day after he left Saturday’s game with a left foot injury, left-hander Andrew Miller was placed on the 15-day DL, the team announced. While Miller told reporters in Anaheim that initial X-rays did not reveal a fracture after he landed awkwardly while jumping out of the way of a comebacker in the seventh inning, he also said that he did not feel better, and he was wearing a walking boot in the Red Sox clubhouse. The team planned to fly Miller back to Boston for further tests.
With Miller down, the Red Sox have recalled right-hander Alfredo Aceves from Triple-A Pawtucket. Aceves has been working as a starter for the Red Sox and Triple-A Pawtucket since a one-inning relief appearance on May 24, forging a 3.80 ERA in seven starts since May 27 (though he’s gotten hit hard in his last two starts, allowing 10 runs in 10 innings with the PawSox). But, with Miller down and the Red Sox amidst a search for stability in their relief corps, the 30-year-old might have an opportunity to assert himself for a meaningful bullpen role.
Aceves is 4-1 with a 5.05 ERA, 6.1 strikeouts per nine innings and 5.6 walks per nine innings in 35 2/3 frames in the big leagues this year. Miller owned a 2.64 ERA with 14.1 strikeouts and 5.0 walks per nine innings in 37 games (30 2/3 innings). With his absence, the Sox have just one left-hander on the roster (Craig Breslow).
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Cup of Coffee: Gunkel grabs first Double-A win, Craig reaches five times
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada breaks out, PawSox lose heartbreaker
- Cup of Coffee: Johnson goes six strong, Moncada picks up first hit
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada era begins; phenom scores twice in slugfest
- Weekly Notes: Moncada set to debut, Brian Johnson keeps producing
- Cup of Coffee: Kopech and Haley solid, Tejeda swinging a hot bat
- Yoan Moncada to debut with Greenville on Monday
- Cup of Coffee: Witte nearly hits for the cycle, Devers strong for Greenville
- Cup of Coffee: Roberson hits for the cycle, Owens has impressive start
- Brian Johnson ignores the noise, dominates in Pawtucket