Andrew Bailey to have shoulder surgery, season done
|07.21.13 at 5:49 pm ET|
As he indicated on Friday when he spoke to reporters about his ailing right shoulder, Andrew Bailey will require surgery to fully fix the injury.
On Sunday, the Red Sox announced that the former closer will have surgery in New York on Wednesday and his season is over.
Renown orthopedic surgeon David Altchek will perform the surgery in New York.
“I think until the procedure is done, it’s just speculation at this point [about his timeline] but we’ll get a full report after Wednesday,” Red Sox manager John Farrell said before Sunday’s series finale with the Yankees.
“There were no guarantees [that] he would able to get back to the mound to a normal level through a conservative path. As Andrew weighed all the information that he got from the multiple doctors seen, it was pretty clear cut. The decision was pretty much made for him.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Rivero, Castillo make early impressions
- Top 40 Season in Review: Noe Ramirez and Luis Diaz
- Top 40 Season in Review: Bryce Brentz and Christopher Acosta
- Top 40 Season in Review: Justin Haley and Jake Cosart
- Top 40 Season in Review: Drake Britton and Dalier Hinojosa
- Top 40 Season in Review: Cody Kukuk and Jamie Callahan
- Top 40 Season in Review: Dan Butler and Mauricio Dubon
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Coyle impress early
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Three
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two