Alfredo Aceves unclaimed on waivers, removed from 40-man roster
|07.14.13 at 10:19 pm ET|
The Red Sox announced that they have outrighted right-hander Alfredo Aceves — who was optioned to Triple-A Pawtucket last week after a brief stint in the big leagues — to the PawSox. The procedural action removes Aceves from the 40-man big league roster, but perhaps more notably, it also means that the right-hander cleared outright waivers, meaning all 29 clubs passed on the opportunity to claim him at no cost (except for his split contract), despite the fact that he has options remaining.
That comes as at least a mild surprise, given the scarcity of starting pitching in the big leagues and the fact that Aceves had performed well this year out of a big league rotation, going 4-1 with a 4.45 ERA in six starts, including a three-start run in May and June when he gave up just three runs in 17 innings. However, given that Aceves has proven, at times, a challenge to fit into both the Sox and before them the Yankees organizations, the fact that he went unclaimed doesn’t represent a total shock.
According to one industry source, the Red Sox do not currently have any active plans to fill the vacant 40-man roster spot. Still, as was the case when the Sox outrighted Jonathan Diaz recently (even though he’d already been optioned to Pawtucket after a brief callup), the move gives the Sox flexibility to make a roster move (whether calling up a player who is not currently on the 40-man roster or making a trade) should they wish to do so in coming days.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Boston Red Sox: Final Predictions for Each Key Spring Position Battle
- Boston Red Sox: The 5 Most Disappointing Players in Spring Training So...
- David Price Likely to Start Season on DL as He Recovers from Arm Injury
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Players Who Are in Serious Danger of Being Cut or...
- David Price Reportedly Won't Need Elbow Surgery, Will Be Out 7-10 Days
- David Price's Elbow Could Make or Break Red Sox's World Series Dreams
- David Price Underwent MRI on Elbow Injury, Scratched from Spring Training...
- Fort Report: New scouting reports, Meyers motivational WBC experience
- Ockimey making adjustments after second-half swoon
- Notes from the Field: Mata, Anderson, Dalbec, Hill and more from Day Three
- Meyers' big WBC moment now his motivation in camp
- Fort Report: Staff spends the weekend at camp
- Notes from the Field: Devers, Tobias, Garcia and more from Days One and Two
- Fort Report: Owens, Johnson highlight first round of cuts
- Podcast Ep. #113: It's Hard to Develop Baseball Players
- Podcast Ep. #112: If He Dies, He Dies
- Fort Report: Benintendi to bat third in Boston?