Report: Red Sox doing ‘background work’ on Jake Peavy
|07.20.13 at 3:46 pm ET|
The 32-year-old right-hander is 6-4 with a 4.30 ERA in 11 starts this season with the White Sox.
The White Sox could be looking to unload Peavy’s hefty contract, paying him $14.5 million this season and again in 2014. Peavy has a $15 million player option for 2015 based on incentives.
Red Sox owner John Henry told WEEI’s “Mut & Merloni” Thursday that he would be willing to spend money at the trade deadline for the right player and if the team doesn’t forfeit too many prospects.
He posted an 11-12 record in 2012, with a 3.37 ERA in 32 starts, on his way to his third All-Star selection. Peavy won the National League Cy Young award with the Padres in 2007, going 19-6 with a 2.54 ERA in 34 starts.
Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe reported Friday that the Red Sox will watch Peavy closely over his next few starts while ESPN’s Buster Olney tweeted the Red Sox are ‘doing background work’ on the right-hander.
Red Sox are doing background work on Jake Peavy, who pitches against AT today. Arizona, SF, Colorado also in the discussions.
— Buster Olney (@Buster_ESPN) July 20, 2013
On Saturday, Peavy made his first start since June 4 after missing six weeks with a fractured rib.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red-Hot Red Sox Emerging as Alpha Dog in AL
- David Ortiz Passes Dave Kingman for Most HRs by a Player in His Final...
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Knee and Return
- Price Starting to Become Clutch Ace at Crucial Time
- David Ortiz Comments on Donald Trump
- Yoan Moncada to Be Recalled from Double-A Portland by Red Sox
- Moncada Could Provide Red Sox with Spark
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins
- Podcast Ep. #106: AJ No-Teller
- Weekly Notes: Benintendi & Moncada among award winners
- SoxProspects.com 2016 season-end award winners
- Groome highlights 2016 Fall Instructional League roster
- Moncada named Baseball America's Minor League Player of the Year
- Weekly Notes: Minor league season ends, Moncada struggles in Bigs