Red Sox call up Jackie Bradley Jr., Brandon Workman; Shane Victorino in lineup
|07.09.13 at 7:30 pm ET|
The Red Sox have promoted both outfielder Jackie Bradley and pitcher Brandon Workman from Triple-A Pawtucket, sending pitcher Jose De La Torre back to the PawSox while putting reliever Alex Wilson on the 15-day disabled list (thumb).
Bradley is hitting .297 with Pawtucket, owning seven home runs and a .922 OPS. For July, the outfielder has a 1.046 OPS to go along with a .250 batting average. The 23-year-old last played in the majors on June 5, having totaled 19 big league games this season.
This is Workman’s first appearance in the majors, having been taken in the second round of the 2010 amateur draft. Since being promoted to Pawtucket, the righty has gone 3-1 with a 2.80 ERA over six starts, striking out 34 in 35 1/3 innings. He does have some experience as a reliever at the University of Texas (as was pointed out by Red Sox assistant general manager Mike Hazen on The Bradford Files Podcast.)
Bradley gets the start for the Red Sox in center field against the Mariners, hitting ninth. Shane Victorino, who had been nursing an injured right hamstring, returns to play right field and hit second.
The following is the rest of the Red Sox lineup:
Daniel Nava LF
Shane Victorino RF
David Ortiz DH
Mike Napoli 1B
Brock Holt 3B
Jackie Bradley CF
Allen Webster P
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Podcast Ep. 70: Moncada signs, Ben Badler talks, PawSox sold!
- PawSox sold to group including Lucchino; reports say move to Providence likely
- Fort Report: Top prospects prepare for biggest tests yet
- Report: Red Sox have agreement to sign Moncada for $31.5M
- Unveiling the updated SoxProspects scouting reports, stage one
- Owens, Johnson among eight invited to Red Sox spring training
- Chicago Cubs claim Drake Britton off waivers
- Offseason Notes: Red Sox continue to shape roster
- Drake Britton designated for assignment as Red Sox sign Ogando
- Trade Analysis: Scouting Anthony Ranaudo