Red Sox prospect Garin Cecchini added to All-Star Futures roster
|07.12.13 at 12:27 am ET|
The Red Sox will be well represented at the All-Star Futures Game in New York on Sunday, as third baseman Garin Cecchini became the third Sox prospect named to the team on Thursday. Cecchini — who finished second in voting for the final spot on the U.S. roster — was named an injury replacement for Rangers prospect Joey Gallo.
Cecchini ranks among the leaders in all of the minors (full-season affiliates) in OBP (.474, second) and average (.358, third) based on his combined work in High-A Salem and Double-A Portland, went 0-for-3 for the Sea Dogs on Thursday night, snapping a streak of 17 straight games reaching base to start his Double-A career. Still, in 18 games with Portland, he’s hitting .385/.487/.538, cementing his claim to one of the best seasons of anyone in the minors. In addition to his exceptional average and OBP, Cecchini — A 2010 fourth-round pick who was signed away from a commitment to LSU for a $1.31 million bonus — has also shown improving pop this year, with 34 extra-base hits (24 doubles, four triples, six homers) in 81 games.
Cecchini will join Portland teammate Anthony Ranaudo at the Futures Game as well as Pawtucket shortstop Xander Bogaerts. This marks the first time that three Red Sox minor leaguers have been named to the Futures Game.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red-Hot Red Sox Emerging as Alpha Dog in AL
- David Ortiz Passes Dave Kingman for Most HRs by a Player in His Final...
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Knee and Return
- Price Starting to Become Clutch Ace at Crucial Time
- David Ortiz Comments on Donald Trump
- Yoan Moncada to Be Recalled from Double-A Portland by Red Sox
- Moncada Could Provide Red Sox with Spark
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins
- Podcast Ep. #106: AJ No-Teller
- Weekly Notes: Benintendi & Moncada among award winners
- SoxProspects.com 2016 season-end award winners
- Groome highlights 2016 Fall Instructional League roster
- Moncada named Baseball America's Minor League Player of the Year
- Weekly Notes: Minor league season ends, Moncada struggles in Bigs