Dustin Pedroia: Long-term extension with Red Sox ‘would be great’
|07.19.13 at 10:52 pm ET|
Red Sox second baseman Dustin Pedroia said that he was leaving any talks about a long-term contract extension between his agent and the team that drafted him in 2004. Still, while the second baseman said that he had no hard information to offer about the state of negotiations on a possible extension, he made clear that such an outcome would be welcome.
“That’s great to think about. It’s hard to happen,” Pedroia said of staying in Boston for the long haul. “This is all I know. These guys are my family. Everybody. If it got to that point, it would be great.”
Still, he had no details to offer about a potential long-term deal. Pedroia, who went 1-for-4 and is hitting .316 with a .394 OBP this year, said that he did not want to get distracted from his job during contract talks.
“I just leave my agent and the Red Sox to deal with that. My job is to come in here, play baseball and try to help the Red Sox win games. I don’t have anything for you right now,” said Pedroia. “I’m just focused, they’ll tell me when something, I’m just focused on trying to help us win baseball games. That’s what I’m trying to do.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Aaron Kurcz dealt to Atlanta for Anthony Varvaro
- Offseason Notes: Trades, signings, and awards
- Marco Hernandez received from Cubs to complete Doubront trade
- Podcast Ep. 69: Hot Stove on High
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo/Vazquez headline action in Puerto Rico
- Trade analysis: Scouting the players in the Wade Miley deal
- Sox acquire Zeke Spruill for Myles Smith in second D-Backs trade
- Justin Masterson: An unlikely All-Star reunites with the Red Sox
- Trade analysis: Scouting the prospects dealt for Porcello
- Astros select Jason Garcia in Rule 5 draft, trade him to Orioles