Red Sox lineup: Mike Napoli, Jarrod Saltalamacchia get day off, Mike Carp at first base
|07.11.13 at 12:58 pm ET|
Mike Carp will play first base as Mike Napoli gets the afternoon off. Napoli was 0-for-3 on Wednesday night, and while his offensive struggles have continued, he has showed signs of a turnaround, most notably with homers in each of the last two series. His home run on July 6 against the Angels was his first since June 1 in New York.
Jarrod Saltalamacchia also gets the day off, with Ryan Lavarnway behind the dish for the fourth game of the series. Jonny Gomes will play left and hit fifth, with Daniel Nava sliding over to right field as Shane Victorino also gets the day off.
Ryan Dempster (5-8, 4.04) gets the ball for the Red Sox. Dempster has been extremely effective for the Sox since the end of May. Six of his previous eight outings have been quality starts (at least six innings with three or fewer earned runs).
Right-hander Erasmo Ramirez will make his first major league start of the 2013 season for the Mariners. Erasmo appeared in 16 games for Seattle in 2012, posting a 3.36 ERA with a 1-3 record. So far this season in Triple-A Tacoma, Erasmo has a 3.09 ERA with 8.7 strikeouts per nine innings.
RED SOX LINEUP
Daniel Nava RF
David Ortiz DH
Jonny Gomes LF
Mike Carp 1B
Ryan Lavarnway C
Brock Holt 3B
Ryan Dempster SP
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Help Wanted: Database Coordinator
- January Notes: Red Sox extend contract with Greenville
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Champions crowned as play concludes
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Championship series underway
- 2015 Graduates in Review: Blake Swihart
- Help Wanted: Writers, Editors
- Red Sox bring back Dan Butler on minor league deal
- 2015 Graduates in Review: Eduardo Rodriguez
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Ramos and Castillo combine for 16 hits
- 2015 Graduates in Review: Henry Owens