Red Sox prospect Garin Cecchini added to All-Star Futures roster
|07.12.13 at 12:27 am ET|
The Red Sox will be well represented at the All-Star Futures Game in New York on Sunday, as third baseman Garin Cecchini became the third Sox prospect named to the team on Thursday. Cecchini — who finished second in voting for the final spot on the U.S. roster — was named an injury replacement for Rangers prospect Joey Gallo.
Cecchini ranks among the leaders in all of the minors (full-season affiliates) in OBP (.474, second) and average (.358, third) based on his combined work in High-A Salem and Double-A Portland, went 0-for-3 for the Sea Dogs on Thursday night, snapping a streak of 17 straight games reaching base to start his Double-A career. Still, in 18 games with Portland, he’s hitting .385/.487/.538, cementing his claim to one of the best seasons of anyone in the minors. In addition to his exceptional average and OBP, Cecchini — A 2010 fourth-round pick who was signed away from a commitment to LSU for a $1.31 million bonus — has also shown improving pop this year, with 34 extra-base hits (24 doubles, four triples, six homers) in 81 games.
Cecchini will join Portland teammate Anthony Ranaudo at the Futures Game as well as Pawtucket shortstop Xander Bogaerts. This marks the first time that three Red Sox minor leaguers have been named to the Futures Game.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Updating the scouting reports - stage two complete
- Fort Report: Moncada Madness
- Podcast Ep. 70: Moncada signs, Ben Badler talks, PawSox sold!
- PawSox sold to group including Lucchino; reports say move to Providence likely
- Fort Report: Top prospects prepare for biggest tests yet
- Report: Red Sox have agreement to sign Moncada for $31.5M
- Unveiling the updated SoxProspects scouting reports, stage one
- Owens, Johnson among eight invited to Red Sox spring training
- Chicago Cubs claim Drake Britton off waivers
- Offseason Notes: Red Sox continue to shape roster