Report: Red Sox doing ‘background work’ on Jake Peavy
|07.20.13 at 3:46 pm ET|
The 32-year-old right-hander is 6-4 with a 4.30 ERA in 11 starts this season with the White Sox.
The White Sox could be looking to unload Peavy’s hefty contract, paying him $14.5 million this season and again in 2014. Peavy has a $15 million player option for 2015 based on incentives.
Red Sox owner John Henry told WEEI’s “Mut & Merloni” Thursday that he would be willing to spend money at the trade deadline for the right player and if the team doesn’t forfeit too many prospects.
He posted an 11-12 record in 2012, with a 3.37 ERA in 32 starts, on his way to his third All-Star selection. Peavy won the National League Cy Young award with the Padres in 2007, going 19-6 with a 2.54 ERA in 34 starts.
Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe reported Friday that the Red Sox will watch Peavy closely over his next few starts while ESPN’s Buster Olney tweeted the Red Sox are ‘doing background work’ on the right-hander.
Red Sox are doing background work on Jake Peavy, who pitches against AT today. Arizona, SF, Colorado also in the discussions.
— Buster Olney (@Buster_ESPN) July 20, 2013
On Saturday, Peavy made his first start since June 4 after missing six weeks with a fractured rib.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Scouting Scratch: Yoan Moncada
- Owens reassigned to minors in latest roster cuts; Boggs released
- The Write-Up: More reports from Fort Myers
- Karsten Whitson close to his old self in Red Sox system
- 2015 Spring Training Reports
- With injury behind him, Longhi honing selective approach this spring
- Podcast Ep. 71: Spring Training Reports!
- Scouting Scratch: Trey Ball
- Fort Report: SoxProspects crew arrives in Fort Myers
- The Write-Up: More from the Fort