John Henry says relationship with Terry Francona would be ‘difficult’ to salvage
|07.18.13 at 2:38 pm ET|
During his sit-down session with Mut & Merloni on Thursday afternoon, Red Sox owner John Henry discussed his strained relationship with former Sox manager Terry Francona and said it would be “difficult” for the two to mend fences.
Francona criticized Sox ownership — mainly Tom Werner and Larry Lucchino — in a book he wrote with Boston Globe columnist Dan Shaughnessy, and Francona also has expressed disappointment with the way he has been treated since he left after the 2011 season.
Asked if he has tried to reach out to Francona, Henry said he still has a bad taste in his mouth from his previous attempt, as Francona shared his bitterness about the situation with the media.
“I’m not sure I want to get back into the whole ‘attempt’ thing, because I had a long discussion with him about it, and as far as I’m concerned he mischaracterized that aspect,” Henry said. “To me, he wrote a book that really attacked Tom and Larry unfairly. So, how can we have much of a relationship at this point?”
Asked about the possibility of repairing their relationship, Henry added: “It may be difficult, because the things that were said, some of these things were so below the belt. Maybe you can blame Dan Shaughnessy for that. ‘¦ It’s about the book. There’s not much more to say about that.”
Henry insisted that ownership backed Francona during the tough times in Boston, and he commended Francona for his overall performance as Sox skipper.
“He had eight tremendous years and was tremendously supported, even after the collapse of September — which, we made it clear, we did not blame him for that collapse. But this is an argument you can’t win,” Henry said. “Really, what reason would I have to go on about this situation. He was the best manager we ever had. We had eight great years, great teams. He was a great manager. He was the best manager we’ve ever had. And I appreciate what he did. He suffered as much as any manager I’ve ever seen — even through the good times. He did everything he could to win for this organization.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- SoxProspects Staff Announcement: Promotions and new hires!
- Hanley Ramirez: A former top prospect returns
- Ryan Lavarnway designated for assignment as Sandoval signs
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Vazquez shines in Puerto Rico
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Xander Bogaerts
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Mookie Betts
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Christian Vazquez
- SoxProspects.com Podcast #67: Reserved at the Reserve List Deadline
- Swihart, Rodriguez, Coyle and Shaw added to 40-man roster
- Red Sox to decide who to protect from Rule 5 Draft on Thursday