David Ortiz hitting sixth for American League All-Stars
|07.15.13 at 2:10 pm ET|
NEW YORK — Jim Leyland’s American League lineup for Tuesday night’s All-Star Game will have Red Sox designated hitter David Ortiz hitting sixth. Ortiz, who is appearing in his ninth All-Star Game, hit seventh in last year’s lineup, serving as the only Red Sox’ representative.
Ortiz is currently third among major league hitters in OPS, having totaled 19 home runs while hitting .317.
The only other active Red Sox players on the AL roster is second baseman Dustin Pedroia, who was named to the team as a reserve. Pitcher Clay Buchholz will attend the game at Citi Field, but is not eligible to participate due to his current status on the 15-day disabled list.
The entire American League lineup is as follows: Mike Trout (CF), Robinson Cano (2B), Miguel Cabrera (3B), Chris Davis (1B), Jose Bautista (RF), David Ortiz (DH), Adam Jones (CF), Joe Mauer (C), J.J. Hardy (SS). The American League will start Detroit hurler Max Scherzer on the mound.
The National League lineup is: Brandon Phillips (2B), Carlos Beltran (RF), Joey Votto (1B), David Wright (3B), Carlos Gonzalez (LF), Yadier Molina (C), Troy Tulowitzki (SS), Michael Cuddyer (DH), Bryce Harper (CF). The Mets’ Matt Harvey will be the starting pitcher for the NL.
Also of note is that American League manager Jim Leyland said after announcing the AL lineup that Yankees closer Mariano Rivera, will definitely pitch in some capacity regarding of the score.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Cup of Coffee: Moore, Miller provide heroics as Drive win in 14
- Cup of Coffee: Rodriguez tosses complete game, Kopech stymies Asheville
- Cup of Coffee: McCarthy pitches Portland past Thunder
- Cup of Coffee: Gunkel perfect in relief, Miller walks off for Greenville
- Cup of Coffee: Dahlstrand cruises again in Salem's win
- Cup of Coffee: Johnson tosses complete game shutout
- Cup of Coffee: Chavis homers in 10th inning to lead Drive
- Weekly Notes: Blake Swihart's hot start; Rusney Castillo on the mend
- Cup of Coffee: Cuevas struggles with command, Barnes bounces back
- Cup of Coffee: Swihart leads PawSox hit parade, Rodriguez earns first win