Red Sox acquire reliever Matt Thornton in exchange for minor leaguer Brandon Jacobs
|07.12.13 at 11:00 pm ET|
The Red Sox have acquired left-handed relief pitcher Matt Thornton from the Chicago White Sox in exchange for minor league outfielder Brandon Jacobs. The Red Sox also get $750,000 from the White Sox in the deal.
The 36-year-old Thornton has a 3.86 ERA over 40 appearances, having struck out 21 and walked 10 over 28 innings. Over his last 13 appearances opponents are hitting .194 against Thornton, with right-handed batters going 2-for-16 during the stretch.
Thornton is coming off a ’12 season in which he notched a 3.46 ERA in 74 appearances, striking out 53 and walking 17. He has been with the White Sox since ’06, having been traded from Seattle March 20 of that year.
For the season, lefty batters are hitting just .173 vs. the southpaw, whose fastball is averaging just over 94 mph.
Thornton is in the final season of a two-year extension that pays him $5.5 million for ’13. The deal carries a $6 million club option for ’14 that includes a $1 million buyout. To make room for the reliever on the 40-man roster, the Red Sox placed Andrew Miller on the 60-day disabled list.
Jacobs, a 10th round pick in the 2009 draft, had recently been promoted to Double-A Portland after totaling a .244 batting average and .774 OPS with 11 home runs and 10 stolen bases while playing for Single-A Salem. In two games with the Sea Dogs the 6-foot-1, 225-pound former Auburn football recruit was 2-for-6.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Scouting Report Update: Groome, Shawaryn lead first Lowell updates
- Scouting Report Updates: GCL updates from Fall Instructs
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez meet in PR finals
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Leon debuts, Elias strikes out seven
- SoxProspects.com's Top Posts of 2016
- December Notes: Sox deal key prospects for Sale, Thornburg
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Rodriguez tweaks knee, Castillo rakes
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Ramirez debuts, Vazquez homers
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Abad debuts, Hernandez goes deep again
- Scouting Updates: Mata leads group of DSL player page updates