David Ortiz hitting sixth for American League All-Stars
|07.15.13 at 2:10 pm ET|
NEW YORK — Jim Leyland’s American League lineup for Tuesday night’s All-Star Game will have Red Sox designated hitter David Ortiz hitting sixth. Ortiz, who is appearing in his ninth All-Star Game, hit seventh in last year’s lineup, serving as the only Red Sox’ representative.
Ortiz is currently third among major league hitters in OPS, having totaled 19 home runs while hitting .317.
The only other active Red Sox players on the AL roster is second baseman Dustin Pedroia, who was named to the team as a reserve. Pitcher Clay Buchholz will attend the game at Citi Field, but is not eligible to participate due to his current status on the 15-day disabled list.
The entire American League lineup is as follows: Mike Trout (CF), Robinson Cano (2B), Miguel Cabrera (3B), Chris Davis (1B), Jose Bautista (RF), David Ortiz (DH), Adam Jones (CF), Joe Mauer (C), J.J. Hardy (SS). The American League will start Detroit hurler Max Scherzer on the mound.
The National League lineup is: Brandon Phillips (2B), Carlos Beltran (RF), Joey Votto (1B), David Wright (3B), Carlos Gonzalez (LF), Yadier Molina (C), Troy Tulowitzki (SS), Michael Cuddyer (DH), Bryce Harper (CF). The Mets’ Matt Harvey will be the starting pitcher for the NL.
Also of note is that American League manager Jim Leyland said after announcing the AL lineup that Yankees closer Mariano Rivera, will definitely pitch in some capacity regarding of the score.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Updates on Red Sox Outfielder Chris Young Injury's
- Moncada Has a 'Following Everywhere We Go'
- AL ERA Leader Steven Wright Filling Red Sox's Need for Co-Ace
- Rusney Castillo Clears Waivers, Sent to Triple-A: Comments, Reaction
- Ted Williams 'Would Have Loved' Ortiz Hitting HR No. 521
- Prospect Profile for Red Sox's 1st-Round Pick Jason Groome
- Can Red Sox Make Real Run at 1,000 Runs in 2016?
- 2016 Annual Drive - Help Keep SoxProspects Free!
- Scouting Scratch: Josh Pennington, Darwinzon Hernandez and Gerson Bautista
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi celebrates Futures Game selection with four-hit night
- Moncada and Benintendi named to Futures Game
- Cup of Coffee: Wilkerson strikes out eight to make his case
- Podcast Ep. #100: Your regularly scheduled June programming
- Red Sox promote Miller, option Cuevas
- Weekly Notes: Promotions continue and scouting notes
- Cup of Coffee: Ball great again, Benintendi stays hot
- Cup of Coffee: Espinoza, O'Sullivan impress on the mound