Monday’s Red Sox-Rays matchups: Brandon Workman vs. Matt Moore
|07.22.13 at 11:25 am ET|
Workman (0-0, 5.40 ERA) was stellar in his first career start, holding the Athletics without a hit through six innings. However, it was the seventh inning that proved costly to Workman, as he allowed a leadoff single and a two-run home run in the first three batters he faced in the inning — tying the game and ending his chance at a win along with his lost no-hit bid. He finished the game having allowed two runs through 6 1/3 innings while walking one and striking out five.
“He was very poised, very good mound presence, good composure,” Red Sox manager John Farrell told reporters after the game. “I thought he had very good stuff. He stayed out of the middle of the plate for most of the day, multiple pitches for strikes.”
That outing was considerably better than his first game in the majors, when he allowed three doubles and a home run in his first inning of relief in a win over the Mariners on July 10. Workman settled down after that first inning, though, retiring the next three batters in order — striking out two of them.
One thing Workman has done effectively in his short stint in the majors has been striking hitters out. The 24-year-old has recorded nine strikeouts through the 31 batters he has faced, which is good for around 29 percent. For comparison, Clay Buchholz has struck out around 25 percent of the batters he has faced this season.
Moore (13-3, 3.44 ERA) has recovered nicely as of late after having a rough start to June. Moore, who was 0-3 with a 13.86 ERA through his first three starts in June, is 5-0 with a 1.91 ERA in his five starts since then. He has recorded 40 strikeouts while holding opponents to a .161 batting average over that stretch.
Last time out, Moore lost a 23-inning-plus shutout streak and allowed three runs on three hits and two walks through 7 1/3 innings in a win over the Twins. Moore continued an impressive stretch of keeping balls in the ballpark, as he has only allowed one home run in his last 11 starts (since May 14).
Moore has already faced the Red Sox once this year, and he emerged with a 5-3 win on May 14. The 24-year-old lefty allowed three runs on only three hits and two walks while striking out eight in the game. However, he is 0-1 with a 6.75 ERA in two career games at Fenway Park.
Rays vs. Workman (RHP)
No Rays batters have faced Workman.
Red Sox vs. Moore (LHP)
Dustin Pedroia (12 plate appearances): .182 BA/.250 OBP/.273 SLG, 1 double, 1 walk, 3 strikeouts
David Ortiz (11): .500/.545/1.000, 2 doubles, 1 home run, 4 RBIs, 1 walk
Jonny Gomes (9): .222/.222/.333, 1 double, 2 RBIs, 4 strikeouts
Stephen Drew (5): .400/.400/.600, 1 double, 1 strikeout
Jacoby Ellsbury (4): .000/.500/.000, 1 RBI, 1 walk
Mike Napoli (3): .000/.000/.000, 2 strikeouts
Daniel Nava (3): .000/.000/.000, 1 strikeout
Shane Victorino (3): .000/.000/.000, 1 strikeout
Ryan Lavarnway (2): .000/.000./000, 1 strikeout
Jarrod Saltalamacchia (1): .000/.000./000
Mike Carp, Jose Iglesias and Brandon Snyder have not faced Moore.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Cup of Coffee: Witte walks off for Portland, Buttrey goes seven strong for Salem
- Cup of Coffee: Kopech drives Greenville past Charleston
- Cup of Coffee: Gunkel grabs first Double-A win, Craig reaches five times
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada breaks out, PawSox lose heartbreaker
- Cup of Coffee: Johnson goes six strong, Moncada picks up first hit
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada era begins; phenom scores twice in slugfest
- Weekly Notes: Moncada set to debut, Brian Johnson keeps producing
- Cup of Coffee: Kopech and Haley solid, Tejeda swinging a hot bat
- Yoan Moncada to debut with Greenville on Monday
- Cup of Coffee: Witte nearly hits for the cycle, Devers strong for Greenville