Andrew Bailey to have shoulder surgery, season done
|07.21.13 at 5:49 pm ET|
As he indicated on Friday when he spoke to reporters about his ailing right shoulder, Andrew Bailey will require surgery to fully fix the injury.
On Sunday, the Red Sox announced that the former closer will have surgery in New York on Wednesday and his season is over.
Renown orthopedic surgeon David Altchek will perform the surgery in New York.
“I think until the procedure is done, it’s just speculation at this point [about his timeline] but we’ll get a full report after Wednesday,” Red Sox manager John Farrell said before Sunday’s series finale with the Yankees.
“There were no guarantees [that] he would able to get back to the mound to a normal level through a conservative path. As Andrew weighed all the information that he got from the multiple doctors seen, it was pretty clear cut. The decision was pretty much made for him.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Betts Has Real Chance of Crashing AL MVP Party
- MLB Betting Preview: Red Sox vs. Orioles Odds, Analysis
- David Ortiz Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Foot
- Can Benintendi Be Pennant Race Difference-Maker?
- Updates on Red Sox Star Hanley Ramirez's Injury
- Andrew Benintendi Recalled from Double-a
- Fernando Abad to Red Sox
- Weekly Notes: Moncada, Devers, Tavarez nab postseason awards
- Cup of Coffee: Salem walks off, Downs homers
- Cup of Coffee: Groome impresses while Johnson falters
- Cup of Coffee: Dubon collects five hits, Chatham belts two homers
- Cup of Coffee: Dubon comes up clutch, Dalbec stays hot for Lowell
- Scouting Scratch: Mike Shawaryn and Shaun Anderson
- Cup of Coffee: LaMarre powers Pawtucket, Kopech whiffs 10
- After draft slide, Shawaryn regaining peak form in Lowell
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada shows off power and defense as he eyes the big leagues
- 2014 First-rounder Michael Chavis promoted to High A Salem