Jon Lester: Physical status ‘nothing to worry about’
|07.21.13 at 8:33 am ET|
Red Sox left-hander Jon Lester has been pushed back in his first start of the second half, getting scratched from his scheduled outing on Sunday against the Yankees in favor of a Tuesday start against the Rays. It would be easy to suggest that a delay should set off alarm bells, but Lester saw it differently.
Friday, when asked about his physical status heading into the season’s second half, Lester told WEEI.com, ‘Nobody’s feeling great. But nothing to worry about.’
Manager John Farrell likewise suggested that there was no injury in play, but instead a desire to give his Opening Day starter — who has thrown the sixth-most pitches in the major leagues this season (2,135) while totaling a team-high 125 2/3 innings — an extra breather.
‘Just coming out of the break, just general wear and tear through the first half of the season,’ said Farrell. ‘We have an opportunity to give [Lester] a couple of extra days coming out of the break and two, he’ll benefit from it.”
For more from Lester on his status entering the second half after posting a 4.58 ERA prior to the All-Star break, click here.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- MLB Reportedly 'Looking Into' Ortiz's Comments for Tampering
- Red Sox Pay Heavy, but Necessary Price to Go for It with Pomeranz
- Moncada Primed to Make Phenom-Loaded Red Sox Even Richer
- Craig Kimbrel Injury Updates on Recovery from Knee Surgery
- Latest on Brad Ziegler to Red Sox
- Brewers Trade INF Aaron Hill to Red Sox
- Bradley, Betts, and Bogaerts Give MLB a New-Age 'Killer B's'
- Scouting Scratch: Henry Owens
- Cup of Coffee: Chris Marrero, pitching help PawSox clip Red Wings
- Cup of Coffee: Sermo homers three times; Basabe keeps streaking
- Scouting Scratch: Luis Alexander Basabe and Michael Chavis
- Cup of Coffee: Procyshen homers, Benintendi triples in victories
- Podcast Ep. #103: Yes Devers loves me, the homers tell me so
- Weekly notes: Benintendi moves to left field
- Cup of Coffee: Dubon collects four hits, Kemp blasts two homers
- Cup of Coffee: Marrero and Devers homer, Dalbec debuts
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi debuts in left, Basabe stays hot