Dustin Pedroia: Long-term extension with Red Sox ‘would be great’
|07.19.13 at 10:52 pm ET|
Red Sox second baseman Dustin Pedroia said that he was leaving any talks about a long-term contract extension between his agent and the team that drafted him in 2004. Still, while the second baseman said that he had no hard information to offer about the state of negotiations on a possible extension, he made clear that such an outcome would be welcome.
“That’s great to think about. It’s hard to happen,” Pedroia said of staying in Boston for the long haul. “This is all I know. These guys are my family. Everybody. If it got to that point, it would be great.”
Still, he had no details to offer about a potential long-term deal. Pedroia, who went 1-for-4 and is hitting .316 with a .394 OBP this year, said that he did not want to get distracted from his job during contract talks.
“I just leave my agent and the Red Sox to deal with that. My job is to come in here, play baseball and try to help the Red Sox win games. I don’t have anything for you right now,” said Pedroia. “I’m just focused, they’ll tell me when something, I’m just focused on trying to help us win baseball games. That’s what I’m trying to do.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Updates on Red Sox Outfielder Chris Young Injury's
- Moncada Has a 'Following Everywhere We Go'
- AL ERA Leader Steven Wright Filling Red Sox's Need for Co-Ace
- Rusney Castillo Clears Waivers, Sent to Triple-A: Comments, Reaction
- Ted Williams 'Would Have Loved' Ortiz Hitting HR No. 521
- Prospect Profile for Red Sox's 1st-Round Pick Jason Groome
- Can Red Sox Make Real Run at 1,000 Runs in 2016?
- 2016 Annual Drive - Help Keep SoxProspects Free!
- Chris Marrero, Sean O'Sullivan selected to Int'l League All-Star Team
- Scouting Scratch: Josh Pennington, Darwinzon Hernandez and Gerson Bautista
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi celebrates Futures Game selection with four-hit night
- Moncada and Benintendi named to Futures Game
- Cup of Coffee: Wilkerson strikes out eight to make his case
- Podcast Ep. #100: Your regularly scheduled June programming
- Red Sox promote Miller, option Cuevas
- Weekly Notes: Promotions continue and scouting notes
- Cup of Coffee: Ball great again, Benintendi stays hot