Red Sox sign Jose Contreras and Brandon Lyon to minor league deals
|07.19.13 at 4:19 pm ET|
With relievers falling by the wayside at an alarming rate, the Red Sox have made a move to build some depth in the organization by signing two veterans.
Both pitchers were immediately assigned to Triple-A Pawtucket.
This, of course, is a second go-around with the Red Sox.
Lyon made his major league debut halfway through the 2001 season, going 5-4 for the Blue Jays, with a 4.29 ERA from 11 starts. He was the second youngest winning pitcher in Blue Jays’ history after winning on debut (2’1 over Baltimore).
However, 2002 was a much different story. Lyon started the season as a starter, but lost three of his first four decisions of the season for the Jays, including a career-high seven earned runs against the Yankees on April 10, and again, against the Angels on May 3.
During the postseason, the Red Sox claimed Lyon off waivers. The Red Sox made Lyon a permanent reliever, and Lyon appeared in 49 games in 2003, converting nine saves in 12 opportunities with 50 strikeouts in 59 innings pitched. Lyon missed the entire 2004 season due to injury, after having been traded along with Casey Fossum, Michael Goss and Jorge de la Rosa to Arizona in exchange for Curt Schilling.
The 41-year-old Contreras, who made his name with the Cuban national team in the 1990s, was the target of former Red Sox manager Theo Epstein. But the Yankees beat out the Red Sox for his services when he began his MLB career in 2003 with New York. He pitched two seasons there before moving on to the Chicago White Sox (2004’09), the Colorado Rockies (2009) and the Philadelphia Phillies (2010’12).
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red-Hot Red Sox Emerging as Alpha Dog in AL
- David Ortiz Passes Dave Kingman for Most HRs by a Player in His Final...
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Knee and Return
- Price Starting to Become Clutch Ace at Crucial Time
- David Ortiz Comments on Donald Trump
- Yoan Moncada to Be Recalled from Double-A Portland by Red Sox
- Moncada Could Provide Red Sox with Spark
- Podcast Ep. #106: AJ No-Teller
- Weekly Notes: Benintendi & Moncada among award winners
- SoxProspects.com 2016 season-end award winners
- Groome highlights 2016 Fall Instructional League roster
- Moncada named Baseball America's Minor League Player of the Year
- Weekly Notes: Minor league season ends, Moncada struggles in Bigs
- Cup of Coffee: Salem's narrow loss ends season for whole system
- Podcast Ep. #105: MoncadainBoston
- Cup of Coffee: Devers helps keep Salem alive, Lowell eliminated
- Scouting Scratch: Jason Groome