Red Sox agree to deal with Nick Longhi
|07.11.13 at 4:40 pm ET|
According to an industry source, the Red Sox have reached an agreement to sign outfielder Nick Longhi, a 30th round selection in the draft. Longhi, considered a potential early-round pick who slipped due to signability concerns, has above-average offensive potential with impressive raw power and a feel for the strike zone. He had a commitment to Louisiana State, but the Red Sox convinced him to turn pro — a frequent pattern for the Sox in some recent years, most notably with 2010 fourth-rounder Garin Cecchini (who passed on an LSU scholarship for a $1.31 million signing bonus).
Longhi struggled this spring at Venice High School, likely contributing to his signability slip, but the right-handed hitter (who throws left-handed) performed well on the showcase circuit last summer. He’s also extremely young (Longhi turns 18 in September) for a high school prospect, suggesting that he thrived against older prospect competition.
Baseball America had the following to say about Longhi:
“For pro scouts, he’s a corner bat prospect as the rare righthanded-hitting, lefthanded-throwing corner outfielder. Longhi has good raw power from the right side, but scouts debate his knack for hitting and ability to catch up to good velocity. He frequently hit in the lower half of a stacked Venice lineup. He’s a below-average runner who could be limited to left field or first base down the line in spite of his strong arm. Scouts who believe in Longhi’s bat see him as a potential top-five-rounds pick, but his signability could drop him down.”
That is precisely what happened, positioning the Sox to land a day-three selection with considerable upside.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez meet in PR finals
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Leon debuts, Elias strikes out seven
- SoxProspects.com's Top Posts of 2016
- December Notes: Sox deal key prospects for Sale, Thornburg
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Rodriguez tweaks knee, Castillo rakes
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Ramirez debuts, Vazquez homers
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Abad debuts, Hernandez goes deep again
- Scouting Updates: Mata leads group of DSL player page updates
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Eduardo Rodriguez debuts in Venezuela
- Trade Analysis: Scouting the prospects dealt for Tyler Thornburg