Andrew Bailey to have shoulder surgery, season done
|07.21.13 at 5:49 pm ET|
As he indicated on Friday when he spoke to reporters about his ailing right shoulder, Andrew Bailey will require surgery to fully fix the injury.
On Sunday, the Red Sox announced that the former closer will have surgery in New York on Wednesday and his season is over.
Renown orthopedic surgeon David Altchek will perform the surgery in New York.
“I think until the procedure is done, it’s just speculation at this point [about his timeline] but we’ll get a full report after Wednesday,” Red Sox manager John Farrell said before Sunday’s series finale with the Yankees.
“There were no guarantees [that] he would able to get back to the mound to a normal level through a conservative path. As Andrew weighed all the information that he got from the multiple doctors seen, it was pretty clear cut. The decision was pretty much made for him.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Weekly Notes: Johnson makes Major League debut
- Cup of Coffee: Big offensive performances from Pawtucket, Greenville and Portland
- Cup of Coffee: Cuevas, Travis highlight tight Portland victory
- Cup of Coffee: Tejeda's big night pushes Portland past Fisher Cats
- 2015 Draft Recap: Benintendi a best-case scenario
- Podcast Ep. 81: Dropping in on the Drive, Darren Fenster interview
- Cup of Coffee: Owens solid again, Portland stages comeback
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi, Heller, bullpens highlight day for system
- Cup of Coffee: Aybar, Espinoza lead the GCL Red Sox
- Cup of Coffee: Another two-homer game for Bradley as PawSox fall