Red Sox bats go silent in Oakland against A.J. Griffin, Grant Balfour
|07.14.13 at 1:09 am ET|
For just the sixth time this season, the Red Sox were shutout, this time thanks to Oakland starter A.J. Griffin and closer Grant Balfour. The end result Saturday night was a 3-0 defeat for the Sox, with the A’s snapping John Farrell team’s four-game win streak.
Griffin limited the Red Sox to just six hits over eight innings, paving the way for Balfour to pick up his 25th save of the season in as many chances.
The Red Sox left eight runners on base, going 0-for-5 with runners in scoring position. Mike Napoli and Shane Victorino each had a pair of hits for the visitors, with Jacoby Ellsbury, Dustin Pedroia, Jarrod Saltalamacchia and Jose Iglesias going a combined 0-for-15.
Taking the loss was Red Sox starter Jon Lester, who allowed three runs over 6 1/3 innings. Oakland broke a scoreless tie in the fifth inning when Derek Norris took the Sox lefty deep for a solo home run. The hosts added a run in the sixth inning when Yoenis Cespedes singled in Jed Lowrie.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Updates on Xander Bogaerts' Wrist and Return
- Latest Updates on Joe Kelly's Injury
- Even Price Can't Stop Red Sox Rotation Giving Bad Feeling of Deja Vu
- Sandoval's Ex-Trainer Says He Has Eating Problem
- Ortiz Closing in on Top 25 in Career Home Runs
- Updates on Red Sox Star Pablo Sandoval's Injury
- Ortiz Looks Determined to Go out with a Bang
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi powers Salem past Frederick
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Michael Chavis
- Cup of Coffee: Kyri Washington rips pair of doubles in Greenville loss
- Cup of Coffee: Cuevas, Swihart lead Pawtucket on a light night
- Michael Chavis placed on disabled list with torn thumb ligament (UPDATE: report rescinded)
- Weekly Notes: Light, Cuevas get first-time call-up
- Cup of Coffee: Lakins shoves, Drive bats come alive
- Red Sox recall Light and Owens for Sunday night tilt
- Cup of Coffee: Longhi stands out as affiliates are swept
- Cup of Coffee: PawSox, Ockimey continue hot streaks