Jon Lester pushed back to Tuesday, Ryan Dempster to start Sunday vs. Yankees
|07.20.13 at 1:54 pm ET|
Manager John Farrell, at the end of his Saturday pre-game briefing with reporters, announced that Lester would be pushed back from his scheduled Sunday night start to Tuesday night against the Rays. Ryan Dempster will start in Lester’s place on Sunday in the series finale against the Yankees.
Monday’s starter, originally slated to be Dempster, will be determined later, though Farrell hinted that depending on how the bullpen shakes out the next two days, it could be Brandon Workman, who started the final game before the All-Star break on July 14.
‘Just coming out of the break, just general wear and tear through the first half of the season, we have an opportunity right now to give him a couple of extra days out of the break that he could benefit from,” Farrell explained.
Farrell said Lester did not express any health concerns.
‘Not a concern, but when we came back in for a workout Thursday, and just going through the normal throwing program we’ve done the last couple of days, we just felt like two extra days will help him,” Farrell said.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Podcast Ep. 70: Moncada signs, Ben Badler talks, PawSox sold!
- PawSox sold to group including Lucchino; reports say move to Providence likely
- Fort Report: Top prospects prepare for biggest tests yet
- Report: Red Sox have agreement to sign Moncada for $31.5M
- Unveiling the updated SoxProspects scouting reports, stage one
- Owens, Johnson among eight invited to Red Sox spring training
- Chicago Cubs claim Drake Britton off waivers
- Offseason Notes: Red Sox continue to shape roster
- Drake Britton designated for assignment as Red Sox sign Ogando
- Trade Analysis: Scouting Anthony Ranaudo