Jon Lester: Physical status ‘nothing to worry about’
|07.21.13 at 8:33 am ET|
Red Sox left-hander Jon Lester has been pushed back in his first start of the second half, getting scratched from his scheduled outing on Sunday against the Yankees in favor of a Tuesday start against the Rays. It would be easy to suggest that a delay should set off alarm bells, but Lester saw it differently.
Friday, when asked about his physical status heading into the season’s second half, Lester told WEEI.com, ‘Nobody’s feeling great. But nothing to worry about.’
Manager John Farrell likewise suggested that there was no injury in play, but instead a desire to give his Opening Day starter — who has thrown the sixth-most pitches in the major leagues this season (2,135) while totaling a team-high 125 2/3 innings — an extra breather.
‘Just coming out of the break, just general wear and tear through the first half of the season,’ said Farrell. ‘We have an opportunity to give [Lester] a couple of extra days coming out of the break and two, he’ll benefit from it.”
For more from Lester on his status entering the second half after posting a 4.58 ERA prior to the All-Star break, click here.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Updates on Red Sox Outfielder Chris Young Injury's
- Moncada Has a 'Following Everywhere We Go'
- AL ERA Leader Steven Wright Filling Red Sox's Need for Co-Ace
- Rusney Castillo Clears Waivers, Sent to Triple-A: Comments, Reaction
- Ted Williams 'Would Have Loved' Ortiz Hitting HR No. 521
- Prospect Profile for Red Sox's 1st-Round Pick Jason Groome
- Can Red Sox Make Real Run at 1,000 Runs in 2016?
- 2016 Annual Drive - Help Keep SoxProspects Free!
- Chris Marrero, Sean O'Sullivan selected to Int'l League All-Star Team
- Scouting Scratch: Josh Pennington, Darwinzon Hernandez and Gerson Bautista
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi celebrates Futures Game selection with four-hit night
- Moncada and Benintendi named to Futures Game
- Cup of Coffee: Wilkerson strikes out eight to make his case
- Podcast Ep. #100: Your regularly scheduled June programming
- Red Sox promote Miller, option Cuevas
- Weekly Notes: Promotions continue and scouting notes
- Cup of Coffee: Ball great again, Benintendi stays hot