Alfredo Aceves unclaimed on waivers, removed from 40-man roster
|07.14.13 at 10:19 pm ET|
The Red Sox announced that they have outrighted right-hander Alfredo Aceves — who was optioned to Triple-A Pawtucket last week after a brief stint in the big leagues — to the PawSox. The procedural action removes Aceves from the 40-man big league roster, but perhaps more notably, it also means that the right-hander cleared outright waivers, meaning all 29 clubs passed on the opportunity to claim him at no cost (except for his split contract), despite the fact that he has options remaining.
That comes as at least a mild surprise, given the scarcity of starting pitching in the big leagues and the fact that Aceves had performed well this year out of a big league rotation, going 4-1 with a 4.45 ERA in six starts, including a three-start run in May and June when he gave up just three runs in 17 innings. However, given that Aceves has proven, at times, a challenge to fit into both the Sox and before them the Yankees organizations, the fact that he went unclaimed doesn’t represent a total shock.
According to one industry source, the Red Sox do not currently have any active plans to fill the vacant 40-man roster spot. Still, as was the case when the Sox outrighted Jonathan Diaz recently (even though he’d already been optioned to Pawtucket after a brief callup), the move gives the Sox flexibility to make a roster move (whether calling up a player who is not currently on the 40-man roster or making a trade) should they wish to do so in coming days.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- What Chris Sale Can Learn from David Price's Letdown Red Sox Debut Season
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Key Questions That Need Answering in Spring Training
- Boston Red Sox: 4 Last-Minute Moves They Should Consider
- David Ortiz's No. 34 to Be Retired by Red Sox: Details and Reaction
- Boston Red Sox: Ranking the Top 10 Prospects Ahead of Spring Training
- Red Sox Spring Training 2017 Preview: Predictions, Players to Watch and...
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo and Puerto Rico capture Caribbean Series title
- Former top 20 prospect Acosta returns to camp with Red Sox in DR
- January Notes: Devers invited to camp; Benintendi gets press
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo leads Caguas to PR championship
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez impress in PR finals
- Scouting Report Update: Groome, Shawaryn lead first Lowell updates
- Scouting Report Updates: GCL updates from Fall Instructs
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez meet in PR finals
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Leon debuts, Elias strikes out seven
- SoxProspects.com's Top Posts of 2016