Jon Lester pushed back to Tuesday, Ryan Dempster to start Sunday vs. Yankees
|07.20.13 at 1:54 pm ET|
Manager John Farrell, at the end of his Saturday pre-game briefing with reporters, announced that Lester would be pushed back from his scheduled Sunday night start to Tuesday night against the Rays. Ryan Dempster will start in Lester’s place on Sunday in the series finale against the Yankees.
Monday’s starter, originally slated to be Dempster, will be determined later, though Farrell hinted that depending on how the bullpen shakes out the next two days, it could be Brandon Workman, who started the final game before the All-Star break on July 14.
‘Just coming out of the break, just general wear and tear through the first half of the season, we have an opportunity right now to give him a couple of extra days out of the break that he could benefit from,” Farrell explained.
Farrell said Lester did not express any health concerns.
‘Not a concern, but when we came back in for a workout Thursday, and just going through the normal throwing program we’ve done the last couple of days, we just felt like two extra days will help him,” Farrell said.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Boston Red Sox: Final Predictions for Each Key Spring Position Battle
- Boston Red Sox: The 5 Most Disappointing Players in Spring Training So...
- David Price Likely to Start Season on DL as He Recovers from Arm Injury
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Players Who Are in Serious Danger of Being Cut or...
- David Price Reportedly Won't Need Elbow Surgery, Will Be Out 7-10 Days
- David Price's Elbow Could Make or Break Red Sox's World Series Dreams
- David Price Underwent MRI on Elbow Injury, Scratched from Spring Training...
- Fort Report: Another round of cuts as Opening Day nears
- Podcast Ep. #114: Straight Outta A-Ball
- Fort Report: New scouting reports, Meyers motivational WBC experience
- Ockimey making adjustments after second-half swoon
- Notes from the Field: Mata, Anderson, Dalbec, Hill and more from Day Three
- Meyers' big WBC moment now his motivation in camp
- Fort Report: Staff spends the weekend at camp
- Notes from the Field: Devers, Tobias, Garcia and more from Days One and Two
- Fort Report: Owens, Johnson highlight first round of cuts
- Podcast Ep. #113: It's Hard to Develop Baseball Players