Red Sox bats go silent in Oakland against A.J. Griffin, Grant Balfour
|07.14.13 at 1:09 am ET|
For just the sixth time this season, the Red Sox were shutout, this time thanks to Oakland starter A.J. Griffin and closer Grant Balfour. The end result Saturday night was a 3-0 defeat for the Sox, with the A’s snapping John Farrell team’s four-game win streak.
Griffin limited the Red Sox to just six hits over eight innings, paving the way for Balfour to pick up his 25th save of the season in as many chances.
The Red Sox left eight runners on base, going 0-for-5 with runners in scoring position. Mike Napoli and Shane Victorino each had a pair of hits for the visitors, with Jacoby Ellsbury, Dustin Pedroia, Jarrod Saltalamacchia and Jose Iglesias going a combined 0-for-15.
Taking the loss was Red Sox starter Jon Lester, who allowed three runs over 6 1/3 innings. Oakland broke a scoreless tie in the fifth inning when Derek Norris took the Sox lefty deep for a solo home run. The hosts added a run in the sixth inning when Yoenis Cespedes singled in Jed Lowrie.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- What Is Patriots' Day? Your Introduction to Boston's Greatest Holiday
- Stock Up, Stock Down for Boston Red Sox's Top 5 Prospects for Week 1
- Jackie Bradley Jr. to Be Placed on 10-Day DL with Knee Injury
- David Price's 1st Bullpen Session Since Elbow Injury Captured on Video
- Chris Sale Produces Dominant Debut Red Sox Needed to See
- 5 Bold Predictions for the Boston Red Sox's 2017 Season
- Boston Red Sox: Complete 2017 Season Preview, Predictions
- Cup of Coffee: Brentz homers in both ends of doubleheader
- Minor Notes: Steen in critical condition after early morning car crash
- Scouting Scratch: Rafael Devers
- System Restart '17: Low-level pitching
- Cup of Coffee: Sexton allows one hit over six innings for Greenville
- System Restart '17: Mid-level pitching
- Cup of Coffee: Boyd, Rei highlight quiet night in system
- System Restart '17: Upper-level pitching
- Cup of Coffee: Shawaryn strikes out nine as Drive cruise
- Minor Notes: Workman dominant in PawSox bullpen