Dr. James Andrews agrees with original diagnosis of Clay Buchholz injury
|07.22.13 at 6:51 pm ET|
Clay Buchholz‘s visit to Dr. James Andrews revealed nothing new ‘ which is good news for Buchholz. Andrews agreed with the Red Sox original diagnosis ‘ that Buchholz only has inflammation in his shoulder and neck area, according to Red Sox manager John Farrell.
‘From my understanding of it, the exam that Dr. Andrews relayed to him is that he is going to feel at times a little stiffness or discomfort just by virtue of getting back in pitching shape,’ Farrell said. ‘He felt as he revs back up, he is going to experience some of those, but the root of it is not because of the injury or with reconditioning, getting the throwing arm back in shape.’
Buchholz’s return will not be immediate, as Farrell said he expects him to continue the originally planned pitching program. He will likely go through another three bullpen sessions before throwing in simulated game situations. Farrell did not give a date to which he expects the 28-year-old to return.
If anything, Andrews’ diagnosis will help Buchholz understand what he will be pitching through as he tries to make his comeback. According to Farrell, Buchholz is unlikely to make his injury worse by pitching through the expected discomfort.
‘I think that assurance that the discomfort he is feeling is not injury related ‘ it is more about getting back into game shape ‘ I would think that there would be more readiness on his part to go through that,’ Farrell said.
Even with the Red Sox getting good news in terms of Buchholz’s injury, the diagnosis is not expected to have an effect on the Red Sox approach to the trade deadline, according to WEEI.com’s Rob Bradford.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red-Hot Red Sox Emerging as Alpha Dog in AL
- David Ortiz Passes Dave Kingman for Most HRs by a Player in His Final...
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Knee and Return
- Price Starting to Become Clutch Ace at Crucial Time
- David Ortiz Comments on Donald Trump
- Yoan Moncada to Be Recalled from Double-A Portland by Red Sox
- Moncada Could Provide Red Sox with Spark
- Podcast Ep. #106: AJ No-Teller
- Weekly Notes: Benintendi & Moncada among award winners
- SoxProspects.com 2016 season-end award winners
- Groome highlights 2016 Fall Instructional League roster
- Moncada named Baseball America's Minor League Player of the Year
- Weekly Notes: Minor league season ends, Moncada struggles in Bigs
- Cup of Coffee: Salem's narrow loss ends season for whole system
- Podcast Ep. #105: MoncadainBoston
- Cup of Coffee: Devers helps keep Salem alive, Lowell eliminated
- Scouting Scratch: Jason Groome