Report: Red Sox doing ‘background work’ on Jake Peavy
|07.20.13 at 3:46 pm ET|
The 32-year-old right-hander is 6-4 with a 4.30 ERA in 11 starts this season with the White Sox.
The White Sox could be looking to unload Peavy’s hefty contract, paying him $14.5 million this season and again in 2014. Peavy has a $15 million player option for 2015 based on incentives.
Red Sox owner John Henry told WEEI’s “Mut & Merloni” Thursday that he would be willing to spend money at the trade deadline for the right player and if the team doesn’t forfeit too many prospects.
He posted an 11-12 record in 2012, with a 3.37 ERA in 32 starts, on his way to his third All-Star selection. Peavy won the National League Cy Young award with the Padres in 2007, going 19-6 with a 2.54 ERA in 34 starts.
Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe reported Friday that the Red Sox will watch Peavy closely over his next few starts while ESPN’s Buster Olney tweeted the Red Sox are ‘doing background work’ on the right-hander.
Red Sox are doing background work on Jake Peavy, who pitches against AT today. Arizona, SF, Colorado also in the discussions.
— Buster Olney (@Buster_ESPN) July 20, 2013
On Saturday, Peavy made his first start since June 4 after missing six weeks with a fractured rib.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- How Concerned Should Red Sox Be over Price's Roller-Coaster 2016?
- Latest Updates on Chris Young's Hamstring Injury
- Moncada Has a 'Following Everywhere We Go'
- AL ERA Leader Steven Wright Filling Red Sox's Need for Co-Ace
- Rusney Castillo Clears Waivers, Sent to Triple-A: Comments, Reaction
- Ted Williams 'Would Have Loved' Ortiz Hitting HR No. 521
- Prospect Profile for Red Sox's 1st-Round Pick Jason Groome
- 2016 Annual Drive - Help Keep SoxProspects Free!
- Cup of Coffee: Castillo powers PawSox
- Chris Marrero, Sean O'Sullivan selected to Int'l League All-Star Team
- Scouting Scratch: Josh Pennington, Darwinzon Hernandez and Gerson Bautista
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi celebrates Futures Game selection with four-hit night
- Moncada and Benintendi named to Futures Game
- Cup of Coffee: Wilkerson strikes out eight to make his case
- Podcast Ep. #100: Your regularly scheduled June programming
- Red Sox promote Miller, option Cuevas
- Weekly Notes: Promotions continue and scouting notes