Red Sox acquire reliever Matt Thornton in exchange for minor leaguer Brandon Jacobs
|07.12.13 at 11:00 pm ET|
The Red Sox have acquired left-handed relief pitcher Matt Thornton from the Chicago White Sox in exchange for minor league outfielder Brandon Jacobs. The Red Sox also get $750,000 from the White Sox in the deal.
The 36-year-old Thornton has a 3.86 ERA over 40 appearances, having struck out 21 and walked 10 over 28 innings. Over his last 13 appearances opponents are hitting .194 against Thornton, with right-handed batters going 2-for-16 during the stretch.
Thornton is coming off a ’12 season in which he notched a 3.46 ERA in 74 appearances, striking out 53 and walking 17. He has been with the White Sox since ’06, having been traded from Seattle March 20 of that year.
For the season, lefty batters are hitting just .173 vs. the southpaw, whose fastball is averaging just over 94 mph.
Thornton is in the final season of a two-year extension that pays him $5.5 million for ’13. The deal carries a $6 million club option for ’14 that includes a $1 million buyout. To make room for the reliever on the 40-man roster, the Red Sox placed Andrew Miller on the 60-day disabled list.
Jacobs, a 10th round pick in the 2009 draft, had recently been promoted to Double-A Portland after totaling a .244 batting average and .774 OPS with 11 home runs and 10 stolen bases while playing for Single-A Salem. In two games with the Sea Dogs the 6-foot-1, 225-pound former Auburn football recruit was 2-for-6.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- MLB Reportedly 'Looking Into' Ortiz's Comments for Tampering
- Red Sox Pay Heavy, but Necessary Price to Go for It with Pomeranz
- Moncada Primed to Make Phenom-Loaded Red Sox Even Richer
- Craig Kimbrel Injury Updates on Recovery from Knee Surgery
- Latest on Brad Ziegler to Red Sox
- Brewers Trade INF Aaron Hill to Red Sox
- Bradley, Betts, and Bogaerts Give MLB a New-Age 'Killer B's'
- Cup of Coffee: Sermo homers three times; Basabe keeps streaking
- Scouting Scratch: Luis Alexander Basabe and Michael Chavis
- Cup of Coffee: Procyshen homers, Benintendi triples in victories
- Podcast Ep. #103: Yes Devers loves me, the homers tell me so
- Weekly notes: Benintendi moves to left field
- Cup of Coffee: Dubon collects four hits, Kemp blasts two homers
- Cup of Coffee: Marrero and Devers homer, Dalbec debuts
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi debuts in left, Basabe stays hot
- Cup of Coffee: Boyd spins gem, Hill stays hot
- Cup of Coffee: Mendoza leads DSL 1 in lone affiliate victory