Red Sox bats go silent in Oakland against A.J. Griffin, Grant Balfour
|07.14.13 at 1:09 am ET|
For just the sixth time this season, the Red Sox were shutout, this time thanks to Oakland starter A.J. Griffin and closer Grant Balfour. The end result Saturday night was a 3-0 defeat for the Sox, with the A’s snapping John Farrell team’s four-game win streak.
Griffin limited the Red Sox to just six hits over eight innings, paving the way for Balfour to pick up his 25th save of the season in as many chances.
The Red Sox left eight runners on base, going 0-for-5 with runners in scoring position. Mike Napoli and Shane Victorino each had a pair of hits for the visitors, with Jacoby Ellsbury, Dustin Pedroia, Jarrod Saltalamacchia and Jose Iglesias going a combined 0-for-15.
Taking the loss was Red Sox starter Jon Lester, who allowed three runs over 6 1/3 innings. Oakland broke a scoreless tie in the fifth inning when Derek Norris took the Sox lefty deep for a solo home run. The hosts added a run in the sixth inning when Yoenis Cespedes singled in Jed Lowrie.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red Sox Will Not Fill GM Position After Mike Hazen's Hiring by...
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Recovery from Knee...
- Complete Offseason Guide, Predictions for the Boston Red Sox
- John Farrell to Return as Red Sox Manager: Latest Contract Details,...
- Red Sox's Disappointing ALDS Sweep Ends Iconic David Ortiz Era on Down...
- Ramirez, Ortiz, Betts Each Record 30+ Home Runs, 100+ RBI
- Indians vs. Red Sox ALDS Game 3: Live Score and Highlights
- FallWinter League Roundup: Dominican League begins, Haley solid
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada shines in AFL
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Mauricio Dubon
- Podcast Ep. #107: Instructs 2016
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Three
- Weekly Notes: Scouting Instructs, Moncada reassigned to the minors
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins