David Ortiz hitting sixth for American League All-Stars
|07.15.13 at 2:10 pm ET|
NEW YORK — Jim Leyland’s American League lineup for Tuesday night’s All-Star Game will have Red Sox designated hitter David Ortiz hitting sixth. Ortiz, who is appearing in his ninth All-Star Game, hit seventh in last year’s lineup, serving as the only Red Sox’ representative.
Ortiz is currently third among major league hitters in OPS, having totaled 19 home runs while hitting .317.
The only other active Red Sox players on the AL roster is second baseman Dustin Pedroia, who was named to the team as a reserve. Pitcher Clay Buchholz will attend the game at Citi Field, but is not eligible to participate due to his current status on the 15-day disabled list.
The entire American League lineup is as follows: Mike Trout (CF), Robinson Cano (2B), Miguel Cabrera (3B), Chris Davis (1B), Jose Bautista (RF), David Ortiz (DH), Adam Jones (CF), Joe Mauer (C), J.J. Hardy (SS). The American League will start Detroit hurler Max Scherzer on the mound.
The National League lineup is: Brandon Phillips (2B), Carlos Beltran (RF), Joey Votto (1B), David Wright (3B), Carlos Gonzalez (LF), Yadier Molina (C), Troy Tulowitzki (SS), Michael Cuddyer (DH), Bryce Harper (CF). The Mets’ Matt Harvey will be the starting pitcher for the NL.
Also of note is that American League manager Jim Leyland said after announcing the AL lineup that Yankees closer Mariano Rivera, will definitely pitch in some capacity regarding of the score.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Boston Red Sox: Final Predictions for Each Key Spring Position Battle
- Boston Red Sox: The 5 Most Disappointing Players in Spring Training So...
- David Price Likely to Start Season on DL as He Recovers from Arm Injury
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Players Who Are in Serious Danger of Being Cut or...
- David Price Reportedly Won't Need Elbow Surgery, Will Be Out 7-10 Days
- David Price's Elbow Could Make or Break Red Sox's World Series Dreams
- David Price Underwent MRI on Elbow Injury, Scratched from Spring Training...
- Fort Report: New scouting reports, Meyers motivational WBC experience
- Ockimey making adjustments after second-half swoon
- Notes from the Field: Mata, Anderson, Dalbec, Hill and more from Day Three
- Meyers' big WBC moment now his motivation in camp
- Fort Report: Staff spends the weekend at camp
- Notes from the Field: Devers, Tobias, Garcia and more from Days One and Two
- Fort Report: Owens, Johnson highlight first round of cuts
- Podcast Ep. #113: It's Hard to Develop Baseball Players
- Podcast Ep. #112: If He Dies, He Dies
- Fort Report: Benintendi to bat third in Boston?