Red Sox place Andrew Miller on DL, recall Alfredo Aceves
|07.07.13 at 5:15 pm ET|
One day after he left Saturday’s game with a left foot injury, left-hander Andrew Miller was placed on the 15-day DL, the team announced. While Miller told reporters in Anaheim that initial X-rays did not reveal a fracture after he landed awkwardly while jumping out of the way of a comebacker in the seventh inning, he also said that he did not feel better, and he was wearing a walking boot in the Red Sox clubhouse. The team planned to fly Miller back to Boston for further tests.
With Miller down, the Red Sox have recalled right-hander Alfredo Aceves from Triple-A Pawtucket. Aceves has been working as a starter for the Red Sox and Triple-A Pawtucket since a one-inning relief appearance on May 24, forging a 3.80 ERA in seven starts since May 27 (though he’s gotten hit hard in his last two starts, allowing 10 runs in 10 innings with the PawSox). But, with Miller down and the Red Sox amidst a search for stability in their relief corps, the 30-year-old might have an opportunity to assert himself for a meaningful bullpen role.
Aceves is 4-1 with a 5.05 ERA, 6.1 strikeouts per nine innings and 5.6 walks per nine innings in 35 2/3 frames in the big leagues this year. Miller owned a 2.64 ERA with 14.1 strikeouts and 5.0 walks per nine innings in 37 games (30 2/3 innings). With his absence, the Sox have just one left-hander on the roster (Craig Breslow).
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- With new delivery honed, Haley looks to build on breakout season
- Scouting Scratch: Yoan Moncada
- Owens reassigned to minors in latest roster cuts; Boggs released
- The Write-Up: More reports from Fort Myers
- Karsten Whitson close to his old self in Red Sox system
- 2015 Spring Training Reports
- With injury behind him, Longhi honing selective approach this spring
- Podcast Ep. 71: Spring Training Reports!
- Scouting Scratch: Trey Ball
- Fort Report: SoxProspects crew arrives in Fort Myers