Andrew Bailey to have shoulder surgery, season done
|07.21.13 at 5:49 pm ET|
As he indicated on Friday when he spoke to reporters about his ailing right shoulder, Andrew Bailey will require surgery to fully fix the injury.
On Sunday, the Red Sox announced that the former closer will have surgery in New York on Wednesday and his season is over.
Renown orthopedic surgeon David Altchek will perform the surgery in New York.
“I think until the procedure is done, it’s just speculation at this point [about his timeline] but we’ll get a full report after Wednesday,” Red Sox manager John Farrell said before Sunday’s series finale with the Yankees.
“There were no guarantees [that] he would able to get back to the mound to a normal level through a conservative path. As Andrew weighed all the information that he got from the multiple doctors seen, it was pretty clear cut. The decision was pretty much made for him.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Cup of Coffee: Speier helps GCL Sox clinch division title
- Marrero and Coyle headed to Arizona Fall League
- Cup of Coffee: Chavis rips first career home run in GCL Sox win
- Weekly Notes: Battle for CF heats up with new addition
- Cup of Coffee: Asuaje leads the way, Wilkerson keeps rolling
- Cup of Coffee: Johnson dominates NH, Coyle hits 14th
- Cup of Coffee: Keith Couch strong for Portland; Salem walk off
- Reports: Red Sox sign Cuban OF Rusney Castillo
- Cup of Coffee: Miller homer lifts Portland following Rodriguez gem
- Barnes continues resurgence behind explosive fastball, strong curve