David Ortiz hitting sixth for American League All-Stars
|07.15.13 at 2:10 pm ET|
NEW YORK — Jim Leyland’s American League lineup for Tuesday night’s All-Star Game will have Red Sox designated hitter David Ortiz hitting sixth. Ortiz, who is appearing in his ninth All-Star Game, hit seventh in last year’s lineup, serving as the only Red Sox’ representative.
Ortiz is currently third among major league hitters in OPS, having totaled 19 home runs while hitting .317.
The only other active Red Sox players on the AL roster is second baseman Dustin Pedroia, who was named to the team as a reserve. Pitcher Clay Buchholz will attend the game at Citi Field, but is not eligible to participate due to his current status on the 15-day disabled list.
The entire American League lineup is as follows: Mike Trout (CF), Robinson Cano (2B), Miguel Cabrera (3B), Chris Davis (1B), Jose Bautista (RF), David Ortiz (DH), Adam Jones (CF), Joe Mauer (C), J.J. Hardy (SS). The American League will start Detroit hurler Max Scherzer on the mound.
The National League lineup is: Brandon Phillips (2B), Carlos Beltran (RF), Joey Votto (1B), David Wright (3B), Carlos Gonzalez (LF), Yadier Molina (C), Troy Tulowitzki (SS), Michael Cuddyer (DH), Bryce Harper (CF). The Mets’ Matt Harvey will be the starting pitcher for the NL.
Also of note is that American League manager Jim Leyland said after announcing the AL lineup that Yankees closer Mariano Rivera, will definitely pitch in some capacity regarding of the score.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Cup of Coffee: Johnson's six perfect innings quiet Louisville's bats
- Cup of Coffee: Buttrey stays unbeaten; Longhi's bat paces Drive
- Scouting Scratch: High minors bullpen arms
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada returns, Bradley Jr. goes off
- Eduardo Rodriguez to be recalled for Thursday start
- Cup of Coffee: Roof and Tekotte go back-to-back in Portland win
- The Write-Up: Henry Owens
- Cup of Coffee: Stankiewicz fires eight-inning gem to lead Salem
- Weekly Notes: The Yoan Moncada era begins
- Cup of Coffee: Ball shuts down Dash offense, Callahan has wild outing