Red Sox prospect Garin Cecchini added to All-Star Futures roster
|07.12.13 at 12:27 am ET|
The Red Sox will be well represented at the All-Star Futures Game in New York on Sunday, as third baseman Garin Cecchini became the third Sox prospect named to the team on Thursday. Cecchini — who finished second in voting for the final spot on the U.S. roster — was named an injury replacement for Rangers prospect Joey Gallo.
Cecchini ranks among the leaders in all of the minors (full-season affiliates) in OBP (.474, second) and average (.358, third) based on his combined work in High-A Salem and Double-A Portland, went 0-for-3 for the Sea Dogs on Thursday night, snapping a streak of 17 straight games reaching base to start his Double-A career. Still, in 18 games with Portland, he’s hitting .385/.487/.538, cementing his claim to one of the best seasons of anyone in the minors. In addition to his exceptional average and OBP, Cecchini — A 2010 fourth-round pick who was signed away from a commitment to LSU for a $1.31 million bonus — has also shown improving pop this year, with 34 extra-base hits (24 doubles, four triples, six homers) in 81 games.
Cecchini will join Portland teammate Anthony Ranaudo at the Futures Game as well as Pawtucket shortstop Xander Bogaerts. This marks the first time that three Red Sox minor leaguers have been named to the Futures Game.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Updates on Red Sox Outfielder Chris Young Injury's
- Moncada Has a 'Following Everywhere We Go'
- AL ERA Leader Steven Wright Filling Red Sox's Need for Co-Ace
- Rusney Castillo Clears Waivers, Sent to Triple-A: Comments, Reaction
- Ted Williams 'Would Have Loved' Ortiz Hitting HR No. 521
- Prospect Profile for Red Sox's 1st-Round Pick Jason Groome
- Can Red Sox Make Real Run at 1,000 Runs in 2016?
- 2016 Annual Drive - Help Keep SoxProspects Free!
- Cup of Coffee: Wilkerson strikes out eight to make his case
- Podcast Ep. #100: Your regularly scheduled June programming
- Red Sox promote Miller, option Cuevas
- Weekly Notes: Promotions continue and scouting notes
- Cup of Coffee: Ball great again, Benintendi stays hot
- Cup of Coffee: Espinoza, O'Sullivan impress on the mound
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Sam Travis
- Cup of Coffee: GCL opens season, Washington, Moncada mash
- Scouting Scratch: Kevin Steen, Enmanuel De Jesus and more Lowell pitchers