Saturday’s Red Sox-Athletics matchups: Jon Lester vs. A.J. Griffin
|07.13.13 at 9:23 am ET|
It’s been a tumultuous first half for Jon Lester, the left-hander’s first nine starts looking like the Lester of old, and everything since then ‘ everything since mid-May ‘ looking more and more like the 2012 version. He will have a chance to close out his first half on a high note when he takes to the mound against the AL West first-place Athletics and righty A.J. Griffin Saturday night at O.co Coliseum.
Lester looked like he may have turned a corner as June turned to July, but he took a big step backward his last time out. The Mariners ‘ who hit .242 as a team ‘ lit him up for five runs on nine hits and two walks in five innings Monday. He threw 112 pitches and struck out six batters by the time Mike Zunino‘s sixth-inning single ended his night.
Justin Smoak (2-for-3, double, RBI), Raul Ibanez (home run) and a 39-pitch fourth inning in particular presented problems for the 6-foot-4 southpaw.
‘I felt like I threw a lot of good pitches tonight, but I threw balls that found the middle of the plate,’ Lester told the media after the 11-4 Red Sox loss. ‘They did a better job of fouling pitches off to get to those pitches. It goes back to, I feel like I threw the ball better than what the line score says.’
Jarrod Saltalamacchia was a bit more complimentary.
‘I thought his curveball was the best I’ve seen as far as being sharp and having some good movement to it,’ the catcher said before crediting M’s hitters with fouling off and laying off good pitches.
On the season, Lester is 8-5 with a 4.60 ERA and 1.37 WHIP. His 7.5 K/9 mark is around what it was last season, but his 2.36 K/BB rate would be his worse since 2008.
Lester tossed 5 2/3 innings against the A’s on April 24, and found moderate success. He allowed three runs on six hits, but also walked six batters before exiting with 115 pitches under his belt.
Griffin (7-6, 3.94 ERA), meanwhile, has had a solid sophomore season, even if he does average a long ball per outing.
His shortest start of the year came against the Red Sox on April 22 when he gave up nine runs (seven earned) on eight hits (two homers) and a walk in four innings. The biggest blow came in the fifth when Mike Napoli sent an 0-1 fastball over the fence in left-center for a grand slam.
Griffin pitched well, if inefficiently, his last time out. He worked his way up to 105 pitches in just five innings of work, yielding two runs on five hits (two homers) and a walk to the Royals in Oakland’s 10-4 win.
Red Sox vs. Griffin (RHP)
Jarrod Saltalamacchia (8 plate appearances): .250 BA/.250 OBP/.250 SLG, 2 strikeouts
Mike Napoli (7): .333/.429/1.000, 1 double, 1 home run, 5 RBIs, 1 strikeout
Jacoby Ellsbury (6): .167/.167/.333, 1 double
Daniel Nava (6): .167/.167/.333, 1 double
David Ortiz (6): .500/.667/1.500, 1 double, 1 home run, 1 RBI, 2 walks, 2 strikeouts
Dustin Pedroia (6): .167/.167/.167, 1 RBI
Shane Victorino (3): .333/.333/.333
Ryan Lavarnway (2): .500/.500/.500
Jackie Bradley Jr., Mike Carp, Johhny Gomes, Brock Holt, Jose Iglesias and Brandon Snyder have never faced Griffin.
Athletics vs. Lester (LHP)
Coco Crisp (9 plate appearances): .286 BA/.333 OBP/.714 SLG, 1 home run, 2 RBIs, 1 walk, 1 strikeout
Chris Young (6): .500/.667/1.500, 1 double, 1 home run, 3 RBIs, 2 walks, 2 strikeouts
Yoenis Cespedes (3): .000/.000/.000, 2 strikeouts
Josh Donaldson (3): .333/.333/.667, 1 double
Nate Freiman (3): .000/.667/.000, 2 walks
Jed Lowrie (3): .667/.667/.667
Brandon Moss (3): .333/.333/.333, 2 strikeouts
Derek Norris (3): .000/.333/.000, walk
Josh Reddick (3): .000/.000/.000, 1 strikeout
Seth Smith (3): .000/.333/.000, 1 walk, 1 strikeout
Grant Green, John Jaso and Eric Sogard have never faced Lester.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Recovery from Knee...
- Complete Offseason Guide, Predictions for the Boston Red Sox
- John Farrell to Return as Red Sox Manager: Latest Contract Details,...
- Red Sox's Disappointing ALDS Sweep Ends Iconic David Ortiz Era on Down...
- Ramirez, Ortiz, Betts Each Record 30+ Home Runs, 100+ RBI
- Indians vs. Red Sox ALDS Game 3: Live Score and Highlights
- David Price Allowed 5 ER in 3.1 IP and Is Now 0-8 in Career Postseason...
- FallWinter League Roundup: Dominican League begins, Haley solid
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada shines in AFL
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Mauricio Dubon
- Podcast Ep. #107: Instructs 2016
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Three
- Weekly Notes: Scouting Instructs, Moncada reassigned to the minors
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins