Source: Alfredo Aceves was no longer considered ‘reliable’ major league contributor, depth by Red Sox; serving as own agent
|07.15.13 at 1:51 pm ET|
NEW YORK — According to a team source, the impetus for Alfredo Aceves being taken off the Red Sox‘ 40-man roster was because the organization viewed him as neither a “reliable” major league contributor or major league depth.
The Sox outrighted Aceves to Triple-A Pawtucket Sunday. The righty cleared waivers, meaning all 29 clubs passed on the opportunity to claim him at no cost (except for his split contract), despite the fact that he has options remaining.
Two industry sources also confirmed that Aceves is no longer represented by agent Tom O’Connell, and is believed to be self-represented. (Aceves can receive assistance from from the Major League Baseball Players Association regarding any matter, if he chooses.)
Aceves last pitched for the Red Sox on July 9, giving up one hit over 2/3 innings of relief. With the Sox this season, the righty totaled a 4-1 mark with a 4.86 ERA. He made six starts, managing a 4.45 ERA in such a role.
The 30-year-old has made eight starts with the PawSox, going 4-2 with a 4.35 ERA.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red-Hot Red Sox Emerging as Alpha Dog in AL
- David Ortiz Passes Dave Kingman for Most HRs by a Player in His Final...
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Knee and Return
- Price Starting to Become Clutch Ace at Crucial Time
- David Ortiz Comments on Donald Trump
- Yoan Moncada to Be Recalled from Double-A Portland by Red Sox
- Moncada Could Provide Red Sox with Spark
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins
- Podcast Ep. #106: AJ No-Teller
- Weekly Notes: Benintendi & Moncada among award winners
- SoxProspects.com 2016 season-end award winners
- Groome highlights 2016 Fall Instructional League roster
- Moncada named Baseball America's Minor League Player of the Year
- Weekly Notes: Minor league season ends, Moncada struggles in Bigs
- Cup of Coffee: Salem's narrow loss ends season for whole system
- Podcast Ep. #105: MoncadainBoston
- Cup of Coffee: Devers helps keep Salem alive, Lowell eliminated