Red Sox lineup: Mike Napoli, Jarrod Saltalamacchia get day off, Mike Carp at first base
|07.11.13 at 12:58 pm ET|
Mike Carp will play first base as Mike Napoli gets the afternoon off. Napoli was 0-for-3 on Wednesday night, and while his offensive struggles have continued, he has showed signs of a turnaround, most notably with homers in each of the last two series. His home run on July 6 against the Angels was his first since June 1 in New York.
Jarrod Saltalamacchia also gets the day off, with Ryan Lavarnway behind the dish for the fourth game of the series. Jonny Gomes will play left and hit fifth, with Daniel Nava sliding over to right field as Shane Victorino also gets the day off.
Ryan Dempster (5-8, 4.04) gets the ball for the Red Sox. Dempster has been extremely effective for the Sox since the end of May. Six of his previous eight outings have been quality starts (at least six innings with three or fewer earned runs).
Right-hander Erasmo Ramirez will make his first major league start of the 2013 season for the Mariners. Erasmo appeared in 16 games for Seattle in 2012, posting a 3.36 ERA with a 1-3 record. So far this season in Triple-A Tacoma, Erasmo has a 3.09 ERA with 8.7 strikeouts per nine innings.
RED SOX LINEUP
Daniel Nava RF
David Ortiz DH
Jonny Gomes LF
Mike Carp 1B
Ryan Lavarnway C
Brock Holt 3B
Ryan Dempster SP
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Rookie Dev Program notes: Ramos healthy, Swihart looks back
- Mookie Betts is prepared for whatever 2015 may bring
- Brian Johnson prepared to follow up stellar 2014 campaign
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Weeks helps Mayaguez advance to finals
- Rookie Development Program easing transition for young players
- Offseason Notes: Veterans Bianchi, Boggs highlight minor league signings
- Red Sox acquire Danny Rosenbaum from Nationals for Dan Butler
- Red Sox announce front office moves
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Playoffs begin, Marban pitches well in Australia
- Betts, Castillo highlight Red Sox Rookie Development Program participants