Jon Lester: Physical status ‘nothing to worry about’
|07.21.13 at 8:33 am ET|
Red Sox left-hander Jon Lester has been pushed back in his first start of the second half, getting scratched from his scheduled outing on Sunday against the Yankees in favor of a Tuesday start against the Rays. It would be easy to suggest that a delay should set off alarm bells, but Lester saw it differently.
Friday, when asked about his physical status heading into the season’s second half, Lester told WEEI.com, ‘Nobody’s feeling great. But nothing to worry about.’
Manager John Farrell likewise suggested that there was no injury in play, but instead a desire to give his Opening Day starter — who has thrown the sixth-most pitches in the major leagues this season (2,135) while totaling a team-high 125 2/3 innings — an extra breather.
‘Just coming out of the break, just general wear and tear through the first half of the season,’ said Farrell. ‘We have an opportunity to give [Lester] a couple of extra days coming out of the break and two, he’ll benefit from it.”
For more from Lester on his status entering the second half after posting a 4.58 ERA prior to the All-Star break, click here.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Fort Report: Moncada Madness
- Podcast Ep. 70: Moncada signs, Ben Badler talks, PawSox sold!
- PawSox sold to group including Lucchino; reports say move to Providence likely
- Fort Report: Top prospects prepare for biggest tests yet
- Report: Red Sox have agreement to sign Moncada for $31.5M
- Unveiling the updated SoxProspects scouting reports, stage one
- Owens, Johnson among eight invited to Red Sox spring training
- Chicago Cubs claim Drake Britton off waivers
- Offseason Notes: Red Sox continue to shape roster
- Drake Britton designated for assignment as Red Sox sign Ogando