Red Sox prospect Garin Cecchini added to All-Star Futures roster
|07.12.13 at 12:27 am ET|
The Red Sox will be well represented at the All-Star Futures Game in New York on Sunday, as third baseman Garin Cecchini became the third Sox prospect named to the team on Thursday. Cecchini — who finished second in voting for the final spot on the U.S. roster — was named an injury replacement for Rangers prospect Joey Gallo.
Cecchini ranks among the leaders in all of the minors (full-season affiliates) in OBP (.474, second) and average (.358, third) based on his combined work in High-A Salem and Double-A Portland, went 0-for-3 for the Sea Dogs on Thursday night, snapping a streak of 17 straight games reaching base to start his Double-A career. Still, in 18 games with Portland, he’s hitting .385/.487/.538, cementing his claim to one of the best seasons of anyone in the minors. In addition to his exceptional average and OBP, Cecchini — A 2010 fourth-round pick who was signed away from a commitment to LSU for a $1.31 million bonus — has also shown improving pop this year, with 34 extra-base hits (24 doubles, four triples, six homers) in 81 games.
Cecchini will join Portland teammate Anthony Ranaudo at the Futures Game as well as Pawtucket shortstop Xander Bogaerts. This marks the first time that three Red Sox minor leaguers have been named to the Futures Game.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- David Ortiz Discusses Retirement from Baseball, Time with Red Sox
- Jackie Bradley Jr. Is Now a Red Sox Star
- Big Papi Cementing His Legend with a Bang
- Ortiz Passes Banks, Mathews for 22nd Place on MLB's HR List
- Red Sox's High-Octane Offense Fueling Rise Back to Prominence
- Red Sox Score Double-Digit Runs for 4th Consecutive Game
- Red Sox 1st Team Since 1999 to Score 13+ Runs in 3 Straight
- Cup of Coffee: Rodriguez fires seven strong innings in rehab start
- Cup of Coffee: Raudes strikes out eight over six scoreless frames
- Weekly Notes: Rodriguez to start tomorrow for Pawtucket
- Cup of Coffee: Ball shines again for Salem
- The Write-Up: Eduardo Rodriguez
- Cup of Coffee: Kemp homers twice, Light hits 101
- Cup of Coffee: Moore comes through in the clutch for Salem
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada wins it in extras
- Cup of Coffee: Elias's career night powers Pawtucket
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi drives in two to boost Couch, Sea Dogs