John Henry says relationship with Terry Francona would be ‘difficult’ to salvage
|07.18.13 at 2:38 pm ET|
During his sit-down session with Mut & Merloni on Thursday afternoon, Red Sox owner John Henry discussed his strained relationship with former Sox manager Terry Francona and said it would be “difficult” for the two to mend fences.
Francona criticized Sox ownership — mainly Tom Werner and Larry Lucchino — in a book he wrote with Boston Globe columnist Dan Shaughnessy, and Francona also has expressed disappointment with the way he has been treated since he left after the 2011 season.
Asked if he has tried to reach out to Francona, Henry said he still has a bad taste in his mouth from his previous attempt, as Francona shared his bitterness about the situation with the media.
“I’m not sure I want to get back into the whole ‘attempt’ thing, because I had a long discussion with him about it, and as far as I’m concerned he mischaracterized that aspect,” Henry said. “To me, he wrote a book that really attacked Tom and Larry unfairly. So, how can we have much of a relationship at this point?”
Asked about the possibility of repairing their relationship, Henry added: “It may be difficult, because the things that were said, some of these things were so below the belt. Maybe you can blame Dan Shaughnessy for that. ‘¦ It’s about the book. There’s not much more to say about that.”
Henry insisted that ownership backed Francona during the tough times in Boston, and he commended Francona for his overall performance as Sox skipper.
“He had eight tremendous years and was tremendously supported, even after the collapse of September — which, we made it clear, we did not blame him for that collapse. But this is an argument you can’t win,” Henry said. “Really, what reason would I have to go on about this situation. He was the best manager we ever had. We had eight great years, great teams. He was a great manager. He was the best manager we’ve ever had. And I appreciate what he did. He suffered as much as any manager I’ve ever seen — even through the good times. He did everything he could to win for this organization.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Recovery from Knee...
- Complete Offseason Guide, Predictions for the Boston Red Sox
- John Farrell to Return as Red Sox Manager: Latest Contract Details,...
- Red Sox's Disappointing ALDS Sweep Ends Iconic David Ortiz Era on Down...
- Ramirez, Ortiz, Betts Each Record 30+ Home Runs, 100+ RBI
- Indians vs. Red Sox ALDS Game 3: Live Score and Highlights
- David Price Allowed 5 ER in 3.1 IP and Is Now 0-8 in Career Postseason...
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada shines in AFL
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Mauricio Dubon
- Podcast Ep. #107: Instructs 2016
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Three
- Weekly Notes: Scouting Instructs, Moncada reassigned to the minors
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins
- Podcast Ep. #106: AJ No-Teller