David Ortiz hitting sixth for American League All-Stars
|07.15.13 at 2:10 pm ET|
NEW YORK — Jim Leyland’s American League lineup for Tuesday night’s All-Star Game will have Red Sox designated hitter David Ortiz hitting sixth. Ortiz, who is appearing in his ninth All-Star Game, hit seventh in last year’s lineup, serving as the only Red Sox’ representative.
Ortiz is currently third among major league hitters in OPS, having totaled 19 home runs while hitting .317.
The only other active Red Sox players on the AL roster is second baseman Dustin Pedroia, who was named to the team as a reserve. Pitcher Clay Buchholz will attend the game at Citi Field, but is not eligible to participate due to his current status on the 15-day disabled list.
The entire American League lineup is as follows: Mike Trout (CF), Robinson Cano (2B), Miguel Cabrera (3B), Chris Davis (1B), Jose Bautista (RF), David Ortiz (DH), Adam Jones (CF), Joe Mauer (C), J.J. Hardy (SS). The American League will start Detroit hurler Max Scherzer on the mound.
The National League lineup is: Brandon Phillips (2B), Carlos Beltran (RF), Joey Votto (1B), David Wright (3B), Carlos Gonzalez (LF), Yadier Molina (C), Troy Tulowitzki (SS), Michael Cuddyer (DH), Bryce Harper (CF). The Mets’ Matt Harvey will be the starting pitcher for the NL.
Also of note is that American League manager Jim Leyland said after announcing the AL lineup that Yankees closer Mariano Rivera, will definitely pitch in some capacity regarding of the score.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Cup of Coffee: Speier helps GCL Sox clinch division title
- Marrero and Coyle headed to Arizona Fall League
- Cup of Coffee: Chavis rips first career home run in GCL Sox win
- Weekly Notes: Battle for CF heats up with new addition
- Cup of Coffee: Asuaje leads the way, Wilkerson keeps rolling
- Cup of Coffee: Johnson dominates NH, Coyle hits 14th
- Cup of Coffee: Keith Couch strong for Portland; Salem walk off
- Reports: Red Sox sign Cuban OF Rusney Castillo
- Cup of Coffee: Miller homer lifts Portland following Rodriguez gem
- Barnes continues resurgence behind explosive fastball, strong curve