Red Sox bats go silent in Oakland against A.J. Griffin, Grant Balfour
|07.14.13 at 1:09 am ET|
For just the sixth time this season, the Red Sox were shutout, this time thanks to Oakland starter A.J. Griffin and closer Grant Balfour. The end result Saturday night was a 3-0 defeat for the Sox, with the A’s snapping John Farrell team’s four-game win streak.
Griffin limited the Red Sox to just six hits over eight innings, paving the way for Balfour to pick up his 25th save of the season in as many chances.
The Red Sox left eight runners on base, going 0-for-5 with runners in scoring position. Mike Napoli and Shane Victorino each had a pair of hits for the visitors, with Jacoby Ellsbury, Dustin Pedroia, Jarrod Saltalamacchia and Jose Iglesias going a combined 0-for-15.
Taking the loss was Red Sox starter Jon Lester, who allowed three runs over 6 1/3 innings. Oakland broke a scoreless tie in the fifth inning when Derek Norris took the Sox lefty deep for a solo home run. The hosts added a run in the sixth inning when Yoenis Cespedes singled in Jed Lowrie.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Boston Red Sox: Final Predictions for Each Key Spring Position Battle
- Boston Red Sox: The 5 Most Disappointing Players in Spring Training So...
- David Price Likely to Start Season on DL as He Recovers from Arm Injury
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Players Who Are in Serious Danger of Being Cut or...
- David Price Reportedly Won't Need Elbow Surgery, Will Be Out 7-10 Days
- David Price's Elbow Could Make or Break Red Sox's World Series Dreams
- David Price Underwent MRI on Elbow Injury, Scratched from Spring Training...
- Notes from the Field: Mata, Anderson, Dalbec, Hill and more from Day Three
- Meyers' big WBC moment now his motivation in camp
- Fort Report: Staff spends the weekend at camp
- Notes from the Field: Devers, Tobias, Garcia and more from Days One and Two
- Fort Report: Owens, Johnson highlight first round of cuts
- Podcast Episode 113: It's Hard to Develop Baseball Players
- Podcast Ep. #112: If He Dies, He Dies
- Fort Report: Benintendi to bat third in Boston?
- Fort Report: Owens struggles, Castillo seeks redemption
- Support SoxProspects in 2017