Source: Alfredo Aceves was no longer considered ‘reliable’ major league contributor, depth by Red Sox; serving as own agent
|07.15.13 at 1:51 pm ET|
NEW YORK — According to a team source, the impetus for Alfredo Aceves being taken off the Red Sox‘ 40-man roster was because the organization viewed him as neither a “reliable” major league contributor or major league depth.
The Sox outrighted Aceves to Triple-A Pawtucket Sunday. The righty cleared waivers, meaning all 29 clubs passed on the opportunity to claim him at no cost (except for his split contract), despite the fact that he has options remaining.
Two industry sources also confirmed that Aceves is no longer represented by agent Tom O’Connell, and is believed to be self-represented. (Aceves can receive assistance from from the Major League Baseball Players Association regarding any matter, if he chooses.)
Aceves last pitched for the Red Sox on July 9, giving up one hit over 2/3 innings of relief. With the Sox this season, the righty totaled a 4-1 mark with a 4.86 ERA. He made six starts, managing a 4.45 ERA in such a role.
The 30-year-old has made eight starts with the PawSox, going 4-2 with a 4.35 ERA.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- David Ortiz Discusses Retirement from Baseball, Time with Red Sox
- Jackie Bradley Jr. Is Now a Red Sox Star
- Big Papi Cementing His Legend with a Bang
- Ortiz Passes Banks, Mathews for 22nd Place on MLB's HR List
- Red Sox's High-Octane Offense Fueling Rise Back to Prominence
- Red Sox Score Double-Digit Runs for 4th Consecutive Game
- Red Sox 1st Team Since 1999 to Score 13+ Runs in 3 Straight
- Cup of Coffee: Rodriguez fires seven strong innings in rehab start
- Cup of Coffee: Raudes strikes out eight over six scoreless frames
- Weekly Notes: Rodriguez to start tomorrow for Pawtucket
- Cup of Coffee: Ball shines again for Salem
- The Write-Up: Eduardo Rodriguez
- Cup of Coffee: Kemp homers twice, Light hits 101
- Cup of Coffee: Moore comes through in the clutch for Salem
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada wins it in extras
- Cup of Coffee: Elias's career night powers Pawtucket
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi drives in two to boost Couch, Sea Dogs