Andrew Bailey to have shoulder surgery, season done
|07.21.13 at 5:49 pm ET|
As he indicated on Friday when he spoke to reporters about his ailing right shoulder, Andrew Bailey will require surgery to fully fix the injury.
On Sunday, the Red Sox announced that the former closer will have surgery in New York on Wednesday and his season is over.
Renown orthopedic surgeon David Altchek will perform the surgery in New York.
“I think until the procedure is done, it’s just speculation at this point [about his timeline] but we’ll get a full report after Wednesday,” Red Sox manager John Farrell said before Sunday’s series finale with the Yankees.
“There were no guarantees [that] he would able to get back to the mound to a normal level through a conservative path. As Andrew weighed all the information that he got from the multiple doctors seen, it was pretty clear cut. The decision was pretty much made for him.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Help Wanted: Database Coordinator
- January Notes: Red Sox extend contract with Greenville
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Champions crowned as play concludes
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Championship series underway
- 2015 Graduates in Review: Blake Swihart
- Help Wanted: Writers, Editors
- Red Sox bring back Dan Butler on minor league deal
- 2015 Graduates in Review: Eduardo Rodriguez
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Ramos and Castillo combine for 16 hits
- 2015 Graduates in Review: Henry Owens