Jon Lester: Physical status ‘nothing to worry about’
|07.21.13 at 8:33 am ET|
Red Sox left-hander Jon Lester has been pushed back in his first start of the second half, getting scratched from his scheduled outing on Sunday against the Yankees in favor of a Tuesday start against the Rays. It would be easy to suggest that a delay should set off alarm bells, but Lester saw it differently.
Friday, when asked about his physical status heading into the season’s second half, Lester told WEEI.com, ‘Nobody’s feeling great. But nothing to worry about.’
Manager John Farrell likewise suggested that there was no injury in play, but instead a desire to give his Opening Day starter — who has thrown the sixth-most pitches in the major leagues this season (2,135) while totaling a team-high 125 2/3 innings — an extra breather.
‘Just coming out of the break, just general wear and tear through the first half of the season,’ said Farrell. ‘We have an opportunity to give [Lester] a couple of extra days coming out of the break and two, he’ll benefit from it.”
For more from Lester on his status entering the second half after posting a 4.58 ERA prior to the All-Star break, click here.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Cup of Coffee: Moore, Miller provide heroics as Drive win in 14
- Cup of Coffee: Rodriguez tosses complete game, Kopech stymies Asheville
- Cup of Coffee: McCarthy pitches Portland past Thunder
- Cup of Coffee: Gunkel perfect in relief, Miller walks off for Greenville
- Cup of Coffee: Dahlstrand cruises again in Salem's win
- Cup of Coffee: Johnson tosses complete game shutout
- Cup of Coffee: Chavis homers in 10th inning to lead Drive
- Weekly Notes: Blake Swihart's hot start; Rusney Castillo on the mend
- Cup of Coffee: Cuevas struggles with command, Barnes bounces back
- Cup of Coffee: Swihart leads PawSox hit parade, Rodriguez earns first win