Clay Buchholz to seek ‘peace of mind’ in visit with Dr. James Andrews on Monday
|07.21.13 at 6:42 pm ET|
Clay Buchholz will travel to Pensacola, Fla., for an appointment with renowned surgeon Dr. James Andrews Monday in an effort to give him ‘peace of mind’ about the health of his neck and shoulder, according to Red Sox manager John Farrell.
Andrews has already taken a look at MRI images of Buchholz’s shoulder, but will get a chance to evaluate him in person Monday.
“As I’ve said many times, [Buchholz] is extremely frustrated with it. As it seemed like he was turning the corner on the trip when we went through Seattle and the throwing that he was doing, it hasn’t,” Farrell said. “So more than anything, to get some verification and clarification through Dr. Andrews to put his mind at ease is as important as anything that he’s dealing with from a physical standpoint.”
Buchholz (9-0, 1.71 ERA) has had no trouble throwing long toss on flat ground, according to Farrell. However, the discomfort returns when he tries pitching from the mound. Buchholz has been told by team physicians that he’s not at risk of worsening the condition by pitching. The Sox are hoping that Andrews can confirm that outlook so that Buchholz can move forward in a rehab that has been traveling sideways for some time.
‘When he has gotten on the mound, there has been some freedom in some of those bullpens,’ Farrell said. ‘It has been repetitive and cumulative throwing where he has felt some of the discomfort start to return, and that is when he stopped. If it can be confirmed that he is not going to put himself at further risk, then OK. Let’s continue on.
“[The visit is] to confirm what the findings have been to date and more than anything for Clay to have that peace of mind,” added Farrell.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- MLB Reportedly 'Looking Into' Ortiz's Comments for Tampering
- Red Sox Pay Heavy, but Necessary Price to Go for It with Pomeranz
- Moncada Primed to Make Phenom-Loaded Red Sox Even Richer
- Craig Kimbrel Injury Updates on Recovery from Knee Surgery
- Latest on Brad Ziegler to Red Sox
- Brewers Trade INF Aaron Hill to Red Sox
- Bradley, Betts, and Bogaerts Give MLB a New-Age 'Killer B's'
- Cup of Coffee: Chatham comes up clutch, Downs lifts Lowell
- Scouting Scratch: Henry Owens
- Cup of Coffee: Chris Marrero, pitching help PawSox clip Red Wings
- Cup of Coffee: Sermo homers three times; Basabe keeps streaking
- Scouting Scratch: Luis Alexander Basabe and Michael Chavis
- Cup of Coffee: Procyshen homers, Benintendi triples in victories
- Podcast Ep. #103: Yes Devers loves me, the homers tell me so
- Weekly notes: Benintendi moves to left field
- Cup of Coffee: Dubon collects four hits, Kemp blasts two homers
- Cup of Coffee: Marrero and Devers homer, Dalbec debuts