Jon Lester pushed back to Tuesday, Ryan Dempster to start Sunday vs. Yankees
|07.20.13 at 1:54 pm ET|
Manager John Farrell, at the end of his Saturday pre-game briefing with reporters, announced that Lester would be pushed back from his scheduled Sunday night start to Tuesday night against the Rays. Ryan Dempster will start in Lester’s place on Sunday in the series finale against the Yankees.
Monday’s starter, originally slated to be Dempster, will be determined later, though Farrell hinted that depending on how the bullpen shakes out the next two days, it could be Brandon Workman, who started the final game before the All-Star break on July 14.
‘Just coming out of the break, just general wear and tear through the first half of the season, we have an opportunity right now to give him a couple of extra days out of the break that he could benefit from,” Farrell explained.
Farrell said Lester did not express any health concerns.
‘Not a concern, but when we came back in for a workout Thursday, and just going through the normal throwing program we’ve done the last couple of days, we just felt like two extra days will help him,” Farrell said.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Christian Vazquez
- SoxProspects.com Podcast #67: Reserved at the Reserve List Deadline
- Swihart, Rodriguez, Coyle and Shaw added to 40-man roster
- Red Sox to decide who to protect from Rule 5 Draft on Thursday
- Kukuk arrested, charged with aggravated robbery
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Allen Webster
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Brandon Workman
- Alex Hassan claimed off waivers by Oakland
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: AFL winds down, Vazquez makes debut
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Jackie Bradley, Jr.