Red Sox call up Jackie Bradley Jr., Brandon Workman; Shane Victorino in lineup
|07.09.13 at 7:30 pm ET|
The Red Sox have promoted both outfielder Jackie Bradley and pitcher Brandon Workman from Triple-A Pawtucket, sending pitcher Jose De La Torre back to the PawSox while putting reliever Alex Wilson on the 15-day disabled list (thumb).
Bradley is hitting .297 with Pawtucket, owning seven home runs and a .922 OPS. For July, the outfielder has a 1.046 OPS to go along with a .250 batting average. The 23-year-old last played in the majors on June 5, having totaled 19 big league games this season.
This is Workman’s first appearance in the majors, having been taken in the second round of the 2010 amateur draft. Since being promoted to Pawtucket, the righty has gone 3-1 with a 2.80 ERA over six starts, striking out 34 in 35 1/3 innings. He does have some experience as a reliever at the University of Texas (as was pointed out by Red Sox assistant general manager Mike Hazen on The Bradford Files Podcast.)
Bradley gets the start for the Red Sox in center field against the Mariners, hitting ninth. Shane Victorino, who had been nursing an injured right hamstring, returns to play right field and hit second.
The following is the rest of the Red Sox lineup:
Daniel Nava LF
Shane Victorino RF
David Ortiz DH
Mike Napoli 1B
Brock Holt 3B
Jackie Bradley CF
Allen Webster P
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Boston Red Sox: Final Predictions for Each Key Spring Position Battle
- Boston Red Sox: The 5 Most Disappointing Players in Spring Training So...
- David Price Likely to Start Season on DL as He Recovers from Arm Injury
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Players Who Are in Serious Danger of Being Cut or...
- David Price Reportedly Won't Need Elbow Surgery, Will Be Out 7-10 Days
- David Price's Elbow Could Make or Break Red Sox's World Series Dreams
- David Price Underwent MRI on Elbow Injury, Scratched from Spring Training...
- Fort Report: New scouting reports, Meyers motivational WBC experience
- Ockimey making adjustments after second-half swoon
- Notes from the Field: Mata, Anderson, Dalbec, Hill and more from Day Three
- Meyers' big WBC moment now his motivation in camp
- Fort Report: Staff spends the weekend at camp
- Notes from the Field: Devers, Tobias, Garcia and more from Days One and Two
- Fort Report: Owens, Johnson highlight first round of cuts
- Podcast Ep. #113: It's Hard to Develop Baseball Players
- Podcast Ep. #112: If He Dies, He Dies
- Fort Report: Benintendi to bat third in Boston?