Red Sox acquire reliever Matt Thornton in exchange for minor leaguer Brandon Jacobs
|07.12.13 at 11:00 pm ET|
The Red Sox have acquired left-handed relief pitcher Matt Thornton from the Chicago White Sox in exchange for minor league outfielder Brandon Jacobs. The Red Sox also get $750,000 from the White Sox in the deal.
The 36-year-old Thornton has a 3.86 ERA over 40 appearances, having struck out 21 and walked 10 over 28 innings. Over his last 13 appearances opponents are hitting .194 against Thornton, with right-handed batters going 2-for-16 during the stretch.
Thornton is coming off a ’12 season in which he notched a 3.46 ERA in 74 appearances, striking out 53 and walking 17. He has been with the White Sox since ’06, having been traded from Seattle March 20 of that year.
For the season, lefty batters are hitting just .173 vs. the southpaw, whose fastball is averaging just over 94 mph.
Thornton is in the final season of a two-year extension that pays him $5.5 million for ’13. The deal carries a $6 million club option for ’14 that includes a $1 million buyout. To make room for the reliever on the 40-man roster, the Red Sox placed Andrew Miller on the 60-day disabled list.
Jacobs, a 10th round pick in the 2009 draft, had recently been promoted to Double-A Portland after totaling a .244 batting average and .774 OPS with 11 home runs and 10 stolen bases while playing for Single-A Salem. In two games with the Sea Dogs the 6-foot-1, 225-pound former Auburn football recruit was 2-for-6.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Boston Red Sox: Final Predictions for Each Key Spring Position Battle
- Boston Red Sox: The 5 Most Disappointing Players in Spring Training So...
- David Price Likely to Start Season on DL as He Recovers from Arm Injury
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Players Who Are in Serious Danger of Being Cut or...
- David Price Reportedly Won't Need Elbow Surgery, Will Be Out 7-10 Days
- David Price's Elbow Could Make or Break Red Sox's World Series Dreams
- David Price Underwent MRI on Elbow Injury, Scratched from Spring Training...
- Notes from the Field: Jason Groome debuts on Day Four
- Chatham using size to his advantage at shortstop
- Fort Report: Another round of cuts as Opening Day nears
- Podcast Ep. #114: Straight Outta A-Ball
- Fort Report: New scouting reports, Meyers motivational WBC experience
- Ockimey making adjustments after second-half swoon
- Notes from the Field: Mata, Anderson, Dalbec, Hill and more from Day Three
- Meyers' big WBC moment now his motivation in camp
- Fort Report: Staff spends the weekend at camp
- Notes from the Field: Devers, Tobias, Garcia and more from Days One and Two