Sunday’s Red Sox-Yankees matchups: Ryan Dempster vs. CC Sabathia
|07.21.13 at 7:58 am ET|
Dempster (5-8, 4.24 ERA) is coming off his shortest start since May 23, as he allowed seven runs (four earned) on nine hits through 3 1/3 innings in Seattle. However, rookie Steven Wright held the Mariners scoreless over the next 5 2/3 innings and helped the Red Sox pull out an 8-7 win in 10 innings.
Dempster’s last outing was an outlier in what has been a relatively good stretch for him. The right-hander had not allowed more than three runs in any of his previous eight starts, posting a 3.33 ERA with a .255 opponents batting average during that stretch.
Dempster has not had much success against the Yankees in his career, as he is 0-5 with a 7.29 ERA. The last time he faced the Yankees was his first game in a Red Sox uniform, when he allowed three runs on five hits and four walks through five innings.
Sabathia (9-8, 4.07 ERA) remains one of the best pitchers in the league in terms of pitching deep into games. The 32-year-old lefty has two complete games this year and has lasted seven or more innings in 13 of his 20 starts.
However, he did not get a chance to show off his stamina in his last start, when he allowed eight runs (three earned) on eight hits through four innings in a 10-4 loss to the Twins. The performance matched his season low for innings pitched, which he set on May 9 after leaving the start following a rain delay that lasted more than two hours.
Sabathia has been very successful against David Ortiz, holding him to a .212 batting average while striking him out 15 times in 56 plate appearances.
Yankees vs. Dempster (RHP)
Lyle Overbay (15 plate appearances): .333 BA/.600 OBP/.556 SLG, 2 doubles, 4 RBIs, 6 walks, 4 strikeouts
Ichiro Suzuki (10): .286/.444/.571, 1 triple, 2 walks, 2 strikeouts
Robinson Cano (9): .167/.444/.333, 1 double, 1 RBI, 3 walks, 2 strikeouts
Vernon Wells (9): .333/.333/.333, 2 strikeouts
Brett Gardner (7): .333/.429/.833, 1 home run, 1 RBI, 1 walk, 2 strikeouts
Luis Cruz (5): .000/.000/.000
Eduardo Nunez (5): .400/.400/.600, 1 double, 1 strikeout
Travis Hafner (4): .250/.250/.250, 2 strikeouts
Brent Lillibridge (3): .000/.000/.000, 2 strikeouts
Chris Stewart (3): .000/.000/.000
Alberto Gonzalez (1): .000/.000/.000, 1 strikeout
Zolio Almonte and Austin Romine have not faced Dempster.
Red Sox vs. Sabathia (LHP)
David Ortiz (56 plate appearances): .212 BA/.268 OBP/.346 SLG, 2 home runs, 1 double, 4 RBIs, 3 walks, 15 strikeouts
Dustin Pedroia (48): .302/.375/.372, 3 doubles, 2 RBIs, 4 walks, 13 strikeouts
Jacoby Ellsbury (35): .226/.286/.355, 1 home run, 2 doubles, 7 RBIs, 1 walk, 9 strikeouts
Jonny Gomes (35): .207/.343/.241, 1 double, 2 RBIs, 4 walks, 9 strikeouts
Mike Napoli (28): .208/.321/.417, 1 home run, 2 doubles, 5 RBIs, 3 walks, 6 strikeouts
Jarrod Saltalamacchia (19): .250/.316/.375, 2 doubles, 1 RBI, 2 walks, 8 strikeouts
Shane Victorino (14): .286/.286/.286, 3 RBIs, 3 strikeouts
Daniel Nava (10): .200/.200/.500, 1 home run, 1 RBI, 4 strikeouts
Jose Iglesias (8): .500/.500/.500, 1 RBI
Mike Carp (6): .000/.167/.000, 1 walk
Brandon Snyder (6): .167/.167/.333, 1 double, 3 strikeouts
Stephen Drew (6): .333/.333/.333, 2 strikeouts
Ryan Lavarnway (3): .000/.000/.000
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Trade Analysis: Scouting Anthony Ranaudo
- Red Sox deal Anthony Ranaudo to Rangers for Robbie Ross Jr.
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Perth heads to the playoffs
- Rookie Dev Program notes: Ramos healthy, Swihart looks back
- Mookie Betts is prepared for whatever 2015 may bring
- Brian Johnson prepared to follow up stellar 2014 campaign
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Weeks helps Mayaguez advance to finals
- Rookie Development Program easing transition for young players
- Offseason Notes: Veterans Bianchi, Boggs highlight minor league signings
- Red Sox acquire Danny Rosenbaum from Nationals for Dan Butler