Andrew Bailey to have shoulder surgery, season done
|07.21.13 at 5:49 pm ET|
As he indicated on Friday when he spoke to reporters about his ailing right shoulder, Andrew Bailey will require surgery to fully fix the injury.
On Sunday, the Red Sox announced that the former closer will have surgery in New York on Wednesday and his season is over.
Renown orthopedic surgeon David Altchek will perform the surgery in New York.
“I think until the procedure is done, it’s just speculation at this point [about his timeline] but we’ll get a full report after Wednesday,” Red Sox manager John Farrell said before Sunday’s series finale with the Yankees.
“There were no guarantees [that] he would able to get back to the mound to a normal level through a conservative path. As Andrew weighed all the information that he got from the multiple doctors seen, it was pretty clear cut. The decision was pretty much made for him.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Cup of Coffee: Rijo powers Salem, Lowell's hopes dashed in heartbreaking loss
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi walk-off bomb keeps Drive in hunt
- Updated: Espinoza to Greenville, Allen to Lowell highlight GCL promotions
- Scouting Scratch: Javier Guerra, Michael Chavis, Nick Longhi
- Cup of Coffee: GCL Red Sox capture second straight league title
- Notes from the Field: Spruill, Marrero, Hernandez in Allentown
- Cup of Coffee: Reign delay for the GCL Red Sox
- Sam Travis highlights six announced for Arizona Fall League
- Moncada's big year nets him multiple South Atlantic League honors
- Cup of Coffee: Perez leads GCL Sox to walk-off win in finals opener