Monday’s Red Sox-Mariners matchups: Jon Lester vs. Felix Hernandez
|07.08.13 at 1:54 pm ET|
Jon Lester has been more effective his last two starts, seemingly coming out of his month-long sputter, and he will look to continue that uptick in sharpness Monday night at Safeco Field against the Mariners and their ace, Felix Hernandez.
However, that June 27 start — in which he allowed four earned runs in seven innings — could represent the start of a turnaround for Lester. He followed that up with seven more innings of one-run ball in a 2-1 win over the Padres last Wednesday, scattering six hits and a walk while striking out five.
He gave up half of those hits during a 32-pitch first inning, but Lester settled down after that in his eventual no-decision, paving the way for Jonny Gomes‘ walk-off dramatics.
‘The team’s been doing pretty good,’ Lester told reporters after the game. ‘I think I’ve thrown the ball better at times — better than what my line scores have been showing. There have been some bad ones mixed in there, but after last start [June 27] and this start, maybe start stringing some good ones together and get on a little bit of a roll.’
Lester has found success against the team closest to his hometown of Tacoma, Wash. He is 4-2 with a 3.58 ERA while striking out 63 batters in 60 1/3 innings.
Hernandez — who Saturday was named an AL All-Star for the fourth time — has similar numbers against the Sox (6-2, 3.18 ERA).
On the whole, the 6-foot-3 righty is pitching as well as ever. His 2.69 ERA, 1.11 WHIP and 9.5 K/9 rate are all better than his career averages, and in his last two starts opposing teams have scored four runs in 14 innings while fanning 18 times.
Fifth-inning solo homers from David Murphy and Ian Kinsler were the only blemishes on Hernandez’s day against the Rangers Wednesday.
A number of Red Sox have a considerable number of plate appearances against Hernandez, most notably his former AL West rival Mike Napoli (.641 OPS in 39 plate appearances).
Red Sox vs. Hernandez (RHP)
Mike Napoli (39 plate appearances): .182 BA/.308 OBP/.333 SLG, 2 doubles, 1 home run, 3 RBIs, 6 walks, 12 strikeouts
Dustin Pedroia (35): .313/.371/.438, 1 double, 1 home run, 3 RBIs, 3 walks, 5 strikeouts
David Ortiz (32): .259/.375/.407, 1 double, 1 home run, 4 RBIs, 5 walks, 6 strikeouts
Jarrod Saltalamacchia (24): .227/.292/.273, 1 double, 2 walks, 9 strikeouts
Jacoby Ellsbury (23): .286/.348/.571, 2 home runs, 3 RBIs, 2 walks, 3 strikeouts
Jonny Gomes (13): .200/.308/.200, 2 RBIs, 2 walks, 5 strikeouts
Daniel Nava (7): .143/.143/.143, 3 strikeouts
Shane Victorino (4): .667/.750/1.667, 1 double, 1 triple, 2 RBIs, 1 walk
Mike Carp, Brock Holt, Jose Iglesias, Ryan Lavarnway and Brandon Snyder have never faced Hernandez.
Mariners vs. Lester (LHP)
Raul Ibanez (12 plate appearances): .333 BA/.333 OBP/.500 SLG, 2 doubles, 5 strikeouts
Justin Smoak (10): .300/.300/.400, 1 double, 4 strikeouts
Brendan Ryan (9): .333/.333/.556, 2 doubles, 1 strikeout
Dustin Ackley (7): .286/.286/.286, 1 strikeout
Kyle Seager (7): .143/.153/.571, 1 home run, 2 RBIs
Endy Chavez (6): .333/.333/.333
Michael Saunders (6): .500/.500/1.000, 1 home run, 2 RBIs, 1 strikeout
Henry Blanco (3): .333/.333/.333, 1 strikeout
Kendrys Morales (3): .000/.000/.000, 1 RBI
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red Sox Will Not Fill GM Position After Mike Hazen's Hiring by...
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Recovery from Knee...
- Complete Offseason Guide, Predictions for the Boston Red Sox
- John Farrell to Return as Red Sox Manager: Latest Contract Details,...
- Red Sox's Disappointing ALDS Sweep Ends Iconic David Ortiz Era on Down...
- Ramirez, Ortiz, Betts Each Record 30+ Home Runs, 100+ RBI
- Indians vs. Red Sox ALDS Game 3: Live Score and Highlights
- FallWinter League Roundup: Dominican League begins, Haley solid
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada shines in AFL
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Mauricio Dubon
- Podcast Ep. #107: Instructs 2016
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Three
- Weekly Notes: Scouting Instructs, Moncada reassigned to the minors
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins