Red Sox lineup: Mike Napoli, Jarrod Saltalamacchia get day off, Mike Carp at first base
|07.11.13 at 12:58 pm ET|
Mike Carp will play first base as Mike Napoli gets the afternoon off. Napoli was 0-for-3 on Wednesday night, and while his offensive struggles have continued, he has showed signs of a turnaround, most notably with homers in each of the last two series. His home run on July 6 against the Angels was his first since June 1 in New York.
Jarrod Saltalamacchia also gets the day off, with Ryan Lavarnway behind the dish for the fourth game of the series. Jonny Gomes will play left and hit fifth, with Daniel Nava sliding over to right field as Shane Victorino also gets the day off.
Ryan Dempster (5-8, 4.04) gets the ball for the Red Sox. Dempster has been extremely effective for the Sox since the end of May. Six of his previous eight outings have been quality starts (at least six innings with three or fewer earned runs).
Right-hander Erasmo Ramirez will make his first major league start of the 2013 season for the Mariners. Erasmo appeared in 16 games for Seattle in 2012, posting a 3.36 ERA with a 1-3 record. So far this season in Triple-A Tacoma, Erasmo has a 3.09 ERA with 8.7 strikeouts per nine innings.
RED SOX LINEUP
Daniel Nava RF
David Ortiz DH
Jonny Gomes LF
Mike Carp 1B
Ryan Lavarnway C
Brock Holt 3B
Ryan Dempster SP
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Weekly Notes: Johnson makes Major League debut
- Cup of Coffee: Big offensive performances from Pawtucket, Greenville and Portland
- Cup of Coffee: Cuevas, Travis highlight tight Portland victory
- Cup of Coffee: Tejeda's big night pushes Portland past Fisher Cats
- 2015 Draft Recap: Benintendi a best-case scenario
- Podcast Ep. 81: Dropping in on the Drive, Darren Fenster interview
- Cup of Coffee: Owens solid again, Portland stages comeback
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi, Heller, bullpens highlight day for system
- Cup of Coffee: Aybar, Espinoza lead the GCL Red Sox
- Cup of Coffee: Another two-homer game for Bradley as PawSox fall