Red Sox place Andrew Miller on DL, recall Alfredo Aceves
|07.07.13 at 5:15 pm ET|
One day after he left Saturday’s game with a left foot injury, left-hander Andrew Miller was placed on the 15-day DL, the team announced. While Miller told reporters in Anaheim that initial X-rays did not reveal a fracture after he landed awkwardly while jumping out of the way of a comebacker in the seventh inning, he also said that he did not feel better, and he was wearing a walking boot in the Red Sox clubhouse. The team planned to fly Miller back to Boston for further tests.
With Miller down, the Red Sox have recalled right-hander Alfredo Aceves from Triple-A Pawtucket. Aceves has been working as a starter for the Red Sox and Triple-A Pawtucket since a one-inning relief appearance on May 24, forging a 3.80 ERA in seven starts since May 27 (though he’s gotten hit hard in his last two starts, allowing 10 runs in 10 innings with the PawSox). But, with Miller down and the Red Sox amidst a search for stability in their relief corps, the 30-year-old might have an opportunity to assert himself for a meaningful bullpen role.
Aceves is 4-1 with a 5.05 ERA, 6.1 strikeouts per nine innings and 5.6 walks per nine innings in 35 2/3 frames in the big leagues this year. Miller owned a 2.64 ERA with 14.1 strikeouts and 5.0 walks per nine innings in 37 games (30 2/3 innings). With his absence, the Sox have just one left-hander on the roster (Craig Breslow).
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Boston Red Sox: Final Predictions for Each Key Spring Position Battle
- Boston Red Sox: The 5 Most Disappointing Players in Spring Training So...
- David Price Likely to Start Season on DL as He Recovers from Arm Injury
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Players Who Are in Serious Danger of Being Cut or...
- David Price Reportedly Won't Need Elbow Surgery, Will Be Out 7-10 Days
- David Price's Elbow Could Make or Break Red Sox's World Series Dreams
- David Price Underwent MRI on Elbow Injury, Scratched from Spring Training...
- Fort Report: Groome impresses in spring start
- Notes from the Field: Jason Groome debuts on Day Four
- Chatham using size to his advantage at shortstop
- Fort Report: Another round of cuts as Opening Day nears
- Podcast Ep. #114: Straight Outta A-Ball
- Fort Report: New scouting reports, Meyers motivational WBC experience
- Ockimey making adjustments after second-half swoon
- Notes from the Field: Mata, Anderson, Dalbec, Hill and more from Day Three
- Meyers' big WBC moment now his motivation in camp
- Fort Report: Staff spends the weekend at camp