Alfredo Aceves unclaimed on waivers, removed from 40-man roster
|07.14.13 at 10:19 pm ET|
The Red Sox announced that they have outrighted right-hander Alfredo Aceves — who was optioned to Triple-A Pawtucket last week after a brief stint in the big leagues — to the PawSox. The procedural action removes Aceves from the 40-man big league roster, but perhaps more notably, it also means that the right-hander cleared outright waivers, meaning all 29 clubs passed on the opportunity to claim him at no cost (except for his split contract), despite the fact that he has options remaining.
That comes as at least a mild surprise, given the scarcity of starting pitching in the big leagues and the fact that Aceves had performed well this year out of a big league rotation, going 4-1 with a 4.45 ERA in six starts, including a three-start run in May and June when he gave up just three runs in 17 innings. However, given that Aceves has proven, at times, a challenge to fit into both the Sox and before them the Yankees organizations, the fact that he went unclaimed doesn’t represent a total shock.
According to one industry source, the Red Sox do not currently have any active plans to fill the vacant 40-man roster spot. Still, as was the case when the Sox outrighted Jonathan Diaz recently (even though he’d already been optioned to Pawtucket after a brief callup), the move gives the Sox flexibility to make a roster move (whether calling up a player who is not currently on the 40-man roster or making a trade) should they wish to do so in coming days.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Updates on Xander Bogaerts' Wrist and Return
- Latest Updates on Joe Kelly's Injury
- Even Price Can't Stop Red Sox Rotation Giving Bad Feeling of Deja Vu
- Sandoval's Ex-Trainer Says He Has Eating Problem
- Ortiz Closing in on Top 25 in Career Home Runs
- Updates on Red Sox Star Pablo Sandoval's Injury
- Ortiz Looks Determined to Go out with a Bang
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi continues surge, Smith rehabs
- Cup of Coffee: E-Rod rehabs, Ball debuts, Benintendi big again
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi powers Salem past Frederick
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Michael Chavis
- Cup of Coffee: Kyri Washington rips pair of doubles in Greenville loss
- Cup of Coffee: Cuevas, Swihart lead Pawtucket on a light night
- Michael Chavis placed on disabled list with torn thumb ligament (UPDATE: report rescinded)
- Weekly Notes: Light, Cuevas get first-time call-up
- Cup of Coffee: Lakins shoves, Drive bats come alive
- Red Sox recall Light and Owens for Sunday night tilt