Source: Alfredo Aceves was no longer considered ‘reliable’ major league contributor, depth by Red Sox; serving as own agent
|07.15.13 at 1:51 pm ET|
NEW YORK — According to a team source, the impetus for Alfredo Aceves being taken off the Red Sox‘ 40-man roster was because the organization viewed him as neither a “reliable” major league contributor or major league depth.
The Sox outrighted Aceves to Triple-A Pawtucket Sunday. The righty cleared waivers, meaning all 29 clubs passed on the opportunity to claim him at no cost (except for his split contract), despite the fact that he has options remaining.
Two industry sources also confirmed that Aceves is no longer represented by agent Tom O’Connell, and is believed to be self-represented. (Aceves can receive assistance from from the Major League Baseball Players Association regarding any matter, if he chooses.)
Aceves last pitched for the Red Sox on July 9, giving up one hit over 2/3 innings of relief. With the Sox this season, the righty totaled a 4-1 mark with a 4.86 ERA. He made six starts, managing a 4.45 ERA in such a role.
The 30-year-old has made eight starts with the PawSox, going 4-2 with a 4.35 ERA.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Recovery from Knee...
- Complete Offseason Guide, Predictions for the Boston Red Sox
- John Farrell to Return as Red Sox Manager: Latest Contract Details,...
- Red Sox's Disappointing ALDS Sweep Ends Iconic David Ortiz Era on Down...
- Ramirez, Ortiz, Betts Each Record 30+ Home Runs, 100+ RBI
- Indians vs. Red Sox ALDS Game 3: Live Score and Highlights
- David Price Allowed 5 ER in 3.1 IP and Is Now 0-8 in Career Postseason...
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada shines in AFL
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Mauricio Dubon
- Podcast Ep. #107: Instructs 2016
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Three
- Weekly Notes: Scouting Instructs, Moncada reassigned to the minors
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins
- Podcast Ep. #106: AJ No-Teller