Report: Red Sox doing ‘background work’ on Jake Peavy
|07.20.13 at 3:46 pm ET|
The 32-year-old right-hander is 6-4 with a 4.30 ERA in 11 starts this season with the White Sox.
The White Sox could be looking to unload Peavy’s hefty contract, paying him $14.5 million this season and again in 2014. Peavy has a $15 million player option for 2015 based on incentives.
Red Sox owner John Henry told WEEI’s “Mut & Merloni” Thursday that he would be willing to spend money at the trade deadline for the right player and if the team doesn’t forfeit too many prospects.
He posted an 11-12 record in 2012, with a 3.37 ERA in 32 starts, on his way to his third All-Star selection. Peavy won the National League Cy Young award with the Padres in 2007, going 19-6 with a 2.54 ERA in 34 starts.
Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe reported Friday that the Red Sox will watch Peavy closely over his next few starts while ESPN’s Buster Olney tweeted the Red Sox are ‘doing background work’ on the right-hander.
Red Sox are doing background work on Jake Peavy, who pitches against AT today. Arizona, SF, Colorado also in the discussions.
— Buster Olney (@Buster_ESPN) July 20, 2013
On Saturday, Peavy made his first start since June 4 after missing six weeks with a fractured rib.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- MLB Reportedly 'Looking Into' Ortiz's Comments for Tampering
- Red Sox Pay Heavy, but Necessary Price to Go for It with Pomeranz
- Moncada Primed to Make Phenom-Loaded Red Sox Even Richer
- Craig Kimbrel Injury Updates on Recovery from Knee Surgery
- Latest on Brad Ziegler to Red Sox
- Brewers Trade INF Aaron Hill to Red Sox
- Bradley, Betts, and Bogaerts Give MLB a New-Age 'Killer B's'
- Cup of Coffee: Portland mashes, Johnson headlines strong night of pitching
- Cup of Coffee: Chatham comes up clutch, Downs lifts Lowell
- Scouting Scratch: Henry Owens
- Cup of Coffee: Chris Marrero, pitching help PawSox clip Red Wings
- Cup of Coffee: Sermo homers three times; Basabe keeps streaking
- Scouting Scratch: Luis Alexander Basabe and Michael Chavis
- Cup of Coffee: Procyshen homers, Benintendi triples in victories
- Podcast Ep. #103: Yes Devers loves me, the homers tell me so
- Weekly notes: Benintendi moves to left field
- Cup of Coffee: Dubon collects four hits, Kemp blasts two homers