Andrew Bailey to have shoulder surgery, season done
|07.21.13 at 5:49 pm ET|
As he indicated on Friday when he spoke to reporters about his ailing right shoulder, Andrew Bailey will require surgery to fully fix the injury.
On Sunday, the Red Sox announced that the former closer will have surgery in New York on Wednesday and his season is over.
Renown orthopedic surgeon David Altchek will perform the surgery in New York.
“I think until the procedure is done, it’s just speculation at this point [about his timeline] but we’ll get a full report after Wednesday,” Red Sox manager John Farrell said before Sunday’s series finale with the Yankees.
“There were no guarantees [that] he would able to get back to the mound to a normal level through a conservative path. As Andrew weighed all the information that he got from the multiple doctors seen, it was pretty clear cut. The decision was pretty much made for him.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez meet in PR finals
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Leon debuts, Elias strikes out seven
- SoxProspects.com's Top Posts of 2016
- December Notes: Sox deal key prospects for Sale, Thornburg
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Rodriguez tweaks knee, Castillo rakes
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Ramirez debuts, Vazquez homers
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Abad debuts, Hernandez goes deep again
- Scouting Updates: Mata leads group of DSL player page updates
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Eduardo Rodriguez debuts in Venezuela
- Trade Analysis: Scouting the prospects dealt for Tyler Thornburg