Dr. James Andrews agrees with original diagnosis of Clay Buchholz injury
|07.22.13 at 6:51 pm ET|
Clay Buchholz‘s visit to Dr. James Andrews revealed nothing new ‘ which is good news for Buchholz. Andrews agreed with the Red Sox original diagnosis ‘ that Buchholz only has inflammation in his shoulder and neck area, according to Red Sox manager John Farrell.
‘From my understanding of it, the exam that Dr. Andrews relayed to him is that he is going to feel at times a little stiffness or discomfort just by virtue of getting back in pitching shape,’ Farrell said. ‘He felt as he revs back up, he is going to experience some of those, but the root of it is not because of the injury or with reconditioning, getting the throwing arm back in shape.’
Buchholz’s return will not be immediate, as Farrell said he expects him to continue the originally planned pitching program. He will likely go through another three bullpen sessions before throwing in simulated game situations. Farrell did not give a date to which he expects the 28-year-old to return.
If anything, Andrews’ diagnosis will help Buchholz understand what he will be pitching through as he tries to make his comeback. According to Farrell, Buchholz is unlikely to make his injury worse by pitching through the expected discomfort.
‘I think that assurance that the discomfort he is feeling is not injury related ‘ it is more about getting back into game shape ‘ I would think that there would be more readiness on his part to go through that,’ Farrell said.
Even with the Red Sox getting good news in terms of Buchholz’s injury, the diagnosis is not expected to have an effect on the Red Sox approach to the trade deadline, according to WEEI.com’s Rob Bradford.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Updates on Xander Bogaerts' Wrist and Return
- Latest Updates on Joe Kelly's Injury
- Even Price Can't Stop Red Sox Rotation Giving Bad Feeling of Deja Vu
- Sandoval's Ex-Trainer Says He Has Eating Problem
- Ortiz Closing in on Top 25 in Career Home Runs
- Updates on Red Sox Star Pablo Sandoval's Injury
- Ortiz Looks Determined to Go out with a Bang
- Cup of Coffee: E-Rod rehabs, Ball debuts, Benintendi big again
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi powers Salem past Frederick
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Michael Chavis
- Cup of Coffee: Kyri Washington rips pair of doubles in Greenville loss
- Cup of Coffee: Cuevas, Swihart lead Pawtucket on a light night
- Michael Chavis placed on disabled list with torn thumb ligament (UPDATE: report rescinded)
- Weekly Notes: Light, Cuevas get first-time call-up
- Cup of Coffee: Lakins shoves, Drive bats come alive
- Red Sox recall Light and Owens for Sunday night tilt
- Cup of Coffee: Longhi stands out as affiliates are swept